• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My call to R-Calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder

Reaction score
I called R-Calf today to find out why my membership showed that it had expired in June of this year. I knew I had a 3 year membership. I was informed the membership number grew so much that their current data base couldn't hold it all so they changed to a larger system. Some glich happened but all memberships that were affected were getting resolved. I guess it is true R-Calf is growing in numbers.

feeder said:
I called R-Calf today to find out why my membership showed that it had expired in June of this year. I knew I had a 3 year membership. I was informed the membership number grew so much that their current data base couldn't hold it all so they changed to a larger system. Some glich happened but all memberships that were affected were getting resolved. I guess it is true R-Calf is growing in numbers.

Maybe they just hoping you wouldn't notice and you would pay your membership again and surprize another new member for R-CALF. :wink:
What I would still like to know is just how many of those members know they are members or want to be members. :?
R-CALFs membership grew by one and I'm pretty sure you will never see him admit he is a member.

Yes feeder,R CALF's numbers are growing daily,and the push is on in the south,if R CALF can organize the south like they have the northern states good things will happen :wink: .................good luck

They weren't asking for renewel, it just happened to be on some mail I received in regard to another matter. I figured someone would try to slant my post to a negative R-Calf trick. I didn't think it would happen so fast. LOL

Faster horses said:
Haymaker, I am just curious. What good things have happened in the north because of R-Calf?

(besides Leo building a new house.) :wink:

I am not Haymaker, but I would say it united the producers under one voice, the producers voice. :D

rancher said:
Faster horses said:
Haymaker, I am just curious. What good things have happened in the north because of R-Calf?

I am not Haymaker, but I would say it united the producers under one voice, the producers voice. :D
It united producers under one voice? Not according to this site or were you meaning that the members have Leo the Lyin' to speak on their behalf? :lol:

Bill according to who on this site, just the jealous NCBA that can't get members to double in a year.

Big Muddy rancher said:
rancher said:
Bill according to who on this site, just the jealous NCBA that can't get members to double in a year.

Aren't they producers to. I read posts from many that don't support R-CALF but don't preach NCBA

Ok, take out all and add most.

The number one thing I see that has come out of R-CALF is that it has made the government and the Big Conglomerate packers more accountable to the producer...No longer do they have the free rein that was given to them by NCBA's good old boy policy....They know now that if they try to fudge a little, they will get called on it.....And for the first time in years Washington is hearing the feelings of the cow/calf man...Like many Congressmen said- even when calf prices were in the $70 range they never even realized there had been tough times in the ranching business until R-CALF came along and told them- NCBA, USDA and the Packers had made them feel like everything was just hunky dory....

R-CALF has tried to keep them all honest-- imagine how many border "mistakes" like the importing of illegal beef, OTM's, bred heifers, etc. would have occurred if USDA didn't have R-CALF looking over their shoulder- the border rules set to protect the US cattle herds and US consumers would have meant nothing......Or how long would it have taken/and how much would our futures market have crashed before USDA announced that the Washington cow had a Canadian origin- if R-CALF hadn't found out and forced them to do it.......

And number one it gave the cow/calf producer a united voice- something many felt they had not had with NCBA, which many now feel is overly influenced from the Big Corporate interests.....What is good for the big corporate interests is not always good for the cattle producer.....

With R-CALF's expansion of promotions to the south and east now beginning I look for R-CALF's membership to surpass NCBA's this year....

November 7, 2005

Regional Meeting in the Bluegrass State

Only Six Days Away!

(Louisville, Ky.) – R-CALF USA invites all cattle producers to participate in the organization's first regional meeting east of the Mississippi. The theme for the event is "Building a Strong National Voice for Independent Cattle Producers."

The meeting begins at 4:30 p.m. EST on Sunday, Nov. 13, in the King William Room at the Executive West Hotel, 830 Phillips Lane, located across the street from the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Ky. R-CALF USA Region VIII Director Gene Barber, along with R-CALF USA Volunteer Dave Hutchins, of West Mansfield, Ohio, will host the event.

"Cattle producers have to know all there is to know about R-CALF," said Hutchins. "There is a long list of issues R-CALF USA is working on, such as disease protection, country-of-origin labeling, market competition, and trade."

Registration for the meeting starts at 4 p.m. Barber is first on the agenda at 4:30 p.m. to give the welcome and speak a few words about the importance of producer involvement in the U.S. cattle industry.

"R-CALF is all about producers, and no one can represent their business concerns better than themselves," noted Barber. "The issues that R-CALF works on are key to the long-term success of U.S. cattle ranchers."

R-CALF USA President and Co-Founder Leo McDonnell will take the floor at 4:40 p.m. to address ways the organization is continuing to meet the challenges facing U.S. cattle producers.

