• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My guys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
roscoeandcarter.jpg

The guys are hauling wheat now. The weather is so nice thought I would snap a picture before they go and load..

roscoecarter2.jpg

They look tired, left last night and rolled in about three p.m.

I'll just say this...that Freightliner might resemble a big truck, but it probably didn't cost as much.
Those're two nice looking rigs, and I see no recent dents.
Drive on..

Looks like the gentleman on the right has sure enough graduated from truck driving school. He is even wearing a regulation mortarboard graduation cap. :wink:

Nice pictures of competent drivers and fine looking hauling rigs. Thanks for the photos, Katrina.

Right now we have all Volvos as they are so cheap! I sold my pete ( really liked it but it had a 288" wheelbase)

Picked up a 2004 Volvo about 4 years ago N 14 400 HP Super 10 speed - everything working except Air conditioner, diecent tires and brakes, cluch iffy. Paid $2,500 put a clutch in it last year - - -just keeps going

Got a 2007 Volvo same engine regular 10 speed bad air conditioner gave $4,000

Looking for another before fall to replace the pete and if the Volvos keep being cheap we might get another!

We only put 30,000 to 40,000 mile a year on a truck and are never far from home so we don't have to have new!

And then I'm CHEAP

there's a difference between Cheap and Inexpensive. George is cheap, Volvo's are inexpensive :wink: :lol: :lol:

nice looking rig's Katrina

There's just something about those 379's........... 8)

A Kentworth can't even come close, so how could anybody expect a Freightshaker to............??

I run a Volvo and a Pete...driver kept bitching about everything wrong with the Volvo...finally got done with harvest and I let the Pete go on the hay trailer....it is high geared and has a tough time pulling hills in 10th gear...now all he does is bitch about the Pete....Volvo for the money is a better truck, but that Pete is just too sweet!

Never say never, but the LAST truck I would ever buy is one with a 9 or 10 speed.........never have liked 'em, never will.............

loomixguy said:
Never say never, but the LAST truck I would ever buy is one with a 9 or 10 speed.........never have liked 'em, never will.............

Who would put a 10 speed in a Pete? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Hope Katrina isn't mad at us.

Heck I drive a Cabover Mack. :roll:

Nope not mad at all..That blue truck is hubby's pride and joy.. All the levers nad knobs are chromed out and he has a black box that he can increase his horse power to 600 horses if he needs too. The frieghtliner was his father's so it's only fitting that carter drive it.. They love doing this together so that's what counts... Whether it's a pete, volvo or a mack.

easier to run a 10, and live with it, than keep putting in clutches because the idiots are not smart enought to shift a 18 speed....

jigs said:
easier to run a 10, and live with it, than keep putting in clutches because the idiots are not smart enought to shift a 18 speed....

That's when you send the ID10T down the road and hire a pilot who actually KNOWS what he's doing.

There are plenty of truck STEERERS, but not that many truck DRIVERS.

I grew up driving Dad's old Binder with a 549 and some kind of a convoluted Fuller 5th over tranny. When he got the Mack conventional with the 671 Detroit and a Fuller 13, I thought I was driving a Rolls Royce. Put a Cat D7G (50,000# or so) behind that and drive these Webster county roads, you learn PDQ what it's all about.

jigs said:

I've got 10 speed fullers in 2 farm tractors---which is neat in itself, you can--or could, last time i had one apart---get a kit with every bearing, seal and gasket for about $300--easy to work on, took it to truck shop and got them to set the endplay when I was done. I always thought it'd be neat to have 10 spd with brownie behind it in truck---but my old Autocar I learned (kinda) to drive on had a 5 x 4 and no syncros.

Had my 4wd MRS apart and wanted to put it back togethor and use it---but didn't have a new 4th gear. Swapped it with input gear, they both pull on the other side of the teeth when you do this and it kinda changes an RT into a RTO---and it'll run down the hi way like a scalded cat---being a truck trans, it shifts nice and you kinda get some double takes when blowing black outa both stacks and keep hooking gears----aw, well---dont take much to amuse me....

loomixguy said:
jigs said:

That's when you send the ID10T down the road and hire a pilot who actually KNOWS what he's doing.

There are plenty of truck STEERERS, but not that many truck DRIVERS.

When the truck leaves the highway, the tire chains go on, the road narrows and the grade steepens the wheat gets separated from the chaff in short order. Especially when overweight / overwidth permits and extra axles are involved.

For an over the road truck I prefer a 13 speed - - - for my dump trucks I like the 8 speed LL ( us old timers used to call it a 15 speed ) but when you use trucks like I do now you look for a bargin and take what is in it. If the drivers can't drive they will tear up anything.

I had to make a card, laminate it and glue to the dash telling drivers how to drive the super 10 - - - -easiest transmission you can drive but some of them have never experienced one and need a little training.

My Pete had a 9 speed with high enough gearing that in 9th you were going 65 MPH at 1,200 RPM with a 525 HP 3406C - - - I got 7.35 MPG hauling 80,000# but witha 288" wheelbase I only had 2" front and back of tires to get ona 60' scale with a 40' grain trailer with the 5th wheel slid al the way to the front.

I have a 60' scale at home and 2 of the elevators I go to on a regular basis have 60' scales as well - - - it was just to much of a pain to deal with but that truck sure rode and drove great. I thought about removing the sleeper and shortening the frame to make it into a day cab but then we need to sleep in line at times so it was just easier to get a smaller truck witha small sleeper.

I leased a truck for fall with a 6 speed Allison automatic and I loved it - - -great power, good fuel economy and easy on my old knees. I would pay a preimum for one. I have one dump truck witha 4 speed Allison that I have had for about 15 years and love it!

My favorite combination was a 15 spd RTO behind a 400 mechanical Cat. I even liked the shift pattern, although a lot of folks didn't.

Latest posts