• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My adventures in Nevada

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Geez...speakin' one's mind in these forum's is akin to BEGGIN' for a 'cyber-chappin' from the entire crew in here...

Phew...

Ltdumbear said:
Geez...speakin' one's mind in these forum's is akin to BEGGIN' for a 'cyber-chappin' from the entire crew in here...

Phew...
Are you talking about us teasing Judith????

{oh my tummy hurts so bad from laughing}

azcowpuncher and a few members from Texas might know what I meant by the term cyber 'chappin'...

...DAYUM but those things HURT ! ! !

Ohh yeah i knwo what a chappin is had many of them and gave many of them hahahaha . Yeah we used to have here what we called a greasin but i wont get into that ha ha lets just say it involves a mop hot motor oil and a fellers babymakers ha ha .

Good story AZ a new fella always gets the **** ponies, I worked through that country and some in Oregon and Montana rode lots of them circle ponies and thats just what they was CIRCLE ponies some of them bastards a fella didn't want get off ta take a piss fear of em leavin your ass for a 15 20 mile walk. A good friend of mine hired on this outfit I was workin for in Montana for the fall wagon and the cow boss cut him every peice a **** hard mouth run off we had musta got bucked of 20 times but he stuckit out and finished the fall works and come back the next spring rode the wagon then took a camp that we'd stayed at the fall before and this other kid from New Mexico was stayin with him for acouple of weeks to ride the fences so he asks him one mornin how far he should go and which direction and he said he I don't know just follow the fence and the kid from New Mexico you was in this country last fall what the hell were you doing and he said tryin to stay on my god dahm horses!!! I'll have to dig out some pics one of the days and post them I worked with lots a good fellas some good hands and others not and seen lots stuff most people will never see and will never regret any of it some people will never know what its like to lay awake all night with your hinder clinched thinkin about the pony ya gotta fork in the mornin. Just drink a crap load a coffee, light a smoke and hope your ass dont end up in the sage!! :D :D :D
________
Ford GAA engine picture

Yeah thats for sure you do get all the **** haha . and then your right lay there at night with your paunch in a knot wonderin how many jumps you will get out of him before you hit the dirt haha .

Some are probably shakin' thier heads readin' the comments about havin' to work one's way up the cowboy 'food chain' by ridin' the rank one's till you earn your first bridle-horse...but it's all true, that's the only way to make it through and earn respect.

I don't recall ever once losing sleep over what I was facing havin' to crawl up on, for the next days circle...my biggest hangup was how 'easy' it seemed for the other crew to just mount up and ride away, without makin' sure everybody was with them...I always thought that was a bit odd.

Anybody in thier 50's and older who can shed some light on whether or not this was a 'disrespectful' cold-shoulder to earlier traditions among men who earned thier living horseback ?

Your damn right thats the cold shoulder , down right disrespect , and if an outfitt was to do that to me i belive i would roll my **** and hit the road after i broke a few noses or got my own ass whipped , i wouldnt wanna work for them assholes anyway . I never worked with guys like that or ever had anyone do that to me . I seen guys do it at a gate and when we got back to the house they got one hell of a chappin for it too . But anyone rides off before everyone is horseback ought to have his ass kicked unless there is somthin gettin away thats the only exception .

Sounds like disrespect to me.

Around here, there are a lot of these guys who've never been out and don't know they are showing disrespect when they ride off and leave you at a gate or ride in front of you.

I think if they would have gotten out more, maybe they would have learned. :D

Hey Az, where's a new story? Dang it man, don't be holden out on us once you got the pump primed! :D

I kinda figgered that's the response I'd get from the two of you...although Soapweed has'nt chimed in yet...

All I need to know now, is what if it was the Jiggerboss or Ranchboss who chose to show that kindof disrespect...is it still 'disrespect' or an underhanded message that things are'nt quite 'working out' between him and I ?

I noticed more and more of this, as the age and miles started piling up on me...and I still do...right where I am now as a matter of fact.

All I knows is that I do whatever I'm told, an' never leave anything behind for others to pick up after. Surely hope I don't hafta learn how to jump-about and turn-cartwheels like the professional-actors and dancers in the movie-musical 'Oklahoma'...'cause THAT sure ain't the kind of (cowboyin' ? ?) I've got the energy for...although more an' more, that sure does seem to be what the 'new-money' outfits are pushin' for these days...

