• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My journal entry for Monday, September 2, 1968 (Labor Day)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
My journal entry for Monday, September 2, 1968 (Labor Day)

Dad awoke before 4:00 this morning. Ronald Snyder came over for breakfast, and then the two of them headed for Montana. They drove to Gordon and then, along with Kenneth Hull and the pilot, flew to Montana. Snyd was interested in buying some Angus cows, and Kenneth Hull wanted to buy the calves. Dad went along for the ride.

I crawled out at 7:00 and went out to do chores. As breakfast was not quite ready, I drove over west and dug out a back-rubber. When I had eaten, I took this over to where the Angus cows are (south of the meadow). There were two new baby calves.

I doped up a couple back-rubbers for the bulls and the "club calf cows." Then I took the four wheeler [1963 Ford ¾ ton pickup] over to where Dad had started to do some windrowing (east of the branding corral).

The pitman stick on the mower was broken, so I had to fix this. Also, I gave the outfit a good grease job and changed the sickles. By then it was noon, so I went home.

We had dinner. After the noon hour, I made one round mowing. Mom and Sybil drove down and helped me pull the rake to start it. It went a little ways and quit, so I went home.

The girls and I picked up junk mostly all afternoon. They mowed the lawn, and I put some brands on an old skull. We did chores, and then I checked the Angus again. [These were fall calving cows that Dad took in on shares for Ralph May from Valentine.]

Dad had to stay in Miles City because of bad weather.

Latest posts