• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mountains out of Molehills...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
I'm sure most people have heard the old saying "making mountains out of molehills".
Well I have moles(pocket gophers) that actually do this!!! :mad:

I was out cutting some hay in the swamp today. It was flooded most of the year so all of the moles moved onto any little patch of higher ground they could find and congregated there.
Anyway, I was roaring along, across a semi-high knoll thick with grass and clover, and hit one of these "mole-mountains" dead center in the swather(right in the conditioner). It nearly stalled it!!! This thing was easily 6 feet by 6 feet and a good foot and a half high!! :x
I don't know how many extra dollars people spend every year because of these little $#&@'ers, but I bet it is lots!!! Wear on knives and guards, slower ground speeds,(never mind I spilled my beer)!!!
I HATE MOLES. DEATH TO ALL MOLES EVERYWHERE!!!! PETA can KMA unless they are willing to pay for the damage that that these "sweet little critters" do!!!
End of rant!!! :lol:

You must have huge I mean HUGE moles out up there. Our little fellers just raise the ground an inch or two. "Rancher" told me to get an outdoor cat. so we did get a kitten but he disappeared the day we left for our trip :(
Afraid a fox or owl got him. But Rancher swears by them completely irradicating his mole problem killing at least 4 a day.

Tim......going along, reading about your run in with the notorious vermin whe the part about the beer caught my eye....gotta ask, though....you wouldn't be related to my hubby, would ya??? :shock: THAT part about the beer sounds sooooo much like him :wink: :wink: We fight those %#@%! things all the time around here and YES, they leave some mighty big hills in their wake....the 18 year old likes to take his "spare time" and try and drown them out with a bucket of water and then have someone else waiting at the other end with a shovel!! :eek: Not a bad method for a small area, but does not do much good for 9000 acres!! :roll:

nr said:
You must have huge I mean HUGE moles out up there. Our little fellers just raise the ground an inch or two. "Rancher" told me to get an outdoor cat. so we did get a kitten but he disappeared the day we left for our trip :(
Afraid a fox or owl got him. But Rancher swears by them completely irradicating his mole problem killing at least 4 a day.

NR, I was talking about in the yard and garden. Sorry to hear you lost your kitten, owls, hawks and coyotes are hell on mine. I see lots of neighbors with prairie dog holes in their meadows, bet that is hell on machinery.

Latest posts