Correct me if I'm wrong ?

Ltdumbear said:
All I need to know now, is what if it was the Jiggerboss or Ranchboss who chose to show that kindof disrespect...is it still 'disrespect' or an underhanded message that things are'nt quite 'working out' between him and I ?

I noticed more and more of this, as the age and miles started piling up on me...and I still do...right where I am now as a matter of fact.

They may be tryin' to get you to quit because they fear you are after their job. I'd take it they was wanting to make me mad so I would quit and they wouldn't have to fire me.

They said them old timers would just saddle one of the horses in your string if they wanted to make you quit.

Maybe they just ain't been around and don't know what they are doing?

If I was to choose a man to work a ranch between a youngster and an older guy, the older guy is gonna get hired every time. Especially in a camp situation.

'Course that makes it hard for the young fellers i guess.

Aww hell, it don't matter, a capable hand is a capable hand, no matter the age or how he dresses or anything else.

Usually, tho' not always, a good worker takes pride in their tools and it shows. If you are an imitation, it will show up real quick! :)

Thats right ^^^ most of the old timers get the camps and the young single guys are in the bunckhouse . But yes thats disrespect and they wouldnt do it to me but once and i would have it figured out weather its just the jigger aint got no manners or dont like me but we would fid out before i left camp for damn sure . Them other boys on the crew shoudl know better that to rid eoff and leave you too even if the jigger is trottin off they have enough respect to wait on a man .

Yeah that messin with your horse deal will make me red in the face as well and i will roll up and pull out in a heart beat . I have heard that about some of them boss' doin that saddlin your horse or somthin ya know . And another thing that will make me roll up and leave is if the boss asks me to shoe his horse or saddle him or catch him i will leave righ then and there .

I was workin for an outfit across the MT. line one fall. We had an early storm blow a bunch of cattle off the forest down to the river. Four outfits cattle were mixed up. We got there in the morning to straighten it up and the boss and his wife unloaded their horses tightened their cinches and rode off with out a word to the other fella and I. Left us to figure it out on our own. I was pretty green at the time and didn't quite know how to handle it, but it never did sit right with me. We went back later to gather and clean-up the remnants. The boss's wife dropped me off to make the outside circle, her directions were so bad I would have been better off with out them. My stay there was short-lived, at the time it seemed like for-ever.

Thx for the advise...always knew you to be purty 'level headed' from quietly readin' all the postings from the 'nosebleed' section these past few yrs...

Dunno...I'm tired of quittin' places that seem to be populated by kids from back east with brand-new slick-forks and E-garcia bits...

I got a choice to make here rather quick...either settle back quietly an' learn to be a 'ranch hand'...or drive down an' take a look-see at some of the New Mexico outfits I've been hearing about...been advised to wait until I was 40 and had a wife by my side...

Well...the big 'four oh' is comin' this November...

Az: should I wait until AFTER my b-day before headin' there ? not sure know how I'd handle 40-swats with a pair of batwings...

Thx guys...

Ha ha ha ya might wanna wait ha ha naa i dont think they will bother ya but if your goin to new mexico give that carrol jack lewis a hollar at the bell ranch and if that dont turn nothin out try singletons and if you wanna go to texas i know tom moorehouse if lookin for a man .

Funny you should mention Tom Moorhouse...he an' I have the same exact B-day...6th November. Not sure he'd be too eager to take me on though...I know him to be pretty sharp-minded, and several yrs ago, he called offerin' me a job literally less than an HOUR after Greg Richards at the Padlock had me convinced that I wanted to stay in Wyo and head up to Ranchester...

...one of my few 'Favorite Mistakes' I sometimes look back fondly on...

Ha ha ha yeah i dont know i have met him a bunch and talked with him alot and he has tried to convince me to come over and work for him but i just aint that much into texas as some of them boys ha ha . He seems like a good nuff guy tho , he dont pay much i know that .

By the way AZ...yer horse is surely 'hammin' it up' there in the pic...stickin' his tongue out at the picture-taker...

...you got him 'trained' for that too ?

Latest posts