• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More Snow Pics from Today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
Last night and today it snowed a bunch... I'm guessing around 2 feet. It's snowing again tonite.

Yearling heifers ready for some hay.
3326_1132075709130_1444388060_343479_2486254_n.jpg

3326_1132075749131_1444388060_343480_2233097_n.jpg

It got a tad deep in places, and was heavy, wet, sticky snow :).
3326_1132075789132_1444388060_343481_6962408_n.jpg

Another day...another snowstorm.
3326_1132075869134_1444388060_343483_6658518_n.jpg

3326_1132075909135_1444388060_343484_4242182_n.jpg

This is the smartest calf on the ranch :lol:. He was in my younger, unbranded pairs group.
3326_1132075949136_1444388060_343485_430664_n.jpg

Pitiful looking little tree.
3326_1132075989137_1444388060_343486_1666888_n.jpg

Supposed to be in the 60's next week... can hardly wait :D.

Yep, this is fairly typical on a "normal" year up here :D. That's why I try to get things calved out before the end of March. February/March calving can be rough if it's cold, but nothing as hard as this IMO... and I tried April/May calving and couldn't move them back to February fast enough...it about killed me off :lol:. To eliminate most calving weather concerns, a start date of May 15 would be appropriate for up here... but that doesn't work with a forest permit.

It still is WHITE GOLD, I'm just a little gun shy using the smileys :D . It snowed another 4 inches last night... and a weather station east of here is saying we're at 30 inches with this storm...so far. More's on the way today :D. I think in the past two weeks, we're bumping 6 feet of snow. I still say BRING IT ON since we're so close to May... this would be a disaster if it was coming in January though :wink:. The grass is going to be great!!! :D

WyomingRancher said:
Yep, this is fairly typical on a "normal" year up here :D. That's why I try to get things calved out before the end of March. February/March calving can be rough if it's cold, but nothing as hard as this IMO... and I tried April/May calving and couldn't move them back to February fast enough...it about killed me off :lol:. To eliminate most calving weather concerns, a start date of May 15 would be appropriate for up here... but that doesn't work with a forest permit.

It still is WHITE GOLD, I'm just a little gun shy using the smileys :D . It snowed another 4 inches last night... and a weather station east of here is saying we're at 30 inches with this storm...so far. More's on the way today :D. I think in the past two weeks, we're bumping 6 feet of snow. I still say BRING IT ON since we're so close to May... this would be a disaster if it was coming in January though :wink:. The grass is going to be great!!! :D

Since our snow has pretty well melted off and with our 60-70 degree forecast for the next week, I'm not so apt to threaten to slap you any more :) :) :)

Richard Doolittle said:
WyomingRancher said:

Since our snow has pretty well melted off and with our 60-70 degree forecast for the next week, I'm not so apt to threaten to slap you any more :) :) :)

CHOKE Richard, ... I think you used the word choke :shock:. I must admit I'm a little scarred from it... :lol:. Glad to hear you're warming up and drying up some.

Thanx for the pictuere story,spring is close,I just wonde how many feet of that white gold it takes to make an inch of water,was hunting in Gillete Wyoming one year and seemed like we had to melt 3 foot of snow for one cup of coffe :D
good luck

WyR, I have a tractor wheel that looks a lot like that, only it's gumbo mud instead of snow! :shock: :shock: :wink: :lol:

WyomingRancher said:
Richard Doolittle said:
WyomingRancher said:

CHOKE Richard, ... I think you used the word choke :shock:. I must admit I'm a little scarred from it... :lol:. Glad to hear you're warming up and drying up some.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were so vulnerable to harsh language :wink: Ok, the sympathy is over so now suck it up and get over it. You got cows to feed as soon as your weather lets up enough to get around!! :) :) :)

Spent the day getting pairs moved to summer pasture...Temp got in the low 60's - nice day- and it would have been a perfect day if the wind hadn't came up this afternoon about 25-40 mph....

Still have snowbanks in some of the coulees- and many still running water..

They are predicting temps of near 80 for Tuesday and Wednesday- before the next front moves in with cooler temps (50's/60's) and possibly more rain :D :D :D

Keep telling yurself that someday it'll all be "GREEN" instead of white..lol Fortunatly we're just getting a nice rain last nite and today,,and hardly any wind either..that alone is amazing...How's your heat situation?

Rain...what's that exactly :lol:. Still no furnace, and the house people offered to send someone out (HA HA HA!!!) since they'll fix any problems for a full year. I told them I'd call next week when I've got a tunnel opened up. It's all good!

And Richard, where did you get that advice before??? :lol:. We actually did make it out to feed this afternoon. It warmed to 45 degrees, and the snow settled some... of course it snowed most of the day too! I'm guessing close to 30 inches total, but don't really know for sure. Jim drove the tractor in case we ran over a boulder, it would be HIS FAULT, I was co-pilot for the day :wink:.

HAY MAKER said:
Thanx for the pictuere story,spring is close,I just wonde how many feet of that white gold it takes to make an inch of water,was hunting in Gillete Wyoming one year and seemed like we had to melt 3 foot of snow for one cup of coffe :D
good luck

Yep, fall/winter snow can't compare to spring snow. Denver news said this morning that it took 8.5 inches of snow for an inch of moisture with this storm. I estimate 30 inches here, so roughly 3.5 inches of precipitation. Nice thing about the snow, it doesn't run off, it's slowly soaking in :wink: . The sun's really bright this morning, and is already 40 degrees, so it shouldn't last long! :D

Amazing,it was 80 degrees here yesterday,looks good for today also,keep your chin up guys 8) .Count your lucky stars you have a good water bank for this year :wink:

Well, other than a couple "3 dog nights", it sounds like you're getting along fine. Enjoy the snow while it lasts, because it's going to go fast :) You must have really porous ground if you don't expect any running water out of that much snow.

On the bright side you have your Christmas card photo for '09 :D
That is a whack of snow and makes life tough. We started in a similar challenge last year at the end of april. Some neighbours lost hundreds of calves.
Good luck and hoping for a thaw.

So are ya seeing anything besides white stuff yet?? It was so beautiful here today,,but talking rain again for the weekend...I'm thinking MAYBE I can retire my coveralls soon!!!!

Not yet, but it really melted a lot yesterday and today. About 4 inches left on the level. Things are lookin' up :D. One other advantage to these storms, besides moisture, is that it helps to sift any junk out of the herd. I lost a brisket calf today...it was inevitable, this storm just sped the process up :wink:. I'd just as soon have any garbage show up now and get rid of the cow this spring, then wait for it to die later in the year. Cull cows have been in the low 50's :D.

Latest posts