• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Musicians here?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sierraman

Reaction score
Curious, anyone else here with a great interest in music? I play the violin and some piano. I can play almost anything on the violin, and just hymns on the piano. Anyone here play an instrument? :)

Guitar. The most enjoyable thing I do is play guitar to the accompaniment of my 3 sons who play guitar, bass guitar, piano and violin. We do a bit of church stuff.

Oh yeah, and the radio and C.D. player. Do they count?

Sierraman said:
Curious, anyone else here with a great interest in music? I play the violin and some piano. I can play almost anything on the violin, and just hymns on the piano. Anyone here play an instrument? :)

Violin? Isn't that the same thing as a fiddle? :wink:
Used to play a little guitar 15-20 years ago. Haven't picked one up more than a dozen times since.

I think TimH plays a "Swine Flute". :???:

In the order that I picked up the instrument.

Piano
120 bass accordian
guitar
mandolin
banjo

Will get to the fiddle in about 5 years, Lord willing. :)

Mike said:
Sierraman said:

Violin? Isn't that the same thing as a fiddle? :wink:
Used to play a little guitar 15-20 years ago. Haven't picked one up more than a dozen times since.

I think TimH plays a "Swine Flute". :???:

Mike I did'nt know tiny tim played the flute, I always thought is was the organ................good luck

A friend of the family got me started on a uke in gradeschool.
Saved up money and got a guitar- self-taught so not very good but enough to subject the family to it!
Mom taught us some piano- wish I'd paid more attention to that instrument. Really love listening to a good pianist. She was excellent. Ah my misspent youth!

Tom S said:
In the order that I picked up the instrument.

Piano
120 bass accordian
guitar
mandolin
banjo

Will get to the fiddle in about 5 years, Lord willing. :)

Keep it up, Tom. You must be a music lovin' soul to have learned that many instruments. Wouldn't it be cool to have a rancher's hoedown or jam session?

I can just see Mike on the

Floor.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm certainly floored by Tom's talents! Heck, could somebody just tell me what a 120 bass accordian IS?

MLA, I resemble that remark. :wink:

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mike said:

Aw shucks, don't mention it. :?

WELL? Are you gonna tell me what a 120 bass accordian is. And don't come back without details. eh? I can figure it's a low pitched accordian. :wink:

Mike said:

Mike as a good Alabaman, you must be able to play the jug- and by the time you get it empty enough to play you probably sound like a maestro :wink: :lol: :lol:

Yup, 120 bass buttons, although in reality a person only uses a few for most songs. Learned that critter when I was in the fourth grade. Used to just hate going to my grandparents house in town on Saturday evenings and they always had Larence Welk on TV. Know how to play it pretty good but like string instruments better, more relaxing, not pumping up arms and abbs of steel :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:

Mike as a good Alabaman, you must be able to play the jug- and by the time you get it empty enough to play you probably sound like a maestro :wink: :lol: :lol:

Yea, I've played a few jugs. :wink:

Mike- "I think TimH plays a "Swine Flute".

Haymensa- "Mike I did'nt know tiny tim played the flute, I always thought is was the organ................good luck"

My,my,my!! I see you guys have been busy trashing me while I'm away!! :lol:

Actually I play (in order of skill) guitar,banjo,harmonica and dobro. I've never even touched a flute but I have heard that the best "skin flute" players come from Texas. Is that true Haymensa??? :wink: :lol: :lol:

TimH said:
Mike- "I think TimH plays a "Swine Flute".

Haymensa- "Mike I did'nt know tiny tim played the flute, I always thought is was the organ................good luck"

My,my,my!! I see you guys have been busy trashing me while I'm away!! :lol:

Actually I play (in order of skill) guitar,banjo,harmonica and dobro. I've never even touched a flute but I have heard that the best "skin flute" players come from Texas. Is that true Haymensa??? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Knew that would get your attention! You change your drawers yet?
A swine flute is quite different, it's a stringed instrument.

Tom S,
Have you ever seen or played an electric accordian? I inherited one from my mother-in-law who used to play it in a dance band. It's built on the order of a keyboard with keys for the right hand, buttons for the left hand, and a bar-like pedal you control with your right foot. It's LOUD and when I play it in the summer time, the dogs come running to sit in front of the screen door and howl!! Kinda fun though, but I don't play the thing when there is anyone but the grandkids and the dogs around to hear me. It isn't much different than chording on the piano, but the dogs don't participate when I do that. Although they have joined in when I try the fiddle, guitar or banjo - I'm equally awful on all three.

I'm choir director for our little country church and love to sing when someone else plays the piano, especially Southern Gospel stuff. My mother's family had their own hillbilly group that had a jam season everytime they got together. Just love that oldtime cowboy music!!

Mike- "A swine flute is quite different, it's a stringed instrument"

I think I know what you are talking about. We call that a "swine-ette" around here. :lol:

TimH said:
Mike- "A swine flute is quite different, it's a stringed instrument"

I think I know what you are talking about. We call that a "swine-ette" around here. :lol:

Very good! (signature) No, I don't care too much for ol' Neil.
You like Leo Kottke? I sure do.

Latest posts