• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My first deer hunt! It WAS successfull, well at least for me

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
First real hunting trip. On the way there we saw 35 does and 3 bucks in legal shooting light, and I would have been able to shoot anyone of them, but I diddnt want to clean that nite unless it was a BIG buck. Got to Hudson Bay an slept.
Thurs AM. Woke up, ate an went out to stoney creek road. Saw a big buck there, but he ran faster than I could draw an load the rifle. Saw wolves, and got kicked off of land that wasnt even posted.Really ticked me off cause he was swearin an a cussin at us. PM. Saw wolves, 2 coyotes, and a bull moose, an walked more down stoney creek road and got picked up by the quad. The beavers dammed up the trail, so we kicked the ol' polaris into four-by an made it thru, an them bevers i suspect was ticked-lol. Got to the truck, an drove round the area. found a trail, and walked it. Saw nothing. Walked back to the truckan saw dad an the lil brother stationed by the lil slough. I snuck over there, an saw 4 does. Dad asked me If i wanted first shot, and i said yes, but i wanted to see if we could get closer, cause my rifle diddnt have a scope on it, cause of all of the forest. We was loosin light fast. Got twenty yards from the biggest doe. I told him which one i wanted and i let er loose. one shot from the .303 an she was don in her tracks. Dad couldn't shoot, cause he left his clip in the truck and so wehad only like 5 minutes of lite to clean her. Took an hour in only the starlight to skin and gut her. we were carrying the meat into the cooler at the motel, and these guys who just hung a moose says " nice bodied buck." an i says to him, " thats no buck its a doe. we weighed her, and she weighed 280 lbs. gotta love them grass fat deer. Still got my buck tag to fill tho.
Friday-all day. Today we pretty much drove around the country and walked. nice scenery there. we were walking round and saw a coyote in the brush. little brother howled, just for fun, and the coyote came within 15 feet of us. dad triewd to shoot, but only saw hair and snow thru the scope so i shot at him 3 times. the first one was a miss, second was in the vitals, and one was in the headjust to make shure. he was prolly 65 yards away when i got the first shot off, and the second was a running shot, and the third was when we were right over him.he was out cold, so just to make sure in case he came round again, and wouldnt suffer, i shot him in the head.
Today. got with in 300 yards of three 5 by 5's an a 4 by four with a bunch of does. i started prolly 900 yards away, and when i was bringing up the gun (dad's this time, cause he was on the phone an this wasnt going to be a short shot, and i wanted to be sure of a quick clean kill) looking thru the scope, and then this frikin group of hunters come over the hill in their fancy diesel, jacked up truck with the music cranked up and the windows don come over the hill and chase away my dream buck . they get out and ask me why i scared them away, an i called them a bunch of hopeless loosers, and walked away while they were hurling insults at me, which i learned to ignore, and i hopped in the truck with Dad and we told the land owners about them, and they said that they would call the game warden. I dont know what happened, cause we went away, and i was soo p***** at these punks it was soo frustrating.

if this crap keeps up, what is this world coming to? I dont want a blemish on the name of the white tailed deer hunter, or any kind of hunter in general, but its these idiots that ruin what our forev fathers got for us. :cry: :( :? :evil: :x

In general, it was a very good hunt, with us filling 1/4 of our tags.

Good night, an god bless

Congrats....Angus cattle shower, Sounds like you and Dad had a great time on your first hunt. Don't sweat the gunzels in the big truck. Life is full of them kind. Just keep chosing the right crowd to hang out with and you'll have no worries from those kind.

Once again WAY TO GO!!!!!!!! :D

I hear ya on the dimwits that drive through your hunting ground. Had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago ON MY OWN LAND! Just before dark on the last day of deer season I was hoping for something to show so I could at least say that I saw a deer on that hunt. Had very little time to get out hunting so I was enjoying the quiet evening when here comes my nosy, ignorant neighbour through my field on his 4 wheeler. Man was I steamed. He couldn't see me in my treestand so when I let off a shot with my 12-gauge he slammed on the brakes and stopped er dead. That gun sounded like a cannon going off between the woodlots and I guess he had to clean his drawers. Had to let him know that he just wasn't welcome on my land and especially not in deer season.

Well, tonite the same thing happened. We were hunting on the other neighbour's land and again it was the last day of deer season and us with one tag left to fill. Same jerk AND FAMILY come cruising across our hunting ground with us clearly in view. That orange is hard to hide. We told the landowner and he wasn't impressed since the jerks didn't have permission to be on his land at all.

