• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More on Traceability

Help Support Ranchers.net:

per

Reaction score
Billions In Meat Exports At Risk

By Rick Jordahl, Associate Editor, Pork Magazine

CattleNetwork.com

October 5, 2010

The United States is risking the loss of billions of dollars in meat exports by its inability to bring animal identification and traceability up to standards being set, and probably soon to be required, by our trading partners.

According to the U.S. Meat Export Federation, U.S. pork exports totaled $4.329 billion in 2009 while beef exports for the same period totaled $3.082 billion. That's over $7.4 billion just in those two commodities that could be in serious jeopardy due to the bureaucratic lack of resolve and various objections among some in the livestock industry.

Warnings and calls to action have been made by many whose job it is to be aware and current with animal traceability. "We need to get our traceability up to speed quickly to maintain a competitive position," says Gene Hugoson, Minnesota Department of Agriculture commissioner. "Canada, for example, is moving aggressively to put a system in place and soon may be able to respond to an emergency faster than the United States."

The United States is falling behind in this key area that could soon cost us preferred supplier status. As a result, we run the risk of being kept out of some markets while our competitors fill the need. We must be able to assure our trading partners that we can contain and eradicate animal diseases in a timely manner or our customers will buy elsewhere.

"In the more advanced (markets) we export to, like Korea, Japan and Europe, traceability schemes are already part of the fabric of their domestic industries," said Phil Seng, president and chief executive officer of the USMEF in a recent interview with Meatingplace at the World Meat Congress. "We need to take a look at what it takes for us to be globally competitive. It's critical that we address this issue and address it soon."

Great article Per,
Thanks for posting...

Folks, solid, reliable traceability needs to be the forefront of the livestock industry. If you want to compete on the world stage, you need to comply or be left out...

livestock-id said:
Great article Per,
Thanks for posting...

Folks, solid, reliable traceability needs to be the forefront of the livestock industry. If you want to compete on the world stage, you need to comply or be left out...

If this ID thing is so important- than it should be worth it to the buyers to pay more/premiums for them-- and I'm not seeing that happening- anyway in this area...
I've seen a lot of cattle sell this fall- with higher prices given to those with preconditioning shots and signed All Natural affidavits-- but not a penny more for tags...
In fact I've inspected 2 folks herds that were in past years using the ID tags- that this year aren't- and when I asked about it- said it wasn't worth the extra cost/time because they couldn't get anyone to pay any more for them...

Oldtimer said:
livestock-id said:
Great article Per,
Thanks for posting...

If this ID thing is so important- than it should be worth it to the buyers to pay more/premiums for them-- and I'm not seeing that happening- anyway in this area...
I've seen a lot of cattle sell this fall- with higher prices given to those with preconditioning shots and signed All Natural affidavits-- but not a penny more for tags...
In fact I've inspected 2 folks herds that were in past years using the ID tags- that this year aren't- and when I asked about it- said it wasn't worth the extra cost/time because they couldn't get anyone to pay any more for them...

Thanks for the comment Oldtimer,
I hear ya... truth is the American market went backwards, so until it moves forward and there is demand for verified beef, there won't be any added premium for verified livestock. But when the new regulations for Animal Disease Traceability gets put into place in 2013, the only incentive for producers to comply is increased premiums... So the government is going to have to do something with the processors and feedlots in order to make this happen... just an opinion...

My cattle are hooked into a value chain where ID is important as well as a whole bunch of other things. I get paid for the whole package. Unless you are willing to have a value chain relationship, all the ID and other stuff will not bring you extra money. Extra work that is targeted will bring in extra money. I am completely happy that not everyone is doing this because it creates value added opportunity for me. Doing something without the added effort of building the bridge to the chain is totally a waste of time. That goes for individuals, regions and Countries.

livestock-id said:

I'd like to be left out, but USDA :evil: won't leave me alone :!:

What is stopping anyone from setting up a traceability program now????
NOTHING!!! Like OT and per say...if there is a demand for it, somebody will fill it.

There was a demand for BSE tested USA beef...there was a company that wanted to supply it, but the government wouldn't allow it to happen...someone didn't want it!

The real question should be...why does the government(or someone) want a mandatory ID program forced on everybody? and who is that 'someone' behind the government???

We had better start fighting for our freedoms before we lose them all. Number one should be the ability to sell out product...BEEF...directly to consumers!

There are presently ID programs that pay more now. That cannot be argued.

Whether or not they pay ENOUGH is dependent on the individual's ranching styles/methods.

Let the markets sort it out. Government De-Regulation works everytime. Just be sure that De-Regulation is across the board for everyone involved.

livestock-id said:
Oldtimer said:
livestock-id said:
But when the new regulations for Animal Disease Traceability gets put into place in 2013, the only incentive for producers to comply is increased premiums... So the government is going to have to do something with the processors and feedlots in order to make this happen... just an opinion...

Government won't do anything to make it worthwhile. Their idea of incentive is fines and penalties for non compliance. How do you suppose they plan to make it worthwhile for privately owned non food livestock?

I don't hardly a thing about the beef traceability issue, however, I will soon be raising "grass-fed" cattle and am taking an interest in ID systems. What's the average cost per head and what information is being traced?

One article I read claimed:

"A full (life cycle) traceability program would add an estimated average of $5.97/head to the cost of cattle marketed. The estimated cost of a bookends system is roughly 79% of the full traceability system.:

Latest posts