• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Rain moved in here last night about 10:30 and we had over a half an inch when we got up this morning and it is still raining.

Last year we couldn't buy a half inch of rain.

Horseshoer is coming from Wibaux to shoe some horses for us and he said they had almost an inch. He also said that when it warms up the mosquitos will be big enough to rope!!!!!

Sure is soggy out there. JUST THE WAY WE LIKE IT!

good morning, fh!! here in ennis, it has rained off and on for two weeks...the latest started saturday night and last alllllll dayyyyyy looooong on sunday!!! stopped raining just as i was getting off work about 7:30 and then started up about midnight and just let up not too long ago!!! sun is shining now and the snow in the mountains just gleams! :D things are greener here than most folks can recall since the 60's!! cows are loving the fresh, green grass that tickles their underbellies! i still have not been able to finish my garden, though....but, beleive me..i am NOT complaining....just thinking about how nice it will be to go camping in the hills this summer with the kids and NOT have to worry about fire restrictions! :D YAAAYYYYY :D :D

Raining again here too. Had to set up a portable corral beside the road so we could get cows to pasture. We ve had around 17 inches in the last week and a half. Everything is under water. But the grass is sure tall!! :)

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Raining again here too. Had to set up a portable corral beside the road so we could get cows to pasture. We ve had around 17 inches in the last week and a half. Everything is under water. But the grass is sure tall!! :)

All I can imagine is the size of those mosquitos that are growing in your swamps-- May need twin .50 calibers to bring those down :lol:

Here I was mumbling about a few drown out areas in some of the bad draining lower areas of the irrigated fields--We only got about 3 inches in 10 days- and wouldn't have had the problem except we had irrigated all the hayfields the week before...And our turkey size skeeters are starting to hatch- supposed to be around 80 on Wed, so that should really bring them out...

You must be going to end up with some terrible crop and hay damages... :cry: :(

OT, they are calling for 89 degrees here on Wednesday. Everyone is hoping we don't get the great white combine along with those warmer temps. So far the weather bureau hasn't said much about precip at that time. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Faster horses said:
OT, they are calling for 89 degrees here on Wednesday. Everyone is hoping we don't get the great white combine along with those warmer temps. So far the weather bureau hasn't said much about precip at that time. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Great white combine? help There's a bunch of white combines in my pasture now. Harvesting away.

Faster horses said:

After you said that I had to look- They've raised our forecast up to 87 for Wed....Will be like being in a sauna, with things as moist as they are...And calling for a chance of thunderstorms

Looks like Big Muddy could be getting some showers and thunderstorms now--these moved thru the north place this afternoon and we got 1/2 an inch......

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:

After you said that I had to look- They've raised our forecast up to 87 for Wed....Will be like being in a sauna, with things as moist as they are...And calling for a chance of thunderstorms

Looks like Big Muddy could be getting some showers and thunderstorms now--these moved thru the north place this afternoon and we got 1/2 an inch......

It only looks like we should and it is raining west of us but nothing here yet. Got the mares vaccinated for West Nile today and turned the stud out with 5 mares . We plan to not breed and cull 4 older ones .

The ground here is completely saturated. Water level is so high the water is pushing out over the tops of our wells. :shock: I will take some pictures of some of the fields where they were spraying a field of wheat with a high clearence sprayer today. They had a 4 wheel drive tractor waiting at the gate to pull them out every time they got stuck. Ruts all over the field, looks like hell! And it has been raining like crazy since supper time!! Calling for another inch or two by tomorrow afternoon!

The sceeters here are the size of F-16 Tomcats!!!! :shock: :shock: :wink:

Manitoba_Rancher said:
The ground here is completely saturated. Water level is so high the water is pushing out over the tops of our wells. :shock: I will take some pictures of some of the fields where they were spraying a field of wheat with a high clearence sprayer today. They had a 4 wheel drive tractor waiting at the gate to pull them out every time they got stuck. Ruts all over the field, looks like hell! And it has been raining like crazy since supper time!! Calling for another inch or two by tomorrow afternoon!

The sceeters here are the size of F-16 Tomcats!!!! :shock: :shock: :wink:

That's just stupid to try to spray a field that wet.

We have had 14 inches in 10 days, fields are sitting and might not get sprayed. My first seeded is pretty clean so I am not worried about it.

Biggest challenge might be that some of the fields need a top dressing of N to produce the maximum yield with this windfall moisture.

Funny the flood of the century was 10 years ago and this one was as bad in some areas worse in others. But overall the moisture does more good than harm.

Latest posts