• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More for Gelbvieh Enthusiasts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Old Dog: link seemed to work from here.
NR, Thanks....have not ultrasounded, seemed to be big around here a few years ago, but not as prevelant now. Always open to suggestions. Does it make a big/small difference in your bull purchasing?

It breaks the tie if all things are equal. Those bulls of yours look like they'd have really good yields-just curious as to what level of marbling they have. I was looking at a sale catalogue online and the Simm/angus bulls had more marbling with less bf than the straight Angus bulls which I found a bit intriguing. The carcass ultrasound gives a person a quick snapshot of how the bulls were developed-I've seen some Angus bulls with over a half inch of backfat this spring. It's another bit of data to put to use-I think those cattle of yours would look good. I was at a place that had it but wouldn't show it to anybody because they thought commercial men wouldn't understand it-that impressed me a whole bunch.

Thanks for the input. It hasn't really come up before, so not sure of the value in selling, although I can see the value in just my own benchmarks. If there was a particular bull you had in mind, I would certainly look into having it done in time for the sale. (Am checking into on farm schedules)
Last year, I had an unforunate incident that had one our our "best fed" bulls (show) die right at the vet clinic. As the vet did his "slice and dice", we both took notice that there was only a thin layer of fat....I would have thought there would have been more. The ultra sound would be one way of verifying that without such drastic results. That bull was out the same sire group as most of our sale animals, so I do believe he passed that trait on consistently.

Latest posts