• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Moving Bales

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but just seeing if anyone has any new ideas or things haven't seen. I'm going to plant some different irrigated feeds and will have lots of bales. What is the fastest and most efficient way to get them off of the pivot and to the side? Was thinking about getting a flatbed or drop deck semi trailer putting a dolly under the front and making a hitch for the three point on the tractor. Could use tractor and skid loader to load-unload. I know it would for sure be cheaper than the trailers that pull behind tractor and load themselves. Probly take two people and pieces of equip to be as fast as those though. Any ideas?

When I helped the King of Cheap in the summers he had 1200 acres of alfalfa to put up. All big squares. He had an old 48 foot flatbed with a dolly under the front that we pulled with an old 8630 JD. We had an old Case wheel loader with squeeze arms to load with. We'd tip the squares on their sides, so the strings were horizontal to the ground, then take it, tip another bale, stack one on top of the other and load 2 at a time. Get a load, take it to the edge, and unload in a stack that would be ready for tarping. 2 guys and it worked pretty slick.
He had a Buffalo round bale mover for the rounds we'd put up, but I thought it was too rough on the bales & didn't like it.

If they are rounds, you could move them with a loader to several areas, then load them onto one of those bale trailers that self unloads (tips them out). When you've got them moved to the side of the field, then bring the loader in & straighten them up however you want them. One loader, one pickup & trailer, and one man.

My grandfather had a trailer built that we use that can haul 10 round bales and be pulled behind the tractor. It is essentially what you are talking about. The trailer has a regular tongue hitch like a bumper pull with a pin. Above that is a L bracket with a stud and we have welded a flat plate with a hole in it on the 3point hay spear. Load the trailer with the tractor then pick up the trailer and haul away. Works very well if you don't have to go very far.

for my rounds I use a flat bed 5th wheel, with a 5th wheel hitch on a 3 point hitch then a wagon behind that. If fields level just pick up and go , I get out and pull the pin on the jack and raise it. Got a ball on my bale spinner too so can haul a big load if out feeding.

been using one of these for a while now, can clean a field off pretty quick even with just myself,although it does go faster when I have the boss driving the truck .

http://www.trihaulbalemovers.com/home.html

We use a buffalo bale mover that pulls behind a tractor. Hauls 8 bales at a time. We bought ours used from a neighbor only paid $3500. Sure beats needing to people and or the time that it takes to handle all those bales twice.

I bought a Kramer double arm 14 bale mover last winter. Works great, easy on bales and can either just set them off to the edge of the field or take them to the yard.

There is a bale sled made in Canada called Forster. It uses a goose neck hitch to hook to a pickup and uses hydraulics to swing to the side and dip to load and drop to unload. Loads 7 bales then pull to stack yard. I saw one moving bales off pivots down at dodge city and been looking for one ever since. I've probably not adequately described how well it worked. It worked so well, I'm surprised it hasn't become commonplace.

Forster trailers haven't been built in years, a case of being built before "it's " time ( late 70"s early 80's) i believe as these people are building one now using the same design concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztmsjJBWv90

Yeah hayguy, that's along the same idea. It was back in the 80s when I saw a forster running. It was actually the guys that make the bar 6 cake feeders that were running it. I would buy a fixerupper if I could find one. There are many alternatives, but for many reasons, the forester is the most efficient mover I've seen

Harold Forster designed and built a lot of ranch related equipment among them a slideing pencil auger mount for mix-mills, the renn grain roller, an EZon front end loader and the bale mover. a true inventor for the rancher

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/calgaryherald/obituary.aspx?n=harold-forster&pid=149827339

I had no idea who forster was or that he passed. It seems like Canada has some clever innovators - I suppose that tough winter is the mother of invention. We lost a good resource when Mr forster died.

Latest posts