• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More Border Screwups

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Murgen said:
You did a good job of catching that one 31 month old a couple of weeks ago that happened to be Canadian but what about all the others that were born in the USA and slid through on a UTM line?

The US did not find this cow, the CFIA, realized the mistake while auditing the shipment. They then notified the USDA.
I should have been more clear as my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.

My point is that if she hadn't been Canadian she would have slid through an UTM line (if there are such things in the US) without a peep.

Kato said:
Does anyone know exactly how the CFIA audited a shipment after it had left the country? I don't get this. :???: :???:

Was "31 months old" written on the export papers? Not likely. It would never have been signed off and been endorsed for export.

Or did the CFIA send someone to check teeth at the other end?

How do you audit a shipment after it leaves the country and find an older animal on it?
#1-No
#2-No
#3-No
#4- from our end...you don't. You double inspect it before the dam thing leaves as you know there are some who will subject that shipment to scrutiny they would never subject their domestic herd to.

Bill said:
Murgen said:
You did a good job of catching that one 31 month old a couple of weeks ago that happened to be Canadian but what about all the others that were born in the USA and slid through on a UTM line?

The US did not find this cow, the CFIA, realized the mistake while auditing the shipment. They then notified the USDA.

My point is that if she hadn't been Canadian she would have slid through an UTM line (if there are such things in the US) without a peep.

According to line inspector that kind of thing happens all the time in the US. But when questioned they are told to just look the other way. There were stories about how OTM beef was being shipped in boxes marked UTM beef to Mexico when they ban OTM beef. If that animal was inspected three times and only one of those times was in Canada then the US should shoulder twice the blame but they won't it will be all Canada's fault and we will be the ones paying for the mistake that Canada found and reported. At least Canada is trying to play by the export rules, but like usual the rules are different in the US. Their rules are Do as I say not as I do, and of course what the public doesn't know won't hurt them. I'm glad Canada is honest though as we can hold our heads high and say we are doing what we have to to protect our consumers. If Oldtimers is right about Japan watching and wondering at least they are seeing Canada reporting mistakes as soon as they are found and trying to straighten them out. Unlike the US telling their inspectors their didn't see what they know they saw.

Tam said:
Bill said:
Murgen said:

According to line inspector that kind of thing happens all the time in the US. But when questioned they are told to just look the other way. There were stories about how OTM beef was being shipped in boxes marked UTM beef to Mexico when they ban OTM beef. If that animal was inspected three times and only one of those times was in Canada then the US should shoulder twice the blame but they won't it will be all Canada's fault and we will be the ones paying for the mistake that Canada found and reported. At least Canada is trying to play by the export rules, but like usual the rules are different in the US. Their rules are Do as I say not as I do, and of course what the public doesn't know won't hurt them. I'm glad Canada is honest though as we can hold our heads high and say we are doing what we have to to protect our consumers. If Oldtimers is right about Japan watching and wondering at least they are seeing Canada reporting mistakes as soon as they are found and trying to straighten them out. Unlike the US telling their inspectors their didn't see what they know they saw.
It's sad but there are times when I get tired of always taking the high road. What bothers me about the Japanese is that CBEF seems to be taking a wait and see attitude and appears to be satisfied to let the Americans beat us back into that market. On the Alberta Beef magazine website http://www.beefnews.com/index.php and out of 1414 votes, 3/4 support mandatory testing of all Canadian animals for BSE.

Pretty overwhelming.

Tam said:
Bill said:
Murgen said:

Tam If Canada's system is so great and the US system so bad-- why do you want to pass your beef off as a US product? Why aren't Canadians protesting the relabeling of their beef?Instead you spend your time blaming R-CALF who is fight for true labeling....

Face it Tam- it won't sell unless its passed off now as a US product- so you better hope the US system doesn't go under........

Ot, I have once again made the colossal mistake of reading something you wrote, even after I vowed to never do so again.

When has any Canadian producer said that they wanted their product labelled as Product of USA? Why would we? I'm sure most of us have friends and other contacts in the US that tell us that they haven't been able to buy decent hamburger since the border was closed to older animals. Maybe those old Mexican cactus fed Brahmas just don't taste quite the same as the grain or grass fed animals from the cold "Canadian North".

You have been enjoying our boneless young beef for some time now and the US industry has been happy to take credit for the quality of that product. Are you really sure it is the Canadian producer that doesn't want the infamous COOL? It could be that yourself and others like you in the USA really enjoy passing our often superior product off as your own!

