• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My journal entry for Wednesday, February 7, 1968

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
My journal entry for Wednesday, February 7, 1968

Tragedy struck the South Hills today. John Kime and Leo Maddox were flying back to the U Cross headquarters from the Star Ranch last night. Their helicopter went down, and they were both killed.

I don't know too many of the details, but I guess the helicopter crashed against a hill. I didn't know Mr. Maddox, but John Kime was really a nice fellow. He was the manager of the Fawn Lake Cattle Company, one of the biggest ranches in this part of the country. I think Leo Maddox was a kind of under foreman of John's, so the labor situation on their 100,000 acre ranch is not too good now.

John Kime gave us the royal carpet treatment at the U Cross on several different occasions. The first time was when he invited us in to a warm meal out of the rain, when John Burton, Mitch, and I were moving hay equipment across from near Ellsworth to the Niobrara. He gave Ken, John Fairhead, Davy Jones, and me permission to camp on U Cross land in June of last year. Just this past fall, John Kime gave Dad, Mom, Nancy Jean, and me a very interesting guided tour over the U Cross Ranch, when we delivered some Hereford bulls that John had purchased from Dad.

John was really a nice person whose presence will be missed throughout the country.

I awoke at the usual time, ate breakfast, and got ready for school. Dad took us today, and then went down to the Leach Place to get some telephone poles.

School was the expected routine bore it always is, so I will not dwell too long on it. However, we had a Literature test that I think I got an "A" on.

After school, Ken and I walked down to Grandma's. We read a little and goofed off quite a little before Grandma called us to supper. Hamburgers, corn, potatoes, home-made bread, marshmallow-jello salad, and a good cherry dessert made up the bill-of-fare.

I rushed around changing my clothes at about 4:58. Ken and I hurried out the door at 4:59, and arrived at the school just in time to hop on the almost-moving bus at 5:00. We headed for the big basketball tournament at Chadron.

At Chadron, we went to the Chadron Assumption gym. We watched about half of a game between Holy Rosary and Melbeta before suiting up for our own game with Assumption. This game didn't go too badly the first half, but rotten the second. The final score was 86-36, their favor.

On the way back to Merriman, McKay stopped the bus at Rushville, where we had a snack at the "Food Bowl. We arrived back in town at midnight. Ken and I stayed at Grandma's. We talked a little, but got to sleep at a fair time.

Just wondering.......does the U Cross remain as a big ranch today, or has it been divided into smaller ones?

mrj

ND Farmer said:
Does mr turner run buffalo on this particular ranch now.....

Yes, I think he runs only buffalo on all of his total two million acres of land. If there is a bright side, these once great cattle ranches are now no longer competing with other cattle producers. In theory, as far as beef goes--less supply, more demand, better prices.

I don't usually focus on the negative side of things.........however, it troubles me that some buffalo producers are claiming moral and health superiority for people eating buffalo meat. Never mind that most beef cattle are eating the very same diet, native grasses and forbs on 'free ranging' pastures for most of their life. or that some buffalo also are raised in virtual feedlot situations, also eating grains.

Equally troubling is that some, like Mr. Turner, don't depend upon what they produce to make their living, so can sell under cost of production, if they so choose. There also is the twist of using what they are doing to more or less force change on society in general: protecting prairie dogs and other critters that damage the land or prey on domestic livestock; as well as changing what people are allowed to eat. Yes, that all may be a very long term venture, but it seems apparent in what some extremely large landholders are doing. Whether they coordinate ideas, or it is accidental......who knows????

mrj

Latest posts