• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My day so far here in Australia.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
The feed truck came this morning.
Sorted some cows and calves out.
Shifted some heifers to one of our blocks 2ks up the road.
Sorted the show team out.
Put some round bales out to the cows and calves.
Have to go to work later from 2.30 pm till 11pm then back to work in the morning at 7am till 3.30 pm. Have to get up about 5.30 am to feed up then off to work. I'm only 14 ks from where I work.
Just a usual day for me.

Colin

It seems so strange to remember that this is your winter - - - It also seems that you have a lot of drive - - - working a full time job as well as the farm / ranch or whatever you call it there - - - are you trying to purchase one of your own??? If so I wish you the best. Keep this posted so that I can understand better the differances and similarities in our worlds.

These days are you seeing anything interesting in the Aussie medical field, Colin?

nurses are in short supply here in Australia. I have four years to go to retire. I've been nursing for 34 years. Used to love it but not as much these days as there is too much legal rubbish going on. Nurses don't stick together like they should. A big controversy at the moment is the enquiry into "Dr Death" an Indian trained doctor that had been working at a Queensland hospital and had caused the deaths of 80 plus people through his neglect. He now is back in the US ( Portland Oregon)
Some of the stories of his neglect are horrifying. The guilt is trying to be turned back onto the whistle blowing nurse who put in the complaint. Over here doctors stick together and hate to be challenged by an experienced nurse.
Just not long got home from work its 12.30 am here,have to be up at 5.30 am. Had a busy evening,one transfer out and one sick child who will transferred in the morning as well as the rest of the patients. We only had two RNs on this evening.
Colin

George said:
It seems so strange to remember that this is your winter - - - It also seems that you have a lot of drive - - - working a full time job as well as the farm / ranch or whatever you call it there - - - are you trying to purchase one of your own??? If so I wish you the best. Keep this posted so that I can understand better the differances and similarities in our worlds.
I think that the Australians still call their Cattle Ranches "Stations."

Australians call them stations,properties or farms. Kangaroos do tend to move into some more isolated towns. They also move in on crops,they particularly like lucerne and oats pastures.
No I hate vegemite,so you'll never see me with a vegemite sandwich.
There might be some haystacks,they are generally a stack of round or big square bales piled up in a corner of a paddock with a tarpaulin over it. We just leave the round bales that we purchase out in the paddock with an electric fence around it. Ours never last long so seldom have time to spoil much.
Any other questions fire away?
Colin

Australian Cattleman said:
Australians call them stations,properties or farms. Kangaroos do tend to move into some more isolated towns. They also move in on crops,they particularly like lucerne and oats pastures.
No I hate vegemite,so you'll never see me with a vegemite sandwich.
There might be some haystacks,they are generally a stack of round or big square bales piled up in a corner of a paddock with a tarpaulin over it. We just leave the round bales that we purchase out in the paddock with an electric fence around it. Ours never last long so seldom have time to spoil much.
Any other questions fire away?
Colin

yes i have a couple more.

Whats Lucerne?

and

What is a Tarpaulin? (just like what we would call a tarp?)

How much snow can you expect in a normal year - - what town could I find on a map that would show me where you are located.
We "normally " get about 30" a year here but that can range from almost none to 20" in a couple of days - - - normally we don't keep it around long.
We have been really dry this summer so far but it looks like we will get a goo soaking mid week. The crops still look good as the few rains we have had have come at the right time. Pastures are suffering more than anything.

Colin----have had my 9 year old history/geography buff reading your postings so that he can get some sort of idea what a truly big world we live in!! He is simply amazed that australia is in winter-time while we are in the summer season and battling 90 degree heat!! Says he would much rather be where you are! :wink:

Latest posts