• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Movement to OutLaw Tail Docking

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
Type "OutLaw Tail Docking" into your Goggle Search or just read this

http://abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/s806411.htm

I rase Aussies and Dock all their tails myself - infact the local Vet (at one time) sent people with litters to me for docking.

Oh, fer cryin' out loud. And how in the world would you PROVE your dog was natural bob-tailed? Oh, I suppose a vet could do it.

We like bob-tailed dogs and that is what we pick: Natural bob-tailed dogs.

I don't care for chopping puppies tails off, and certainly would never do it; but it has been done for years and they don't seem the worse for it.

A friends dog was always hurting its tail – the Vet wanted $150 to remove it's tail + said the dog would be laid up for a week or so.

I found a joint in the tail and put a Elastrator Band on it – 3 days later I cut the tail off behind the band.

The dog never made a noise –

No Pain – All Gain

Hell we do it to sheep all the time and just let it fall off.

Or circumsision alot of those baby boys can't walk for a year after it's done lol. Docking for health reasons is perfectly acceptable but for cosmetic reasons is totally wrong-I can't stand draft horses with bobbed tails.

I got a hand -me -down Aussie Cattle Dog when she was bout 5 months old. SOOOOOO many people told me to dock her tail....but why bother @ that point. It's not in her way....nor mine.

If it's done when they are puppies it's easier on them as that artery isn't so well developed. Done on a big dog...and not done right they can bleed to death.

My Aussie Shepherds are all docked tailed but I have idea if they were born that way or docked as I took the dogs in as hand me downs also from people who didn't understand the dogs and had no room for them to run and play. I gave the dogs a job working cattle and all their so called " problems" disappeared.

Interesting fact: Off an Old calendar
Begining in the 10th century,
The English Crown levied a tax on dogs to control their number and use.
When it became evident that many peasants, dependent on their working dogs for their livelihood, could not pay the tax, the dog of a shepherd or herdsman was made exempt if his tail was "docked".

kolanuraven said:
I got a hand -me -down Aussie Cattle Dog when she was bout 5 months old. SOOOOOO many people told me to dock her tail....but why bother @ that point. It's not in her way....nor mine.

If it's done when they are puppies it's easier on them as that artery isn't so well developed. Done on a big dog...and not done right they can bleed to death.

My Aussie Shepherds are all docked tailed but I have idea if they were born that way or docked as I took the dogs in as hand me downs also from people who didn't understand the dogs and had no room for them to run and play. I gave the dogs a job working cattle and all their so called " problems" disappeared.

Faster horses said:
Cool story, kolanraven. I liked it.

And I agree that it is tramatic for older puppies to have their tail docked. By 5 months it is more an operation than a simple docking.

I'll say it again

OldDog/NewTricks said:
Find a joint in the tail and put a Elastrator Band on it – 3 days later cut the tail off behind the band.
No Pain – All Gain

"Hell we do it to sheep all the time".

On new borns to 10 days, I clamp the tail with a Hemastate(sp) (No to short cry) let then sit 5 minutes and cut the tail off - - leave the Hemastate in place for 5 more minutes to hault bleeding.

I do and will Boycott and Vet that is a member of

The World Small Animal Veterinary Association is an International Veterinary organisation with a commitment to the welfare of animals. The WSAVA's 55,000 members are drawn from 57 companion animal veterinary associations in 50 countries of the world.

They are a PETA.Org

FH

I seem to be the "dog whisperer" for all types of cattle dogs here abouts. Seem a lot of the move-in people want these types of dogs..and they are SUPER smart dogs....but then realize they can become a problem dog IF you are not hte TOP DOG!! They either don't have the room, time, dog knowledge or all of the above!!

So word has spread and the local vet contributes a lot, so thru the grapevine the dogs end up with me. Some I retrain and pass on to a good home that I approve of.....or I just keep till they are older than dirt!!!

Latest posts