• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mustang Pictures---

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
Some might get tired of seeing them,, but I'll never get tired of being "among-em." I told my friend five years ago to take a good look,,, we would probably never see 140 head of wild horses together again in our live time. Today there was about 120 head,,, I guess I'll have to settle for that. (You can't get even 120 head in the picture)

9thMay2012GovernmentCreek032-2.jpg

Pretty dry in our part of the world.
9thMay2012GovernmentCreek034-2.jpg

Guess who has a new baby?

9thMay2012GovernmentCreek058-2.jpg

9thMay2012GovernmentCreek068-1.jpg

A little lighter colored paint mare with a palomino colt.
9thMay2012GovernmentCreek044-2.jpg

"Not so pretty"is still in the band.
9thMay2012GovernmentCreek165.jpg

The buckskin is looking good, along with the new colt.
9thMay2012GovernmentCreek186.jpg

Ol One Ear is still hanging around.
9thMay2012GovernmentCreek140-1.jpg

On Ear has hooked up with this mare, but he isn't treating her very well.
9thMay2012GovernmentCreek193.jpg

The new colt needs a nap.
9thMay2012GovernmentCreek206.jpg

Peace in the Valley.
9thMay2012GovernmentCreek128-1.jpg

We found the band hanging around the water hole mid morning. We were on 4-wheelers and took every precaution to sneak up on them. Rode about two miles around and up a dry wash through tumble weeds two feet deep. We were feeling good when we got to within a half mile of them. I know they didn't see us,,, but they must have heard the motor noise. We were lucky in the fact they came our way and we were able to get some pictures as they ran by. The last we saw them they were about two miles to the west. I figured they would head north past the next water hole. "Lucky guess. This time we parked the machines about a mile away and hiked in,, over flat ground with nothing to hide our approach. On foot, we didn't seem to bother them at all.

It'll be a while before I get tired of looking at them!

Old one ear is in pretty fine condition. I guess he only needs to see and smell his food, not hear it! :wink:

burnt said:
It'll be a while before I get tired of looking at them!

Old one ear is in pretty fine condition. I guess he only needs to see and smell his food, not hear it! :wink:

My friend said he got quite close to him. It really amazes me that they will let us so close on foot and are so spooky about the 4-wheelers. It makes me wonder if someone is chasing them on machines. Of course their experiences with the BLM and Helicopters is ingrained in their minds from the February round-up.

Faster horses said:
I am amazed at how breedy some of those mustangs look---for instance
'your' paint mare. And that baby is really colorful.

Thanks again for sharing your pictures!! They are delightful.

For you and Big Muddy,,,,,,,, Here is "my favorite mare" and her cold in 2009.
The colt has grown up to be the buckskin BMR is coming after.

GovernmentCr3rdJune09_Earl023copyjpg-2jpg.jpg

I have called the BLM twice over the years because of 4 wheelers and motorcycle riders harrassing the mustangs and the antelope that frequent that country. Make's a guy wish a .30-.30 shot across the bow was legal! :mad:

On a brighter note, here is little H's school report in her own words about mustangs. Remember she's 9 and loves the desert almost as much as her padre. :D

I stand there all amazed watching them stride in glorious motion. Watching them running free, just like are suppossed to do. They look like they are running on the clouds because of their glorious movement. Faster than a walk, they move gently. Not quite a gallop but more of a gentle trot. What beautiful creatures, roaming free just like they are suppossed to be. Because they are the American mustang! And i love them for what they are, not what they could be!

She gets frustrated, like a lot of us, because of the way the mustangs are "managed". Either manage them or get out of it entirely. But this kinda, sorta, feedlots full of wild horses is BS. The days of a long rope and a fast horse are long gone. And that pretty buckskin mare would raise some nice horses here at the H's if some of us had our way. Thanks for your beautiful pictures Mustang! :D

Those are some beautiful pictures, mustang. Thanks for doing the leg work and sneaking up on the horses, and then sharing the fruits of your labor with us. It is our privilege to "observe" through your eyes the mustangs in motion, and in their peaceful contentment. We will never tire of seeing what you post; they are high quality photos of extremely picturesque subject matter.

I love your Photo's but have mixed emotions about ""Wild Horse Programs"". http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/eaglelake/wild_horse_and_burro.html

At one time in the 50's/60's we could get "Permits" to ROPE Wild Burrows n Horses in the "Saline Valley" by Death Valley. (The Government always maintained ownership of animals we caught - to prevent Abuse)
I have seen where some people would drive the road and shoot animals and just leave them.

I hear that The BLM is Feeding 1000's of horses throught-out the West

Like Soapweed said, thanks for going to all that work for us to take great pictures. This probably as close as I'll ever get to see a wild herd of mustangs..thanks again! Keep em coming!

Latest posts