• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More Mustangs---

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
We found this band with the aid of the binoculars. From past experience we thought we could ride the 4-wheelers to within a quarter mile of them and hoof it to where we could get some fine pictures. It didn't work quite that way, they were watching us at a mile away and moving out not long after.
We concluded the February roundup by the BLM must have put the fear into them.

25thApril2012DavisMtn006.jpg

We hid the machines and hiked about a mile to the water trough. The cows were on our side. The didn't move and the mustangs had to wait until we got there to scare the cows off.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j448/dandy1937

I wondered what she was looking at. Later a lone stud came in to water.

[img]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j448/dandy1937/ranchers%204-26-12/25thApril2012DavisMtn013copy.jpg

25thApril2012DavisMtn058.jpg

25thApril2012DavisMtn025.jpg

Bad things can happen, if you get caught where you shouldn't be.

25thApril2012DavisMtn064.jpg

Ol one ear made it past the round-up. He's probably the dad to that palomino colt.

25thApril2012DavisMtn047.jpg

This is the second band we found----
A couple of good looking greys.

25thApril2012DavisMtn162.jpg

Color verification please.
25thApril2012DavisMtn134.jpg

This old boy is always around and takes a pretty good picture.
25thApril2012DavisMtn112.jpg

This guy is dead to the world. We got to within six feet of him without him waking up. His mother wasn't anywhere around.

25thApril2012DavisMtn214.jpg

25thApril2012DavisMtn119.jpg

"And God took a handful of southerly wind,
blue his breath over it and created the horse."

--- Bedouin myth

Faster horses said:
What surprises me is all the variation in color.
Thanks for the amazing pictures. Fun to view. :)

FH,, What color would you call that yearling with the baby laying in front of him ?

mustang said:
Faster horses said:
What surprises me is all the variation in color.
Thanks for the amazing pictures. Fun to view. :)

FH,, What color would you call that yearling with the baby laying in front of him ?

I would call that yearling a Bay Roan because of the black mane
and tail and black points. Red roans have red mane and tail.

Mustang, your photographs have got me wondering about mountain lions in your area. I believe that I read somewhere that mountain lions prefer colt meat. With so many wild horses, do you have a large mountain lion population?

By the way, your pictures are very good!

JF Ranch said:
Mustang, your photographs have got me wondering about mountain lions in your area. I believe that I read somewhere that mountain lions prefer colt meat. With so many wild horses, do you have a large mountain lion population?

By the way, your pictures are very good!

Thanks (I needed that.)

As for the lions, I haven't seen tracks out there. H' can tell us about such things. He runs his cows in the same general area. I was talking to a friend of mine just last week, who lives about 20 miles east of the mustangs,, Wain Soper Pack Station, (builds custom packsaddles) he said two girls were walking on the outskirts of town and a lion with a collar followed them. It really put the fear into them. Wain also said there have been reports of lion sightings around Camp Williams.
(National Guard Base, in the south end of the Salt Lake Valley.)
I see quite a few coyote tracks out there. I don't think they would bother the horses much.

Latest posts