• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MRJ

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Sandhusker, to answer your question re. advertising U.S. beef abroad.....we don't export imported beef, so the checkoff is not being selective when using a logo refering to the U.S. As in U.S. Meat Export Federation, which coordinates the foreign promotion and information efforts for the checkoff.

MRJ, I don't think I am following your here. Would you please explain the part about not exporting imported beef? Thanks.

This is a mistake on MRJ's part, a lot of the beef you export is Canadian.

I can't remember the added value amount, but I'm sure Agman can fill us in on the values. Amounts will decrease over the next few years!

I wonder if it's one of those "Product of" jobs that tell you where it was processed, but nothing about where it is actually from.

Murgen said:
This is a mistake on MRJ's part, a lot of the beef you export is Canadian.

I can't remember the added value amount, but I'm sure Agman can fill us in on the values. Amounts will decrease over the next few years!

Thanks Murgen, my point is, no one corrects her on these things except the R-calf people. If we had said that we would be called a liar or something worse. :mad: But it seems to be Ok if you are on the other side to post misinformation. Now maybe she can answer Sand Huskers queston.

Thanks Murgen, my point is, no one corrects her on these things except the R-calf people

Well, I'm definitely not one of them, but a proud Canadian. I say label it as such!

rancher,

It's interesting how quickly you agree with Murgen when he supports your bias rather than forming an opinion based on the facts.

Let's look at what was actually stated.

MRJ (previous): "Sandhusker, to answer your question re. advertising U.S. beef abroad.....we don't export imported beef, so the checkoff is not being selective when using a logo refering to the U.S. As in U.S. Meat Export Federation, which coordinates the foreign promotion and information efforts for the checkoff."

Murgen (in response): "This is a mistake on MRJ's part, a lot of the beef you export is Canadian."

Rancher (in response): "Thanks Murgen, my point is, no one corrects her on these things except the R-calf people."

Murgen and rancher, MRJ was referring to "EXPORTING IMPORTED BEEF" not "EXPORTING BEEF FROM IMPORTED LIVE CATTLE".

Yes we export Canadian beef, FROM CANADIAN LIVE CATTLE, but do we export imported "BEEF" from Canada? That's the question.

~SH~

Approximately half of the boxes that have been exported to the US have been "re-exported", I'll try to find the numbers later, when I get in!

~SH~ said:
rancher,

It's interesting how quickly you agree with Murgen when he supports your bias rather than forming an opinion based on the facts.

Let's look at what was actually stated.

MRJ (previous): "Sandhusker, to answer your question re. advertising U.S. beef abroad.....we don't export imported beef, so the checkoff is not being selective when using a logo refering to the U.S. As in U.S. Meat Export Federation, which coordinates the foreign promotion and information efforts for the checkoff."

Murgen (in response): "This is a mistake on MRJ's part, a lot of the beef you export is Canadian."

Rancher (in response): "Thanks Murgen, my point is, no one corrects her on these things except the R-calf people."

Murgen and rancher, MRJ was referring to "EXPORTING IMPORTED BEEF" not "EXPORTING BEEF FROM IMPORTED LIVE CATTLE".

Yes we export Canadian beef, FROM CANADIAN LIVE CATTLE, but do we export imported "BEEF" from Canada? That's the question.

~SH~

" sure, that's what they said, but they actually meant to say this. I know because they are my friend and I am always right. Thus, they are always right....even when they are wrong."

Almost all beef exprted from Canada is exported by American companies. Canadians surrender their live animals either as feeders of fat cattle to two American companies and they, in turn export beef.

rancher said:
Sandhusker, to answer your question re. advertising U.S. beef abroad.....we don't export imported beef, so the checkoff is not being selective when using a logo refering to the U.S. As in U.S. Meat Export Federation, which coordinates the foreign promotion and information efforts for the checkoff.

MRJ, I don't think I am following your here. Would you please explain the part about not exporting imported beef? Thanks.

rancher and others, that post was in answer to Sandhusker's question or comment as to why "we" advertise beef as "product of USA" in foreign countries when we do not do that in the USA. I believe the ad in question was a US Meat Federation ad, and they had the Beef Checkoff logo on it. I'm not sure I fully addressed the reason for that logo on that ad.....as I understand, it is because many commodities are involved in producing US beef......soy, corn, maybe more. It would be confusing to use all those logo's on beef ads, so by agreement between those commodities, the Beef Checkoff is used.

Re. whether there is actually imported Canadian beef sold abroad as "US Beef", I've gotten mixed messages on this subject, so am waiting for clarification of what the deal really is......if anyone really knows the answer to that question!

MRJ

Had I read all the posts on here before answering rancher, I might have said something different.

Why am I not allowed to make mistakes? This would not be the first time, and I have admitted and posted correct information in the past, contrary to some who post false information and will not admit it.

I have seen nothing so far, to indicate proof that it is fact that those two packers export Canadian beef labeled as product of USA on this or any other thread.

I don't want to pick a fight with anyone, murgen, but what is the basis for your statement. The fact that those packers import Canadian beef to the USA and also export "beef" does not prove to me that the beef they export is Canadian. Sure, it might be, but do we KNOW for a FACT that it is?

