• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Musicians here?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike- "Very good! (signature) No, I don't care too much for ol' Neil.
You like Leo Kottke? I sure do."

I like some of ol' Neil's stuff. I don't think I've heard of Leo Kottke. I'll see if I can find some of his stuff somewhere and then I'll tell you if I like or don't like. I'll probably like it ,though, because I like everything except rap and disco!!! :lol:

Liberty Belle said:
Tom S,
Have you ever seen or played an electric accordian? I inherited one from my mother-in-law who used to play it in a dance band. It's built on the order of a keyboard with keys for the right hand, buttons for the left hand, and a bar-like pedal you control with your right foot. It's LOUD and when I play it in the summer time, the dogs come running to sit in front of the screen door and howl!! Kinda fun though, but I don't play the thing when there is anyone but the grandkids and the dogs around to hear me. It isn't much different than chording on the piano, but the dogs don't participate when I do that. Although they have joined in when I try the fiddle, guitar or banjo - I'm equally awful on all three.

I'm choir director for our little country church and love to sing when someone else plays the piano, especially Southern Gospel stuff. My mother's family had their own hillbilly group that had a jam season everytime they got together. Just love that oldtime cowboy music!!

Can't say that I have seen one of those electric jobs. Mines just the old fashion squeeze box. Was just shy of $500 in 1964 so transalated into todays dollars it was fairly expensive. That's a good reminder about the dogs howling LB, my regular accordian will start them howling miles away if the weather is right. And it does it every time. Must be something we can't hear :)

Liberty Belle said:
Tom S,
It's LOUD and when I play it in the summer time, the dogs come running to sit in front of the screen door and howl!! Kinda fun though, but I don't play the thing when there is anyone but the grandkids and the dogs around to hear me. It isn't much different than chording on the piano, but the dogs don't participate when I do that. Although they have joined in when I try the fiddle, guitar or banjo - I'm equally awful on all three.

L.B. your story reminds me of my cousin's dog who would not notice the piano music until my cousin's wife would play one certain hymn, but which hymn I can't remember.

Well, that big, burly dog could be dead to the world sleeping on the kitchen floor, but when she started that song, the dog would come into the family room and sit right at the end of the piano bench. Then, he'd point his nose at the ceiling and start to HOWL, the most mournful HOWL you ever did hear.

Well it was pretty funny and we'd all start to laugh. The more we laughed and the louder she'd play, the louder the dog would howl. You would probably say that it was more of a cacaphony than a symphony.

Mike, yes a violin and a fiddle is one and the same. But a violinist and a fiddlist are not. I heard it said: A violinist makes more money than a fiddlist, but I've never made money off my playin'.

Way to go Tom!I come from a very musical family but I think when it came time to pass out ability I was out to lunch!I can sing and chord on the "git fiddle"but when it comes to picking I'm all thumbs.Maybe being a lefty has something to do with it.
When I was a young pistol I was offerd a job on a local radio station but decided to stay with the ranch.A great loss to the music world I'm sure! :lol: :wink:

Personally, I prefer to piddle with a piano.

Probably a Hawaiian cowboy of this preference could be called a "piano packin' paniolo".

Saddletramp brought me a souvenir from Hawaii. It is a sign the says: "Parking for Paniolo Only.....No Horse Around" :)

I started playing guitar when I was fourteen years old but seldom do anymore. Jinglebob and I were part of agroup that played for some country dances around here for awhile.

One time Jinglebob and I went down along the cheyenne river to make some music and visit with some western artists that were gathered up there. On the way home when I was pulling on to I-90 I damned near run over an indian sleeping there on the road. When they get caught out sometimes they sleep on the hyway because the sun heats it up during the day and its the warmest place to sleep at night. So we stopped and had to holler to wake him up and ask if he was ok? He said "muh girl frens car run outta gas an I think muh legis broke."

He wanted us to take him into rapid city to his girl friends house but we wern't going that far. Told him we could take him up to a rest area and maybe he could get a ride there. We were going to hit a gravel road just past there and head north. Told him he would have to ride in the back cause Jinglebobs boys were with us and there was no room in the cab. He said ok so we headed back to the pickup and took off. Jinglebob looks back and says "HE'S NOT IN YET!" Thinking I'd left him standing there in the road I stopped. When I did there was a hell of a crash and clatter in the back just behind the cab where our guitar cases were stacked. I looked over at Jinglebob and said "what the hell was that?" JInglebob says "wull he wasn't in yet...........he was just comin over the tailgate when you SLAMMED on the brakes." I rolled down the window and asked if he was alright and he moaned "oooooooooooooooooooooooooyahI'mokay" I felt kind of guilty about how ruff I'd loaded him up so I did take him into rapid city to his girl friends house. When we dropped him off his broken leg didn't seem to be bothering him much anymore either cause he wasn't even limping on it. When he knocked on the door she answered but must have been a little unhappy with him for running her car out of gas on his way back from the reservation and leaving it sit in the ditch east of rapid city. She didn't let him in and he walked around behind the trailer house and I suppose he spent the rest of the night sleeping there.

Life ain't always easy but somtimes its kinda interestin.

Thanks for the reminder Tumbleweed. I'd about forgot about that little incident. That west nile seems to have taken most of my memory.

I play the guitar. Tumbleweed and his brother got me started.

