• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More good press!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Man's illness may be related to mad cow

KEVIN CONNOR, Special to The Free Press 2005-07-28 01:34:38

TORONTO -- A patient at St. Michael's Hospital has been diagnosed with Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease -- a variant of which is the human form of mad cow disease -- family members say.

But the Ministry of Health has yet to be notified of what could be the province's first case of human mad cow.

"The ministry is unaware of a human case of mad cow in Ontario. Nothing has been reported to the ministry," spokesperson John Leatherby said.

C-JD has an incubation period of 10 to 15 years and in rare cases can, for unknown reasons, occur naturally. There is no known cure.

The form of C-JD not related to mad cow is a disease that affects the central nervous system and kills about 30 Canadians annually, about one in one million people.

"There is a variant which is associated with mad cow that occurs spontaneously and usually occurs in the elderly," said Dr. Don Lowe, the chief microbiologist at Mount Sinai Hospital.

To date, there has been only one confirmed fatal case of mad cow disease in Canada.

For a 100-per-cent positive diagnosis, a patient's brain must be examined after death.

Even if a patient is suspected of having a communicable disease such as C-JD, by law it must be reported, Lowe said.

Health officials at St. Michael's refused to discuss the case because of patient confidentiality rules.

John Erb, 72, a senior cleric in the Anglican Church of Canada, got sick in May and was admitted to St. Michael's in early July. His son Nicholas says he can't believe how his father's health has deteriorated.

"We think he is conscious, but is not responding verbally," he said.

John Erb was executive director of Toronto's Anglican Foundation, which supports special church projects. Before that, he was rector of the Church of St. Michael and All Angels in Toronto for 16 years.

The London Free Press

CJD is not the same as vCJD. If CJD was the same as 'Mad Cow for humans' as you suggest, the US has had many cases. Sorry OT, you missed again.

SASH said:
CJD is not the same as vCJD. If CJD was the same as 'Mad Cow for humans' as you suggest, the US has had many cases. Sorry OT, you missed again.

Sorry Sash -- I didn't write that-- That is a London Free Press article-- and they are the ones that credited it to being associated with Mad Cow- which is being read by the people of the world..... :?

I thought maybe some of the intellectual readers on here (maybe even 1 or 2 Canadians) might be interested in what is being printed about Mad Cow and Canada-- but I guess your not one of those? You must be one of those "ostrich Canucks" that would rather not no, so you can blame all your worldly problems on R-CALF.. :???:

You better check this out SASH- it must have been written by R-CALF's United Kingdom chapter..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be one of those "ostrich Canucks" that would rather not no, so you can blame all your worldly problems on R-CALF..

Not all my worldly problems. A few are caused by my ex-wife and of course our Liberal government. :wink:

SASH said:
You must be one of those "ostrich Canucks" that would rather not no, so you can blame all your worldly problems on R-CALF..

Not all my worldly problems. A few are caused by my ex-wife and of course our Liberal government. :wink:

I feel for you :lol: :lol:

Here is the CCA's rebuttal to the above mentioned article. Unlike RCALF, a real cattlemen's org. would not use such an article to instill fear among the consumer.

Re: "Killer brain illness in T.O." (July 28):

This article contains a number of inaccuracies that might leave your readers with the wrong impression.

Classic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) is a terrible disease that affects 30 to 35 Canadians each year.

It has no connection to BSE ("mad cow disease").

Classic CJD mainly affects the elderly.

It's by far the most likely diagnosis of the unfortunate 72-year-old victim reported about in your newspaper.

Variant CJD is an extremely rare disease believed to be caused by consumption of specified risk materials (brains, spinal cord etc.) of cattle with BSE. Its victims have an average age of 30.

Worldwide, there have been 160 cases of variant CJD, almost all in the United Kingdom. Hundreds of thousands of cattle with BSE entered the food chain in the UK before the disease was recognized.

Canada has had one case of variant CJD. The victim had lived in the UK.

In Canada there have been three cases of BSE. Specified risk materials are removed from all cattle at slaughter to ensure food safety.

Cindy McCreath
Communications Manager
Canadian Cattlemen's
Association

The TO Sun's quick comment on Cindy's letter.
(The article clearly stated there are two forms of CJD and a determination of which form is involved can only be made by an autopsy after death)

Considering that the US has numerous cases of vCJD every year, I would be cautious about bringing up the subject. Those cases are a clear sign that the US has had Mad Cow disease in their beef herd for years.

redriver said:
Considering that the US has numerous cases of vCJD every year, I would be cautious about bringing up the subject. Those cases are a clear sign that the US has had Mad Cow disease in their beef herd for years.

Boy, you should engage brain before starting the engine. Prove it! You need to take a longer nap next time.

rancher said:
redriver said:

Boy, you should engage brain before starting the engine. Prove it! You need to take a longer nap next time.

Prove that it isn't, moron.

redriver said:
rancher said:
redriver said:

The U.S. has only had one known case of vCJD. The lady had lived in England for years before moving here.
Rump-ranger, it's one thing to be a complete idiot, but another to be a LIAR TOO!

Murgen wrote:
In Canada there have been three cases of BSE. Specified risk materials are removed from all cattle at slaughter to ensure food safety.

This article is not completely accurate either Murgen. They forgot the 1993 cow. That makes 4 total.

Mike said:
redriver said:
rancher said:

The U.S. has only had one known case of vCJD. The lady had lived in England for years before moving here.
Rump-ranger, it's one thing to be a complete idiot, but another to be a LIAR TOO!

You'd better check your facts, inbred Mike. There are vCJD cases in the US every year. Not many years ago, there was a cluster of 11 or so cases in one area in the NE US. Do you ever crawl out of your hole to listen to the news? Oh, I forgot, you watch FOX non-news, the cleansed version for the brainwashed US public.

redriver said:
Mike said:
redriver said:

You'd better check your facts, inbred Mike. There are vCJD cases in the US every year. Not many years ago, there was a cluster of 11 or so cases in one area in the NE US. Do you ever crawl out of your hole to listen to the news? Oh, I forgot, you watch FOX non-news, the cleansed version for the brainwashed US public.

There is one reported human cases of vCJD in the United States in a woman that appears to have aquired the illness from consumption of contaminated food when growing up in the United Kingdom. In the U. K., there have been around 143 human cases of suspected or confirmed vCJD from 1993, when the illness was first recognized, through December 2003. There have been six reported cases of vCJD in France and one in Italy. Since 1986, more than 180,000 cases of BSE have occurred in the U.K.in cattle, particularly dairy cattle. BSE cases have also been identified in 20 European countries, Japan, Israel, and Canada. The feeding of rendered TSE-infected animal by-products to cattle is believed to have caused the epidemic of BSE. Practices such as this have now been prohibited, resulting in a dramatic decline in the number of cases. There is one reported case of BSE in the U.S. which appears to be the result of importing cattle from Canada that may have been exposed to feed which contained meat and bone meal from rendered cattle.

From the Food and Drug administration.
This makes you a LIAR, Rumpranger. How are the gerbils doing! :wink:

Here's the link:http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/prion.html

Inbred Mike, the FDA has never distorted the facts before? They say "reported case". Reported by whom? Them? The cases in the NE US are documented, but the government has tried to hide them in an attempt to keep the public from becoming alarmed at the brewing Mad Cow problem in the US.
All of a sudden you believe everything the government tells you? How convenient, and hypocritical. You're an idiot and a moron. You can use government lies to back up your ignorance, but you can't hide from the truth.

Latest posts