• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Morris Magnum CP725

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I'm trying get my Morris Cultivator back in shape to pull some hay field levelers. The wings don't want to lift. I was wondering if anybody has had experience with one of these. Could it be the cylinder packing or maybe the little bypass that seems to hook both hydraulic lines together?

I know there is probably "Farmer" forums but I'm counting on you guys. :D

I'd look to see if the hinge points are rusted. I've had that happen on my corn planter no amount off hydraulics would move it. Took heat from the torch and a BFH.

Denny said:
I'd look to see if the hinge points are rusted. I've had that happen on my corn planter no amount off hydraulics would move it. Took heat from the torch and a BFH.

I don't think it's that as when i pulled the pin to unlock to let them down one fell kinda quickly :shock: :eek:

The other one let down on hydraulics but won't pull up. :?

The packings could be stuck or bypassing or there could be frozen condensation somewhere either in the hoses or rams. You can test Denny's theory by lifting the wings with your loader.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Denny said:

I don't think it's that as when i pulled the pin to unlock to let them down one fell kinda quickly :shock: :eek:

The other one let down on hydraulics but won't pull up. :?

I'd suspect old cracked packings then.

I would vote for the packing in the cylinder. I have a kuhn tedder that has that problem on one side. Will be putting new packing in shortly.

don't want to state the obvious but are the remotes hooked up right,lift for the cultivator..lift for the wings...not crossed up? did one side of the remotes "pop" when the one wing fell...how long since it was used last? bad packing's should still allow it to lift somewhat..

hayguy said:
don't want to state the obvious but are the remotes hooked up right,lift for the cultivator..lift for the wings...not crossed up? did one side of the remotes "pop" when the one wing fell...how long since it was used last? bad packing's should still allow it to lift somewhat..

hayguy, any farmer would know to check that first before asking, wouldn't he?:???:

I would say that I spent a thousand bucks on repairing a cylinder before I'd ever admit to something like that . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

burnt said:
hayguy said:

hayguy, any farmer would know to check that first before asking, wouldn't he?:???:

I would say that I spent a thousand bucks on repairing a cylinder before I'd ever admit to something like that . . .

It's been slow lifting since i bought it and it hasn't been used for a few years. I don't farming any land so it's been sitting with the wings up. Thought it was time i put it to work leveling hay fields. :?

The Cult lifts and the hoses are small ones for the wings. :?

burnt said:
hayguy said:

Yup, your right :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
burnt said:
hayguy said:

It's been slow lifting since i bought it and it hasn't been used for a few years. I don't farming any land so it's been sitting with the wings up. Thought it was time i put it to work leveling hay fields. :?

I hope you know that I'm just jerkin' your chain.

So I had to google the name at the top of the thread to know what you're talking about. :oops: And I'm supposed to be the farmer. lol

So are you putting seed down with it or just knocking down gopher holes?

Couple yrs ago we had a field cult. that wouldn't lift. Discovered a bent brace from tongue back to one side that was putting lift cyl in a bind. Straightened brace and fixed problem.

burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
burnt said:

I hope you know that I'm just jerkin' your chain.

So I had to google the name at the top of the thread to know what you're talking about. :oops: And I'm supposed to be the farmer. lol

So are you putting seed down with it or just knocking down gopher holes?

just leveling the fields :D

hayguy said:

:nod:

katrina said:
hayguy said:

:nod:

Seems like I'm not the only one who knows about this lil problem from experience? :lol:

We have the same cultivator. I think it is the seal on the end of the shaft in the cylinder letting oil past it. They have a bypass in them when the wings are all the way up but it only works when the cylinder is fully extended, if i remember correctly. I think it is just a simple seal kit in the cylinders. We have done ours before, due to them leaking around the shaft in the end cap, but we just do a complete kit when this happens. Never actually had your problem before. If one of the cylinders is passing, neither wing will go up though.

North Ridge Ranching said:
We have the same cultivator. I think it is the seal on the end of the shaft in the cylinder letting oil past it. They have a bypass in them when the wings are all the way up but it only works when the cylinder is fully extended, if i remember correctly. I think it is just a simple seal kit in the cylinders. We have done ours before, due to them leaking around the shaft in the end cap, but we just do a complete kit when this happens. Never actually had your problem before. If one of the cylinders is passing, neither wing will go up though.

Do you know what degree of shovel your cultivator uses? How to tell?

Latest posts