Two of my sons play guitar and the other plays a little on the piano and harmonica. I love it when the boys are home and we jam.

I should go up to Rapid this weekend to the bluegrass festival. Bound to be some good music and lots of fun.

Jinglebob said:
Two of my sons play guitar and the other plays a little on the piano and harmonica. I love it when the boys are home and we jam..

Two weeks ago a man played the guitar for his daughter as she sang a contemporary church song. There is nothing as sweet as seeing a family sing and play music together I think. She is only 12 and sang in total confidence with a wonderful range. Had all of us who can only carry a tune in awe. And her father, a good rhythm guitarist, looked as pleased as punch.

The first time our daughter sang for church she was three years old and my mother-in-law, who was the church pianist, sat her on top of the piano where Teri sang "I Got Peath Like a Rither" as she kept time by thumping her heel on the side of the piano. Wonderful memory!

I played the piano as a child under my mother's guidance, but haven't played now for 25 years of so. Picked up the 5-string banjo a couple of years ago and have been pickin' away on it morning an night ever since. My wife is feeling pretty silly for buying me that first banjo, but the kids are coming on side now that I don't allways sound like loud random noise generator. I know one thing though.... if I ever had to listen to myself learn the banjo again I might just jump off a bridge. :lol:
Problem is I have a fiddle and I really want to play it someday. I've picked it up a bit and well.... it turns out in unskilled hands they can really squawk, and right in your ear. How would you ever get past that with your eardrums intact???? :???: :???:

Silver said:
I played the piano as a child under my mother's guidance, but haven't played now for 25 years of so. Picked up the 5-string banjo a couple of years ago and have been pickin' away on it morning an night ever since. My wife is feeling pretty silly for buying me that first banjo, but the kids are coming on side now that I don't allways sound like loud random noise generator. I know one thing though.... if I ever had to listen to myself learn the banjo again I might just jump off a bridge. :lol:
Problem is I have a fiddle and I really want to play it someday. I've picked it up a bit and well.... it turns out in unskilled hands they can really squawk, and right in your ear. How would you ever get past that with your eardrums intact???? :???: :???:
I had a roomate that was learning to play fiddle....................................

I stayed gone most of the time. :p

Mike- "I had a roomate that was learning to play fiddle....................................

I stayed gone most of the time. "

How about this one, Mike? I worked construction in Northern Ab. BC and Yukon for many years before I bought my Dad's place and started in the cattle biz. More often than not this required living in remote camps.People living in these conditions get easily frazzled from being away from home for long periods of time,working long hours, etc. This condition is known as "bushed".
Anyway, we had a guy staying in our camp, one winter, that brought his BAGPIPES!!! and was just learning to play them!!! He would "practice" every night after supper.....for about 3 days until he was "convinced" to knock it off!!!
The funniest part was, that in most camps ,there is a sign up in the dining-room that says " No Drugs or Gambling Allowed". Someone added "or F'n Bagpipes" on to the sign with a black marker!! :lol: :lol:

TimH said:
Mike- "I had a roomate that was learning to play fiddle....................................

I stayed gone most of the time. "

How about this one, Mike? I worked construction in Northern Ab. BC and Yukon for many years before I bought my Dad's place and started in the cattle biz. More often than not this required living in remote camps.People living in these conditions get easily frazzled from being away from home for long periods of time,working long hours, etc. This condition is known as "bushed".
Anyway, we had a guy staying in our camp, one winter, that brought his BAGPIPES!!! and was just learning to play them!!! He would "practice" every night after supper.....for about 3 days until he was "convinced" to knock it off!!!
The funniest part was, that in most camps ,there is a sign up in the dining-room that says " No Drugs or Gambling Allowed". Someone added "or F'n Bagpipes" on to the sign with a black marker!! :lol: :lol:

I can't imagine!!!??? Bagpipes and a TUBA would be the only thing worse than a fiddle. That's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Anyway, we had a guy staying in our camp, one winter, that brought his BAGPIPES!!! and was just learning to play them!!! He would "practice" every night after supper"

How did you keep from killing the #astard? :???: :mad:

Juan- "How did you keep from killing the #astard?"

Hahaha! Our crew was planning his "demise" after day 2, but some pipeliners,that were also staying in camp, managed to get to him first!!! I doubt that he argued with them!!! :lol:
I think the pipeliners changed the sign,as well, because "bagpipes" was spelled wrong!! :lol: :wink:

Someone has said that the Germans were the ones who made the best use of a butcher hog as they made use of every part of it.

But the Scots did them one better, They took the pig's squeal and put it in a bag. Then they connected some pipes to it and blew the squeal back out.

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Someone has said that the Germans were the ones who made the best use of a butcher hog as they made use of every part of it.

But the Scots did them one better, They took the pig's squeal and put it in a bag. Then they connected some pipes to it and blew the squeal back out.

I'll have to remember that one! :wink:

I heard it was the Irish that invented the bagpipes, but they didn't like the result so they threw them in the manure pile. Apparently the Scots found them, and they have been blowing the sh!t out of them ever since..... 8)

I agree with y'all about bagpipes. However, get a good playing person playing Amazing Grace, and wow, its great! Also, my dad, a violinist can play the violin to sound similar to bagpipes, and man, is that wonderful!

Latest posts