• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Moved Cows Yesterday

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed said:
gcreekrch said:
per said:
Good thing for the follow up dog. Those grazers can get distracted by suspected grass under the snow on the way. We moved a bunch a couple of miles down a road the other day and they were pretty interested in the grass the MD mowed and left. It took a couple of hours to go a couple of miles. Of course we are never in a hurry to pass by unutilized grass that has no owner.

Didn't Robert Duval and Kevin Costner get in trouble for that kind of management? :p

One of the early ranch owners in this area had a similar reputation. It was said, "If you ever see a thousand cows being trailed, and it looks like they don't know where they are going, they belong to so-and-so."

In this country they are called "Roadside Ranchers". :D

Very Nice Dylan... Reminds me a bit of our system. No supplement here, but we are nearing the end of our grass simply because we have more snow than in your pics. I like the cows...

Cows look good. Nice and full! How do you decide when they need to move? Do you just go so many days or can you judge how much grass is left?

gcreekrch said:
per said:
Good thing for the follow up dog. Those grazers can get distracted by suspected grass under the snow on the way. We moved a bunch a couple of miles down a road the other day and they were pretty interested in the grass the MD mowed and left. It took a couple of hours to go a couple of miles. Of course we are never in a hurry to pass by unutilized grass that has no owner.

Didn't Robert Duval and Kevin Costner get in trouble for that kind of management? :p

Damn Freegrazers :mad: :mad: :mad: :wink: :wink:

nortexsook said:
4 lbs a day around here would be about 50 cents for the cake. Then what is the value of the grazing? Then Labor (or Labour as friends north of the border say)?

How much does an acre of decent (not great but not bad) grazing land sell for around there?

Thanks again for the answers. Just trying to wrap my head around the numbers. Land here is too high.

Labor? You mean what if any do I pay myself or are you asking from an opportunity cost standpoint?

Deeded around $400 and lease around $300 unless you can find a deal.

Don't try to hard to wrap your head around the numbers you might get a headache. :)

greybeard said:
Cows look good. Nice and full! How do you decide when they need to move? Do you just go so many days or can you judge how much grass is left?

I have a pretty good idea of the stand to begin with and I monitor the coverage of the pasture as they go aiming for a moderate graze and then in addition the clencher for me is monitoring manure quality. Once manure consistency gets to firm, dark and upright for sure it is time to move or supplement more.

Latest posts