• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My $83 Dollar Feral cat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
019.jpg

018.jpg

:roll: ..........................good luck

Calfbornwithoutoneear600x800.jpg

HAY MAKER, your 83 dollar cat doesn't have anything over on my new baldy heifer calf. She was born very early this morning
with only one ear. It sure didn't freeze off, as nice as the night was.

I can top that. When I worked at the vet clinic, someone brought in a litter of newborn piglets that "weren't doing well".

They had no bums! Nothing. Nada. Under their tails it was smooth pink shiny skin. A quick poke with a scalpel, and lo and behold, there really were bums under there. They'd just been closed off with the skin.

Words can't describe the smell of the room when we were done. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: We sent home some happy little piggies though. :D

Kato said:
I can top that. When I worked at the vet clinic, someone brought in a litter of newborn piglets that "weren't doing well".

They had no bums! Nothing. Nada. Under their tails it was smooth pink shiny skin. A quick poke with a scalpel, and lo and behold, there really were bums under there. They'd just been closed off with the skin.

Words can't describe the smell of the room when we were done. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: We sent home some happy little piggies though. :D

We had a calf die and when we skinned it for grafting we found no rectum. My son about 6 at the time figured the calf must have farted and blew it's brains out. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sure thought about using my pocket knife on her, but damned thing is as wild as a *&%^^& rat, so I used one of them hava hart traps and caught her, that was a feat itself cause this old girl dont like cat food, if she aint hunting rabbits in the pasture she is hunting rats in the sheds and that is why i spent that much money on her she is a rat catcher deluxe and as you know that old gray horse of mine dont like rats, as a matter of fact neither do I, so I figgerd she probably catch 83 dollars worth of rats, might save me a broke rib or 2 .
good luck

A few years back I had a puppy that was both Male N Female - peed like a male - Vet said it wouldn't live long - I noted that it stared to BLOW-UP - I stuck a needle into that area and drew-out Pee - So I made a "CUT" - now it peed from two places - At 6 months of age I gave it to the David Vet School through our Vet...

HAY MAKER said:
I sure thought about using my pocket knife on her, but damned thing is as wild as a *&%^^& rat, so I used one of them hava hart traps and caught her, that was a feat itself cause this old girl dont like cat food, if she aint hunting rabbits in the pasture she is hunting rats in the sheds and that is why i spent that much money on her she is a rat catcher deluxe and as you know that old gray horse of mine dont like rats, as a matter of fact neither do I, so I figgerd she probably catch 83 dollars worth of rats, might save me a broke rib or 2 .
good luck

So, why do you need to earmark a cat? Are you afraid the neighbor's tom cat might take her back to someone else's ranch, and then they would claim her? If cats are that valuable, you could put your brand on them, too.

Years ago when renewing our note at the bank, I was listing our livestock inventory and approximate value. After the various classes of cattle and horses were listed, I wrote, "2 dogs.............worthless," followed by 3 cats (good mousers)................priceless." The banker must have agreed, because he renewed the note. :wink:

That baldy calf of yours saved you some brandin work, No that ole mama cat had cancer on her ear and it was geeting bad, so shoot her, or trap her and take her to the vet, had no idea that old thing was gonna cost me 83 bucks, but ever since she strayued up her I dont see ant rats/mice and thats a first, nuthin worse than havin a damn rat dig holes in your sacks of seed/feed....................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
That baldy calf of yours saved you some brandin work, No that ole mama cat had cancer on her ear and it was geeting bad, so shoot her, or trap her and take her to the vet, had no idea that old thing was gonna cost me 83 bucks, but ever since she strayued up her I dont see ant rats/mice and thats a first, nuthin worse than havin a damn rat dig holes in your sacks of seed/feed....................good luck

You are a compassionate man, HAY MAKER. Good for you.

We got a new puppy when I was about four years old. She was of the Spitz breed, never got real big, and always had her tail curled up over her back. We called her Lassie. When Lassie got to be about 11 or 12 years old, she got cancer of the nose, her hair was coming out in patches, and she was failing fast. One morning after breakfast, my dad and I decided that something needed to be done. We got a .22 rifle and walked together done the sidewalk with Lassie following behind. My little sister, who was nine or ten at the time, saw us leaving and asked where we were going. Honesty is always the best policy, so my dad answered, "Old Lassie is not doing very well so we are going to put her out of her misery." My sister has always been a very kind and compassionate person, but to hide her true feelings called out, "Do you care if I get my BB gun and take a crack at her?" Needless to say, the answer was no, but the incident did kind of take away the pain of the procedure.

Glad to hear the ol' rat killin' cat will be around to keep the rats off of your horse. :D Everytime somebody brings up that story i grin. But not because you got hurt. I just wonder what that pony musta thought! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soap, the dog story is priceless! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soapweed said:
Calfbornwithoutoneear600x800.jpg

HAY MAKER, your 83 dollar cat doesn't have anything over on my new baldy heifer calf. She was born very early this morning
with only one ear. It sure didn't freeze off, as nice as the night was.

Maybe some EPD's would be warrented ear potential development.

Latest posts