• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mustang Pictures-----------

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
Life is good, the grass it starting to turn green and we found some mustangs. Not my favorite paint mare, but "H" has convinced me that she will show up eventually.

We found them at the base of the Davis Mountain. There was about sixty head strung out for a quarter mile, grazing west toward a water trough. There was only one way we could put the sneak on them riding 4-wheelers. We back tracked about five miles and came through a pass from the east. We parked the bikes out of sight and had a three mile hike, (round trip) to catch up with them.

On the way back to the pickup, we were pleased to have H' show up, out in the middle of nowhere. I hadn't seen him for a long time and it topped
the day off as a winner all around. "He said he was working." ????

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek036.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek033.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek049.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek051.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek056.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek074.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek069copy.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek084.jpg

Some of these yearlings are really curious and brave. They came
within 20 feet of where I was standing.
3rdAprin2013WGovCreek107.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek108.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek103.jpg

I would like to thank these to malcontents, It's really rare to be around to get this kind of picture.
3rdAprin2013WGovCreek097copy.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek096.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek095.jpg

3rdAprin2013WGovCreek093.jpg

Wow, those are some of the best ever for action!

Thanks for posting.

P.S. Is 'H the scruffy looking one in the 3rd picture?

:wink: :lol:

It looks like the winter was a little tough on them. They'll look much better after they shed off and gain a few pounds. But I enjoy seeing these horses in all seasons.

How far away were the sparring pair? I'm assuming most of your photos are quite a ways off. If so, you must have a pretty good zoom or telephoto lens.

Thanks for the new pictures!

burnt said:
Wow, those are some of the best ever for action!

Thanks for posting.

P.S. Is 'H the scruffy looking one in the 3rd picture?

:wink: :lol:

"I wouldn't dare say anything like that,,, as easy as he sneaked up on us yesterday.

I am glad we ran into ya Mustang! :D Looks like you had a great day cept' for the 2 rounders you ran into towards days end. :wink: Those rowdies having a brawl are sure great pictures. Lets you and I get together here shortly and go for another ride.

And Burnt, I was not pictured as we couldnt risk damage to Mr. Mustangs fine camera. :shock: But thanks for the insult anyway!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JF Ranch said:
It looks like the winter was a little tough on them. They'll look much better after they shed off and gain a few pounds. But I enjoy seeing these horses in all seasons.

How far away were the sparring pair? I'm assuming most of your photos are quite a ways off. If so, you must have a pretty good zoom or telephoto lens.

Thanks for the new pictures!

It all happened so fast I don't remember much about distance,, I'm thinking maybe about 40 yards. My lens in an 18x200 zoom. There were mustangs all around me and I was having trouble deciding which ones to concentrate on. They were feeding past me and I didn't want to miss any good shots. I had to do a lot of moving around to make sure I was on the sunny side of them.

Great pictures again, Mustang! I wished it wouldn't be so far away, I would love to use my camera on these views! But enjoying them every day anyway - just a glance on my calender, spotting a paint this month :)
Good to see that they survived the winter fairly decent. I've seen pastured ranch horses in this area look worse than these mustangs :(

caljane said:
Great pictures again, Mustang! I wished it wouldn't be so far away, I would love to use my camera on these views! But enjoying them every day anyway - just a glance on my calender, spotting a paint this month :)
Good to see that they survived the winter fairly decent. I've seen pastured ranch horses in this area look worse than these mustangs :(

Hi Caljane
In the previous bunch of pictures I posted, I couldn't get close enough to Ol One Ear to show his ribs. He was running about fifteen miles to the west, out on the flats. The snow was deeper there than on the west facing ridges where this last bunch have been wintering. However I noticed on Wednesday that the mares who had baby were showing more ribs than the studs or the mares that had been given the BC shots,,, which is understandable.

Thanks for the pics. Enjoyed it. Would make a fine vacation out there watching those mustangs..................

Bet some folks around here would pay a pretty penny for a day's watchin'.

Mike said:
Thanks for the pics. Enjoyed it. Would make a fine vacation out there watching those mustangs..................

I don't consider myself a "professional guide" but as long as I can get out the door in the morning,, I'd be happy to show anyone around. One little problem is,, their ain't no guarantees,, If we find em, we find em,, and some times we haven't found very many. Give me fifteen minutes notice and I'll be ready. It's about 90 miles from Salt Lake City.

Mike said:

Hey Mike,,,, Have you decided when you are coming to Utah to spend a day hunting mustangs???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I think I can get a note from mother. In fact we're going out there on Wednesday.

Latest posts