That is what I'm asking for.......a statement that either they DO export some of the Canadian product, or that NO they DO NOT, or that they DO NO KNOW due to co-mingling of the product tot he degree that exported beef MIGHT or MIGHT NOT include some Canadian product among the US product.

Rancher, I believe that, in fact, both Agman and SH have corrected me when I have been mistaken in a point I commented upon in the past. And that is no problem for me. I've never claimed to be perfect, and have freely admitted to errors.....but I do champion truth and fact, so appreciate accurate and civil correction. Sorry I can't say the same for some on the "other" side of issues!

SH, I didn't intend to differentiate between "imported beef" and "beef from imported cattle" here. If it originated from Canada either way, is it then exported as "US beef" is what I want to know.

BTW, I'm not sure I would have a problem if imported beef is re-exported under a "product of USA label". Maybe the importers would, but if the product is of the quality and to the specifications they want, I don't know why, unless they want to be picky.

MRJ

Sandhusker(I wonder if it's one of those "Product of" jobs that tell you where it was processed, but nothing about where it is actually from.)

So are the cattle industry and the beef industry are the same? You better tell Leo.

[
quote="~SH~"]rancher,

ha ha SH, I am not like you and only agree with people if they belong to NCBA or if they hate R-calf. Do you just vote straight party or do you ever cross over? You are sure quick to put down, name call, call people a liar if they are R-calf, but sure don't if they are not. I am not like that, I agree with some NCBA people and others that hate R-calf. I like to read all opinions if I agree or not. I have a good person giving me info to learn from and I doubt the person is a R-calfer. I could bet the person is not. I think Sand Husker had a good question and I would like to find out if it is true.

MRJ, my post had nothing about putting you down. I am sorry if it read that way, it was putting other people down that don't post the correct info if they know it. I guess I owe SH an apology if it comes that we don't export our imported beef. If this is true I would still like to know why we label others beef exported with our USA label.

rkaiser said:
Almost all beef exprted from Canada is exported by American companies. Canadians surrender their live animals either as feeders of fat cattle to two American companies and they, in turn export beef.

I've always herd the term "sell" where you use the term "surrender". Is that a Canadian terminology, or just your personal usage?

However, is the beef or the animal labeled as "product of Canada" or not, before or when crossing the border into the USA?

MRJ

rancher said:
MRJ, my post had nothing about putting you down. I am sorry if it read that way, it was putting other people down that don't post the correct info if they know it. I guess I owe SH an apology if it comes that we don't export our imported beef. If this is true I would still like to know why we label others beef exported with our USA label.

Nor did I take it that you were putting me down, rancher.

However, while I'm not going to take time to search the archives, I do believe both SH and Agman have corrected my errors in the past......and I have no problem with that. If I get incorrect information and pass it on, I WANT it corrected! Unfortunately, I'm pretty lonely on this website, holding that belief.

I do have to take issue with you on claiming "it seems to be OK if you are on the other side to post misinformation" and "If we had said that we would be called a liar or something worse." I'd hate to try to count the times SH has been called a liar when he, in fact, did not lie. And it would be a pretty high number to count the times supporters of R-CALF have said outrageously false things about NCBA on this site. Opinions are one thing. Stating as fact things that are not true is another. Making an honest mistake is something else. Things just aren't always as simple as is it black, or is it white?

Yes, I would like to know the "facts" about imported Canadian beef or cattle and Mexican beef and cattle and their status if and when they are sold as beef in foreign countries. And if the feeder calf from Mexico or Canada has put on three fourths of its slaughter weight eating US produced grain in a US feedlot, and is processed in a US feedlot, how do we decide how much of the beef is really "imported", anyway? It is a complex industry and the more we ranchers learn and understand about the entire system, the better able we will be to make it work for us, IMO.

MRJ

MRJ. I want to know about the boxed beef that it sold and labeled USA, not the so called feeders that ate ten days worth of grain here.

rancher said:
MRJ. I want to know about the boxed beef that it sold and labeled USA, not the so called feeders that ate ten days worth of grain here.

rancher, don't you want to know the whole picture of import/export?

Sure, maybe RIGHT NOW the Canadian imported cattle are not being fed long term.......or are they?

There is a lot more cattle coming in from Mexico and they are fed for a long time in this country. That is one reason it seems all this fuss about COOL, birth country, etc. is more than a little murky.

Anyway, with our cattle prices so high, it looks like the cattle business is pretty healthy, imports or not, except for costs of ranchers supplies and equipment jumping so with the fuel price increases. Hopefully, some refinery capacity coming into play will slow down the speculators, that facet of this price run-up no one thinks to mention very often. Think we heard today that prices may be dropping soon. Hope it is true.

MRJ

The question I have is do we import boxed beef and export it under the USA label?

rancher...The question I have is do we import boxed beef and export it under the USA label?

I think the question is just too simple rancher. She seems to dance around it.

MJ would the people at the CBB know the answer to ranchers question? If so I will write them an e-mail and post it here.

Latest posts