"This meeting is an excellent opportunity for members in each region to get together to meet one another, get updates on issues, and provide input," explained McDonnell. "One thing we have learned in the last few years is that a united cattle industry with a strong national voice can make some significant impacts.

"It is also important to note that change does not come easy, and many of the solutions to the challenges U.S. cattle producers face in this ever-evolving globally enhanced market are being diluted by fragmented industry signals," he continued. "It will be even more important as we go forward that our elected officials understand which groups represent which segments of the cattle/beef industry."

At 5:10 p.m., R-CALF USA CEO Bill Bullard will discuss the approach producers need to take to maintain profitability in the U.S. cattle industry.

"The U.S. beef industry is a very profitable, multi-segmented industry," said Bullard. "R-CALF USA represents cattle producers who want to maximize the profitability of the live cattle segment of the beef supply chain. This meeting will outline the steps independent cattle producers must take to ensure that they continue receiving their fair share of the profits from the beef supply chain."

At 5:40 p.m., McDonnell and Bullard will respond to questions from the audience.

MIX30-Agri-Dyne is sponsoring this event.

Faster horses said:

I did'nt say good things have happened in the North,but since you asked,it give you another thing to bitch about LOL..........good luck
well I better get my skinny R CALF ass upstairs,past my bed time :D :D

Tam said:
feeder said:

Maybe they just hoping you wouldn't notice and you would pay your membership again and surprize another new member for R-CALF. :wink:
What I would still like to know is just how many of those members know they are members or want to be members. :?
R-CALFs membership grew by one and I'm pretty sure you will never see him admit he is a member.

Tam, I sent the old windbag's money in as a simple donation. I figured if I actually put him for a membership, he'd be ranting and making a horse's patoot out of himself trying to get out. I didn't want the membership people to have to put up with him. It's bad enough that we do.

I'm beginning to wonder about you, Tam. You're concerned the US can't grow our herds because of golf course construction and you wonder how many new members of an organization that more than doubled in size in one year know they are members? I think you need to quit smoking the home grown "tobacco" BMR is raising and buy your smokes. :wink:

Sandman,

I'm sure glad, for your sake, that you seek out those like me who are honest enough to prove themselves wrong on a technicality because if you had to rely on supporting facts to back your empty challenges, you'd never accomplish anything.

My $100 by proving myself wrong on calendar year 2004 must have been the biggest feather you ever placed in your hat and all it took was an empty challenge. Talk about desperation.

It must really suck to be so "factually void" that all you can do is create the illusion of being right with your empty challenges.

Oh, who's this "WE" again? Who do you think you speak for? Other packer victims and import blamers?

I have to laugh every time I hear one of the Livestock Marketing Police tell producers to support R-CALF because R-CALF is the reason for current cattle prices. THE CANADIAN BORDER IS OPEN AND CATTLE PRICES ARE HIGHER THAN THEY HAVE EVER BEEN. R-CALF has eventually lost every court challenge they have made. Instead of accomplishing anything positive, THEY CREATE THE "ILLUSION" OF ACCOMPLISHMENT.

An organization based on lies and misinformation. You must be so proud. How unfortunate that this industry is plagued with the hidden agenda of the Livestock Marketing Police and R-CULT misleading lost souls who can't think for themselves.

~SH~

You lost $100 because you made a stupid bet. Learn from your mistakes and get over it.

Yes, I am proud to be a member of R-CALF. You can say all you want about them, but I just consider the source. Judging by your credibility as measured in the polls here, others do as well.

~SH~ said:
Sandman,

I'm sure glad, for your sake, that you seek out those like me who are honest enough to prove themselves wrong on a technicality because if you had to rely on supporting facts to back your empty challenges, you'd never accomplish anything.

My $100 by proving myself wrong on calendar year 2004 must have been the biggest feather you ever placed in your hat and all it took was an empty challenge. Talk about desperation.

It must really suck to be so "factually void" that all you can do is create the illusion of being right with your empty challenges.

Oh, who's this "WE" again? Who do you think you speak for? Other packer victims and import blamers?

I have to laugh every time I hear one of the Livestock Marketing Police tell producers to support R-CALF because R-CALF is the reason for current cattle prices. THE CANADIAN BORDER IS OPEN AND CATTLE PRICES ARE HIGHER THAN THEY HAVE EVER BEEN. R-CALF has eventually lost every court challenge they have made. Instead of accomplishing anything positive, THEY CREATE THE "ILLUSION" OF ACCOMPLISHMENT.

An organization based on lies and misinformation. You must be so proud. How unfortunate that
this industry is plagued with the hidden agenda of the Livestock Marketing Police and R-CULT misleading lost souls who can't think for themselves.