So I know that there are some stupid hunters out there, but you don't have to be a hunter to be stupid!!!!!

Nice to see a good old Canadian girl bagging her deer with a .303-my son's hunting buddy loves his-want to meet him lol. We just got back from a quick one day anterless mulie hunt-it was awesome-we tagged out and saw probably 20 hog mulie bucks plus some good whities. Bonus today was 5 moose and a easy record book antelope-plus Ty decimated the coyote population with his .243 lol. Congrats on the deer.

Northern Rancher said:
Nice to see a good old Canadian girl bagging her deer with a .303-my son's hunting buddy loves his-want to meet him lol. We just got back from a quick one day anterless mulie hunt-it was awesome-we tagged out and saw probably 20 hog mulie bucks plus some good whities. Bonus today was 5 moose and a easy record book antelope-plus Ty decimated the coyote population with his .243 lol. Congrats on the deer.

But I'm a guy!! :shock: :shock: 8) :p lol

We averaged it out to about 30 dollars a pound!!!!
I hope that it tastes good!!! Shouldnt be any adrenaline, since it was a nice 25 yard shot. gonna make some roast tommorrow!!

Angus Cattle Shower said:
First real hunting trip... got kicked off of land that wasnt even posted.Really ticked me off...

Not to be rude but if it was land that you didn't know for certain you either A. Had permission, or B. Was public hunting grounds, what were you doing on there anyway? Just because it isn't posted doesn't mean that it's free-range hunting for anybody that drives by and sees game. It's still private property & to the landowner you're being there would be like him walking into your house and grabbing a bite to eat because what's on the table looked good & heck, the house wasn't posted.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but w/ pheasant season kicking off down here we've already had our fair share of incidents. I let my friends that help me during the year hunt our stubble & by 9:00 AM opening day an out-of-state crew had already trespassed & walked 180 acres of milo stalks while I was working elsewhere (I don't hunt). Why did they think they had the privilege of hunting that ground? Was it b/c they just thought they could get away with it and nobody would care? Guess this is a sore subject for me right now. I apologize if I come across a little strong.
Phil

Edit: Forgot to add that like most of the O of S crews they couldn't hit their butt with both hands. Neighbor that saw them said it sounded like WW3 and he saw them pick up 4 birds. Friend went out with his crew (like 10-12 guys) and they got 20 birds off it. This is just after they walked a milo circle of ours and got 15 there.

pknoeber said:
First real hunting trip... got kicked off of land that wasnt even posted.Really ticked me off...

Not to be rude but if it was land that you didn't know for certain you either A. Had permission, or B. Was public hunting grounds, what were you doing on there anyway? Just because it isn't posted doesn't mean that it's free-range hunting for anybody that drives by and sees game. It's still private property & to the landowner you're being there would be like him walking into your house and grabbing a bite to eat because what's on the table looked good & heck, the house wasn't posted.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but w/ pheasant season kicking off down here we've already had our fair share of incidents. I let my friends that help me during the year hunt our stubble & by 9:00 AM opening day an out-of-state crew had already trespassed & walked 180 acres of milo stalks while I was working elsewhere (I don't hunt). Why did they think they had the privilege of hunting that ground? Was it b/c they just thought they could get away with it and nobody would care? Guess this is a sore subject for me right now. I apologize if I come across a little strong.
Phil

Edit: Forgot to add that like most of the O of S crews they couldn't hit their butt with both hands. Neighbor that saw them said it sounded like WW3 and he saw them pick up 4 birds. Friend went out with his crew (like 10-12 guys) and they got 20 birds off it. This is just after they walked a milo circle of ours and got 15 there.

We were just walking along the bush line right beside ther forest. :(

pknoeber said:

Phil

We were just walking along the bush line right beside ther forest. :(

That country is quite a bit different then Kansas. They are on the forest fringe.

Gotcha. Now I understand a little better. Only forest I see is on the Discovery Channel :D Wonder if the landowner is also an outfitter maybe? Still, if it's a borderline situation he should've at least been courteous.
Phil

Sorry to hear that a bunch of posers ruined your hunt.It must suck if you have to get a jacked up truck to fill in for what you lack in another area. :shock: 8) theres plenty of "cowboys" down here that claim to be just that because tey have big trucks,i take pride in letting all of the wind out of their sails.Its all about out thinking their insults,and hitting them where it hurts....Some people will just never learn tho...

Latest posts