• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More BSE from the Alberta Cluster Area?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060122/mad_cow_060122/20060122?hub=TopStories

OTTAWA — Federal agriculture inspectors are looking into the possibility of another case of mad cow disease, a spokesman for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said Sunday.

"We have an ongoing testing program for BSE and that means from time to time we undertake confirmatory tests when we come up with a suspicious sample," said Mark Van Dusen.

"We are undergoing such testing on a suspicious sample."

Van Dusen said the animal must go to a Winnipeg lab for final tests. Inspectors should know within 48 hours if they have another case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy on their hands.

He said there are no indications that any part of the animal entered the human-food or animal-feed systems.

Canada's beef and dairy cattle breeding industry remains shut out of American markets since BSE was discovered in an Alberta cow in May 2003.

The Americans reopened their border to young cattle last July after the two-year ban brought on by fear of mad cow disease.

When that happened, many people believed the crisis, which has cost Canada's cattle industry more than $7 billion, was finally over.

But Canada has a surplus of about 900,000 older-cull cattle that can't be shipped south because of lingering concerns they may harbour a risk of BSE.

Van Dusen couldn't confirm the age of the animal currently being tested but said it is definitely older than 30 months. Younger cattle are believed to have a lower risk of developing BSE.

He said he is aware of rumours the animal is from Alberta.

OT- I just finished reading this entire article from ctv's website. Seems to me you cut the article short. Typical R-calfer!! :roll:

Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT- I just finished reading this entire article from ctv's website. Seems to me you cut the article short. Typical R-calfer!! :roll:

I gave you the whole link connection....And this I copied from what a Canuck had put on Agriville--Typical dumb Canuck--Eh?!!!

Maybe he wised up and became an R-CALFer too :wink: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer- I dont think theres any Canadians stupid enough to join R-calf. Only one stupid enough to join up with R-calf would be the unemployed Paul Martin!! :roll:

Latest posts