~SH~

Maybe you can tell us what that hidden agenda is,and remember be careful that big mouth of yours has already cost you $100 :D :D :D ...............good luck prarie dog

HAY MAKER said:
~SH~ said:
Sandman,

An organization based on lies and misinformation. You must be so proud. How unfortunate that
this industry is plagued with the hidden agenda of the Livestock Marketing Police and R-CULT misleading lost souls who can't think for themselves.

~SH~

Maybe you can tell us what that hidden agenda is,and remember be careful that big mouth of yours has already cost you $100 :D :D :D ...............good luck prarie dog
Well in R-CALFs case I'm with you Haymaker there is nothing hidden about their agenda. It is stop Canadian imports with what ever it takes failed lawsuits, over turned injunctions, holding press conferences with anti beef groups, half truths and out and out lies . But as least you can be proud Haymaker they do it all out in the open and it is well domumented :wink:

Tam said:
HAY MAKER said:
~SH~ said:
Sandman,

~SH~

Well in R-CALFs case I'm with you Haymaker there is nothing hidden about their agenda. It is stop Canadian imports with what ever it takes failed lawsuits, over turned injunctions, holding press conferences with anti beef groups, half truths and out and out lies . But as least you can be proud Haymaker they do it all out in the open and it is well domumented :wink:

Where has R CALF "out and out lied" I seemed to have missed that part,maybe you are the one lieing ?.............good luck

Quote: "Oh, who's this "WE" again? Who do you think you speak for? Other packer victims and import blamers?"

Since these types of terms are thrown around so freely, I think its time some researched the history of their own organizations! Here are a few things from my notes, there are many more examples. I am not taking sides in this issue but am pointing out to some, the fact that their organization has a history of doing what they are accusing others of!

The NCBA has gone through several name changes since its start. Among the listed reasons this cattle organization was started: "restriction of competing imports, continued access to public lands, restrictions on packer monopoly and collusion."
(note: wow, blamers and protectionists!)

Among their achievements: "Among the great legislative victories for the Association were the Packers and Stockyards Act of 1921, the Counter-Cyclical Meat Import Act of 1979"

From their history:
In 1916, the national convention was held in El Paso, Texas. With World War I raging in Europe and the eminence of American involvement, cattlemen were torn between their patriotism for country and their disdain for packers. Some believed the wild fluctuations in the market were intentionally caused by the "Beef Trust." "Beef Trust" was the name given to the "Big Five" packers, Swift, Armour, Morris, Cudahy, and Wilson, who were making unprecedented profits.
At the urging of the Market Committee of the American National Live Stock Association, the Federal Trade Commission conducted a study that was presented to President Woodrow Wilson in July 1919. It was terribly damaging to the packers and could have resulted in criminal charges.
The packers then proposed what was called "The Consent Decree." In it, they admitted no guilt but did consent to the following, among other things:

(note: Trust them as they always play fair!)LOL!

To sell all their holdings in public stockyards
To sell all their interests in stockyard railroads and terminals
To sell all their interests in market newspapers
To dispose of all their interests in public cold storage warehouses
To forever disassociate themselves from the retail meat business
To forever disassociate themselves from wholesale groceries
To submit perpetually to the jurisdiction of the U.S. District
Court under an injunction forbidding conspiracy or monopoly.

"While trying to keep the doors open for beef exports, cattlemen pushed for higher tariffs on imported hides and leather goods—another battle which they lost, because urban consumers in the East had more votes in Congress than did western cattlemen.
(darn protectionists!)

Foot and mouth disease was a fear for much of the last century. In 1947, the Association was successful in getting killed the Argentine Sanitary Treaty, which had been pigeonholed by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for 12 yr.
That treaty, first proposed in 1935, would have allowed beef imports from areas of Argentina declared free of foot and mouth disease. The Association claimed this was strictly an animal health issue, although proponents claimed it was a non-tariff barrier.
(Oh no! Only R-calf does things like that!)

During the 1950s and 1960s, the term "Trade Not Aid" became popular with editorial writers, but not with cattlemen. Economists estimated that beef imports were depressing the market and costing U.S. cattlemen $0.03/kg on live cattle. It was not until 1964 that the Association was able to get a law limiting beef imports.
(note: Darn protectionists!)
But that law was flawed. It allowed imports up to 7.5% of domestic production. So, in periods such as 1975–1977,when the United States had record production and liquidation,
the law allowed imports to increase and further depress prices. In 1978, inflation began to get out of control and President Jimmy Carter, feeling pressure from consumer activists, opened the gates to imports, which triggered a $0.22/kg drop in fat cattle prices.
(note: geeze, according to some here, it should have added value and raised prices!)

I can provide much more of NCBA history. It is parallel to what R-Calf is doing today. I am not saying that it is right or wrong, I am saying that there is no need for someone to stick their silly-@ssed labels on others who share the same history! It is the weakest form of arguement there is. It tells me the person doing the labeling is desperate and has nothing else!

Latest posts