• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Moved to our leased ground.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
With this drought, I've been stewing about switching up the way I rotate pastures. And I finally talked myself into it. I usually save this place til fall. But it gets water from a developed spring up the canyon a few miles from where the trough is at. And I got to thinking it may quit. So I decided to go there now and then move to my normal summer pasture (which has a creek running through it) later in August. We shall see if the plan works. Anyway, had the kids and Hailey's fiancé here to help so we gathered and hauled them 22 miles SE.
The kids bringing them to the corral. Notice the dust. Even with the rain this old ground is bone dry.

94B53DAB-1778-4E7E-BBB5-45B5D849CC6D.jpeg

Loaded them and hauled them over. Dry over there too. But at least the grass is fair. If we can get a few storms it'll sure help.

B547EE5F-269A-4791-98A5-9FB52D6CADAC.jpeg

FE42474B-1AAD-48DB-BD1E-DF98EE205BBF.jpeg

D29E180F-1F5C-4C17-BDEA-95F852A26618.jpeg

780C9744-8A12-4CBD-B39B-F8A135DB48CF.jpeg

Sometimes you just have to mix it up. If for no other reason than to keep the cows guessing. You do look dry. We were looking that way in early April. Hopefully things will change for you too.

Your cows look to be in excellent shape. 👏👏👏
Praying for rain for you. We got a shower last night but we are hoping and praying
for more. It's very green right now and more rain would keep it that way.
Billings, MT got a deluge last night. Water running everywhere.
Thanks for what ya said about out cows. I've tried hard to take care of my grass. And it sure pays when years like this come along. I've seen some thin, tough looking cattle. But I've worked hard so that mine do as well as they can. It's impossible to starve profit out of a cow.

sure, don't miss my FS permits, the long mountain winters. You need to load up the kids come See Devils tower then maybe that other Stuff in SD. See what real ranch land without FS and BLM look like. We even feed you for a day or so..... depends on how many post you cut....

Latest posts