• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mustang Pictures--------

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
We call this place Horse Valley, It never seems to disappoint us We have to hike about a mile to get to them, but it's usually worth the effort.

"Never too big to get a free meal."

Long hair means winter is coming on.

They seem to have Radar.

You would think the camera should know I wanted horse pictures.

They always seem to find out we are around, regardless of how sneaky we try to be.

Not the best "mustang picture" day, but it was better than setting home watching "As The World Turns."

Thanks once again. Those pictures have amazing scenery in them even without the horses!

That big colt is a bit of a freeloader? :lol:

tamarack said:
What are those berries or seeds on the trees?

We have always called the trees, Cedar Trees. But I find out they are Juniper Trees, which are much more common. As for the berries, Id guess that makes them Juniper Berries. In the far corner of my memory, I think I heard that only, male or female juniper trees have the berries, but I can't remember which. Which means,,,, I don't know a lot. Maybe H' could educate us on the subject. lol

Well I am not much of an educator, but is do know that what we call cedar trees are actually Utah Junipers (Juniperus Osteosperma). The wood and bark have a strong cedar smell so that is probably why the nickname. Here's some more info I cut & pasted from Wikipedia. :D :D

Juniperus osteosperma (Utah Juniper; syn. J. utahensis) is a shrub or small tree reaching 3–6 m (rarely to 9 m) tall. It is native to the southwestern United States, in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, western New Mexico, western Colorado, Wyoming, southern Montana, southern Idaho and eastern California. It grows at moderate altitudes of 1,300-2,600 m, on dry soils, often together with Pinus monophylla.

Utah Juniper (Juniperus osteosperma) leaves, female cones and male cones, and (center) galls
The shoots are fairly thick compared to most junipers, 1.5–2 mm diameter. The leaves are arranged in opposite decussate pairs or whorls of three; the adult leaves are scale-like, 1–2 mm long (to 5 mm on lead shoots) and 1-1.5 mm broad. The juvenile leaves (on young seedlings only) are needle-like, 5–10 mm long. The cones are berry-like, 8–13 mm in diameter, blue-brown with a whitish waxy bloom, and contain a single seed (rarely two); they are mature in about 18 months. The male cones are 2–4 mm long, and shed their pollen in early spring. It is largely monoecious with both sexes on the same plant, but around 10% of plants are dioecious, producing cones of only one sex.

Utah Juniper galls
The plants frequently bear numerous galls caused by the Juniper Tip Midge Oligotrophus betheli (Bibionomorpha: Cecidomyiidae); these are conspicuous pale violet-purple, produced in clusters of 5-20 together, each gall 1–2 cm diameter, with dense modified spreading scale-leaves 6–10 mm long and 2–3 mm broad at the base. Seeds are dispersed by Jackrabbits (mostly the Black-tailed Jackrabbit Lepus californicus spp.) rodents and to a lesser extent by coyotes (Canis latrans).

leanin' H said:
Well I am not much of an educator, but is do know that what we call cedar trees are actually Utah Junipers (Juniperus Osteosperma). The wood and bark have a strong cedar smell so that is probably why the nickname. Here's some more info I cut & pasted from Wikipedia. :D :D

Juniperus osteosperma (Utah Juniper; syn. J. utahensis) is a shrub or small tree reaching 3–6 m (rarely to 9 m) tall. It is native to the southwestern United States, in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, western New Mexico, western Colorado, Wyoming, southern Montana, southern Idaho and eastern California. It grows at moderate altitudes of 1,300-2,600 m, on dry soils, often together with Pinus monophylla.

Utah Juniper (Juniperus osteosperma) leaves, female cones and male cones, and (center) galls
The shoots are fairly thick compared to most junipers, 1.5–2 mm diameter. The leaves are arranged in opposite decussate pairs or whorls of three; the adult leaves are scale-like, 1–2 mm long (to 5 mm on lead shoots) and 1-1.5 mm broad. The juvenile leaves (on young seedlings only) are needle-like, 5–10 mm long. The cones are berry-like, 8–13 mm in diameter, blue-brown with a whitish waxy bloom, and contain a single seed (rarely two); they are mature in about 18 months. The male cones are 2–4 mm long, and shed their pollen in early spring. It is largely monoecious with both sexes on the same plant, but around 10% of plants are dioecious, producing cones of only one sex.

Utah Juniper galls
The plants frequently bear numerous galls caused by the Juniper Tip Midge Oligotrophus betheli (Bibionomorpha: Cecidomyiidae); these are conspicuous pale violet-purple, produced in clusters of 5-20 together, each gall 1–2 cm diameter, with dense modified spreading scale-leaves 6–10 mm long and 2–3 mm broad at the base. Seeds are dispersed by Jackrabbits (mostly the Black-tailed Jackrabbit Lepus californicus spp.) rodents and to a lesser extent by coyotes (Canis latrans).

I sure was surprised to have my phone work today when you called me back. I about ran off the road trying to find it. All the mustangs are up high living on snow. I couldn't find the palomino colts nor One Ear west of Simpson Spring. The paint mare was on the south west side of Davis Mtn. up high. I saw about fifty head on the north end of Davis about noon. On the Cedar Mtn. it was "no luck." I finally located three head on the skyline about four miles north of Eight Mile spring. Without glasses, I wouldn't have been able to see them.

Latest posts