• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mustang Hunt,,,front row seat ----

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
In June of 2005 we were out by Cochran Spring looking for Mustangs when we spotted a small band up near the top of the mountain. We split up and put the sneak on them. The pictures are what I saw on the "more than warm" event. It was about 95 degrees and no arctic breeze. The climb had me warmed up for sure. I'd circled to the south so I could get above them.
Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele017.jpg

I don't know who was the most surprised. They had moved and I wasn't expecting them to be anywhere near where we came together.

Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele019.jpg

I dropped flat and didn't move for about ten minutes. I was surprised to see he was still in the neighborhood.

Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele026.jpg

Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele022.jpg

I was flat on the ground, getting what pictures I could. I couldn't believe he was still around.

Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele028.jpg

Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele033.jpg

He was getting nervous, but didn't stamped off the mountain.
Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele034.jpg

His partner was down the hill a little, taking it all in....
Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele043.jpg

The rest of the band was waiting for someone to make a decision.

Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele040.jpg

Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele037.jpg

They finally decide we ain't part of the band and head around the ridge.
Cochran_EightMi29June05_Steele047.jpg

Never a dull moment, when hunting mustangs. It sure if fun, they all have their own personalities and you can never depend on what they will do next.

Really, really cool perspectives!

Thanks again for some great shots of what otherwise many of us don't get the chance to see.

I assume the BLM in their management of the Mustangs, chose that stud, branded him, then turned him back out? I have never seen another "wild" horse with the freeze brand on them before.

LazyWP said:
I assume the BLM in their management of the Mustangs, chose that stud, branded him, then turned him back out? I have never seen another "wild" horse with the freeze brand on them before.

From what I have seen, I think you are correct. Most of the older studs have the brand. The BLM has a round-up every four years and those that they turn back our are branded. The paint mare that I have documented her family for the past four or five years, showed up this spring with a neck brand and one on her hip to designate that she had been given the "birth control" shot. I guess that means she won't be having any more "Kodak Moments." (colts)

25thApril2012DavisMtn148.jpg

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
The bay with the neck brand looks like he has something goin on with his left eye. Maybe that's why you were able to get that close to him. ???

"Very observant" I didn't ever notice that before. I always thought it was my
"cat like" sneaking ability... :) :) :)

Latest posts