• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My bulls are uneven and I can't fix it!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Doug Thorson

Reaction score
105.jpg

104.jpg

106.jpg

Any ideas on how to get these bulls to even up and look a little better? 8)

Photo shop the white out, make the horns disappear and the red a little darker. :? That should even them up. :wink: :wink: 8)

They look pretty good to me. I have a question? What are you feeding them for a growing ration?

Build up the ground under the 4rth on the right and 2nd on the left and you should have it fixed. :wink:
Oh, and get rid or that expensive iron in the background. It makes prospective buyers think you are rich and consequently they will be more difficult to negotiate with. :D

Nice set of calves Doug.

They look pretty good to me. I have a question? What are you feeding them for a growing ration?

me feeding bulls is a bit of a complicated process. The grain ration is 30%DDG, 30% oats, 40% corn. For the first 3 weeks after weaning they get 4 pounds of that and all the hay they want. Then they get 10 pounds of hay and add grain as needed to fill them. When they up to 20 pounds total, then it goes 50/50 but I back the DDG to 20% and up the oats to 40%. If they were ever to get to 30 pounds total, the grain would stop at 15#, but they haven't got there. Target weight is 1100# at my sale in May(calves will be 13 Months) 2 years ago I was close as they averaged around 1070 but last year they were a little light due to the winter, although I attribute it more to the fact the wind would blow 50mph at least one day every week making consistent feeding a challenge.

Oh, and get rid or that expensive iron in the background. It makes prospective buyers think you are rich and consequently they will be more difficult to negotiate with.
That expensive iron in the background is what keeps my bulls from my cousin's heifer calves. Grandpa split this place right down the middle of the barn. Everything west of center was sold to my uncle and what was east my Dad bought. That is his part of the fence(I know that is backwards) We made our fence solid when I was in high school, he put 1/2 of his in new 5 years ago. You can see a piece of tin is missing and after that stretch it turns to a wood windbreak that was built in the mid 60's. The rest is going to have to be fixed pronto!

sprinkle a little salt on their backs,they will groom each other up purty slick,then turn in a fine lookin heifer,the smaller ones will perk right up!!!!
maybe??? :roll: :)

I'd have to say take a long hard look at the cows these bulls came out of. Pretty hard for them to look the same if there is no uniformity in their dams.

I would guess you might be suprised at the difference in my cows. Maybe a picture of my steer pen would help.
007-1.jpg

The Lord may give them nuts, but that doesn't mean they have a God given right to use them.

Latest posts