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Bill said:

Tam If Canada's system is so great and the US system so bad-- why do you want to pass your beef off as a US product? Why aren't Canadians protesting the relabeling of their beef?Instead you spend your time blaming R-CALF who is fight for true labeling....

Face it Tam- it won't sell unless its passed off now as a US product- so you better hope the US system doesn't go under........

If Canada,s beef is so bad..why does the U.S.D.A insist on putting its label on it...Is it because they can,t find enough quality beef south of the line

P.S. OT, Your system may well "go under" and if it does it may hurt Canadian producers for a short time, but we will come out stronger just as our industry will after the BSE farce is over.
If you don't stop putting all kinds of crap in your feeds, if your country does not even try to legislate some kind of law to deal with the thousands of feed violations of the very loose feed regulations you have, and if you keep telling the world beef is not safe, your industry may "go under" and guess what? It won't be Canada's fault!

Oh, by the way, back to a couple weeks ago, Border Ranchers here don't carry firearms, we live in Canada and whether we feel it is right or wrong, IT IS THE LAW!

Border rancher said:
P.S. OT, Your system may well "go under" and if it does it may hurt Canadian producers for a short time, but we will come out stronger just as our industry will after the BSE farce is over.
If you don't stop putting all kinds of crap in your feeds, if your country does not even try to legislate some kind of law to deal with the thousands of feed violations of the very loose feed regulations you have, and if you keep telling the world beef is not safe, your industry may "go under" and guess what? It won't be Canada's fault!

And I agree with you- and that is the position R-CALF has taken - to strengthen our feed bans and BSE firewalls....But it is a major fight when you have some of the other so called cattlemens organizations backing the Packers and Packer bought USDA that are thinking the short term economical gain of not shutting down the feed bans and BSE firewalls is worth the long term risk it puts the whole cattle industry in......

I'm stirring Oltimer????? You opened this subject with your interpertaion of what the Japanese are saying. I followed up YOUR words asking for clarrifcation.

an oldfart repeating myself. "I believe I can understand your animosity towards anyone that asks for clarrifcation on a matter."

Can you point out where in my two posts that I was "stirring sh*t - just like Nebrusker did and got removed." ?

The compliment -speaks like a Canuck- is okay with me but I've sure never delt with any cattle folks from Montana that speak like you do

quoting oldtimer-
oldfart- And what area of the US do you come from? Saskatoon? You talk with a Canadian accent-eh? Only a Canadian would take the statement old and bred cows and think it means old bred cows- eh....I'll bet your French too, since you want me to do the work over again rather than look for yourself- then if I show it to you won't believe it anyway

Frenchie- I gave you my answer- both on here and on cattletoday- and oldfart is a wolf in sheeps clothing- speaks like a Canuck- and until he puts his website, name, and picture on this site like I have I'll call him what he is-- A Saskatchewan Canadian putting himself out to be an American to stir up sh*t - just like Nebrusker did and got removed.......Prove me wrong.....And I didn't call him a frechman because of you- just the historical french way of saying things that aren't true-Chiraque, Chretien, goes all the way back to old DeGaulle- communist leanings all the way.... .........

I wonder what Oldtimers local prices are for old and bred cows verses old bred cows . Im not xpecting an answer.

did you get my ip number that time boss or are you eagle? I was reminded that oldtimer was a monitor and has had access to that information wen anybody talks on here (thanks RP I know your reading and don't try explaining ip to me again).

you can kick me out now Ive said my piece and will continue to buy and sell on both sides of the border as long as im able,

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Bill said:

I have asked you numerous time, we label it Product of Canada Oldtimer it looses that label when it hits the US so who is really passing Canadian beef off as US beef? :? We have nothing to do with what happens to the beef once it enters the US. If the US beef industry wants to claim our beef as US beef what are we to do about it. I'm sure if the Canadian producers thought protesting to the US governemnt would do us any good we would have been down there protesting. But why would they listen to us about labeling our high quality beef, product of Canada, when they are make big bucks selling it to other countries as US beef. And why should I face it Oldtimer we are selling everything we can process and when it leaves Canada it is marked PRODUCT OF CANADA so what makes you think nobody wants it. It is your deceaving industry that are laying claim to our meat not the other way around. :roll:
Besides according to M"COOL" you will only be labeling the meat counter beef so if the US consumer sees only US beef in the meat counter why wouldn't they automatically figure food service beef is the same and is also US beef. You talk about fraud that would also be fraud as you are not telling the consumer the food service food is imported are you? So CANADIAN BEEF sold through food service outlets will also be sold as US beef under the save the industry M"COOL" law.

Latest posts