• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Muck Boots, steps in it.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Never had any Mucks....always wore Bogs, cause I can get them at almost wholesale.
Sounds like they really pi$$ed a lot of their customers off.

I think this is one of those opportunities for members of the ag community to speak out against HSUS. I was happy to leave a comment on Muck Boots page, as I think we all should. We know we are bigger (as in numbers) and better (strictly an IQ thing!) than HSUS, and maybe it is time that corporate businesses see that and see what can happen.

Their response...

We would like to respond to our loyal customers and provide additional information about recent posts on social media regarding a monetary donation to a local animal care organization. Our post inaccurately stated that a donation was made to The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Moreover, the post itself was inappropriate under the circumstances.
Family members of an employee who recently passed away requested that, in lieu of flowers, co-workers donate funds to the Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island, a local association founded in 1978 to solve community issues primarily related to stray cats. They are not affiliated with HSUS as the posts incorrectly stated. The money is not a corporate donation, but a collection of personal contributions from employees with the intent of remembering a beloved co-worker. While our intentions were good, the use of corporate social channels under these circumstances was inappropriate. Muck Boots has a heritage of respect for the outdoors and for nature. We apologize for the anger and confusion the posts have caused and have removed them from our social channels.

Hayguy said:
I quit wearing them because they crack and leak within a year of purchase.

Keep your receipys and they will replace them for free within a year. I went for 6 pairs in a row and then got a pair that lasted 14 months.

I wonder what might be accomplished if we who raise food animals would sort of unify our efforts into supporting local animal shelters and making some noise about what we are doing and why?

It might even work doing it through some of our ag organizations to put a bigger amount of money together and insist that they cut any ties with HSUS in order to qualify for our donation?

Seems like it might just be an opportunity to gain some positive publicity when presenting a check in local communities and support a good cause which many of us already are supporting on our own.

Any suggestions for improvement and or even a 'forget it'????

mrj

Into the Muck (boots) - (commentary)

By Emily Meredith
Author

Published on: August 7, 2014

I've been thinking about the movie Monsters Inc. For those of you without young children or friends with young children, a brief refresher: lead characters Mike and Sully, both "monsters" in the Disney-Pixar traditional sense of the word work for a company that converts children's screams into power. I've been thinking about Monsters Inc. because my Facebook news feed has been nothing if not terrifying.

Recently, The Original Muck Boots Company posted several photos of a fundraiser held on behalf of a fallen colleague. The rub? The Facebook posts tagged the benefactor of the fundraiser as none other than the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), or #HumaneSociety.

Through a lot of back and forth (and I mean a lot!) on social media channels, it came out that the donation was actually intended for the Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island (HANRI), and #HumaneSociety was mistakenly tagged in several posts.

The level of debate surrounding this episode online reached a fever pitch, and frankly, I wish my Facebook friends would fill up my Newsfeed with any.other.topic. Please, I beg of you.

I get that it was a huge social media gaff. I agree with those who argued the crucial importance of educating your social media staff on your company values, customer base and basic social media etiquette—clearly something Muck Boots did not do.

However, I was truly disturbed to see how quickly we as a community went from "ag-vocates" to angry mob. I was even more disturbed given that the heart of this matter involved the death of a human being.

Do I think it's poor form to use someone's passing as a quasi-promotional social media posting on a Friday afternoon? Yes. But I also believe that we as agriculture completely blew an opportunity for true advocacy and education and instead ran right off the cliff.

I was at a wedding six months ago and arrived at my table to find a card that said, essentially, instead of a favor, a donation had been made in my name to HSUS. My first thought was dear lord I hope not. My second thought was "ugh."

But if I had reacted in that moment how we reacted from behind our computer screens and keypads, that wedding would have been ruined. The nastiness that many of our community members posted and tweeted and aggressively messaged about on social media would have equated to me grabbing the DJ's microphone during the newly married couple's first dance and berating them for the lunacy of donating to HSUS.

A wise friend of mine remarked this week that, "you can only see the missiles, you can rarely see the diplomacy," and I think that's what bothers me the most about this whole situation—because of our hot-headed reactions and, frankly a little crazy investigative "journalism" (ahem, calling the local shelter) it obliterated any chance for organizations like the Alliance or others to work behind the scenes and find out what's really going on; to dialogue, diplomatically.

I'm proud that agriculture has found its voice. But sometimes, the courageous thing to do is to hold back and stay silent. To listen first, and respond second. At the end of Monsters Inc. Mike and Scully discover that children's laughter actually produces more energy than screams.

So maybe that's the morale of this story, not to laugh it off but, as the tagline of another Disney movie sings, to: "let it go." I think we realized here that the energy of our angry screams didn't necessarily produce the results we wanted, and maybe—just maybe—it would have been better if we had let tact, grace and diplomacy work a little "Disney" magic behind the scenes.

Muck Boots certainly mucked up, but I think ag was the one who really stepped in it.

Emily Meredith is Vice President Communications & Membership for Animal Agriculture Alliance.

http://feedstuffsfoodlink.com/blogs-muck-boots-8806?fb_action_ids=10204552196514994&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B804404676266776%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Here is one ladies perspective....

Latest posts