• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Multimin taking place of sack mineral

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond

Reaction score
Worked a bunch of pairs for a neighbor yesterday and gave every animal a multimin shot. He told us he was no longer going to feed a mineral and that shot would give them all they needed. I saw 4 minerals listed on the box, not that impressive to me.

Has anyone else done that?

I have heard of giving calves the shot as a boost or pick me up.

My ranch hands down here are firm believers in injectable vitamins for both cattle and hogs. I honestly don't know if it makes a significant difference versus mineral blocks etc but the costs are really low and the guys feel they've done the right thing.

If I can find one of the packages of that stuff here at the house I'll list out the vitamins it's supposed to contain.

multimin won't take anything over up here until they come out with a selenium free product. Nobody gives cattle selenium in my area on purpose.

From what I have learned, it might not hurt but is no substitute for feeding mineral. It needs to be given more than once a year, more like at least 4 times a year. Also it contains no calcium or phos; mainly Multimin is a very poor way to try to distribute mineral. First there is no vit. And very little mineral in it and second you have to get your cattle into a chute 3 or 4 times a year

It provides some manganese, zinc, selenium and/or copper. I think you need a prescription to get it.

I would think it is probably better than nothing - - - If you were to buy some that had been shorted you could give the shot and then start them on a good program.

George said:
I would think it is probably better than nothing - - - If you were to buy some that had been shorted you could give the shot and then start them on a good program.

For a situation like that it might be a quick fix until you could make a good balanced mineral available. Sort of like giving B12 shots...short lasting but effective for a day or so. Cattle need a good loose mineral available and as FH said it's a lot easier than penning and injecting everything with something some don't even need.

Wasn't my place to say anything but I didn't agree with his theory. All I am there for is to sort and keep the alley full....

I gave a shot to all my heifers before bull turnout hoping to increase conception like the label claims. I had them eating all the loose mineral they want to consume, so probably was a waste of money. I thought it would maybe work but our conception rate was no different than previous years. Don't believe I will spend the money again, not too mention the stuff is fairly expensive IMHO.

Probably would really work for you if you weren't on a mineral program.

I agree with some that it might work good on a set of neglected cattle to supplement a mineral program, but if they are on good mineral my vet says it's probably a waste of time and money.

I have heard of guys giving it to calves at weaning time as somewhat of a stress eliminator.

Latest posts