• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

my little girls new horse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowhunter

Reaction score
My little girl had been ridein me hard for the last few mos about her gettin somethin better to ride. We got a 6 year old, in the money bred mare that she's been ridein. She's dog broke but don't have a lot of cow in her. She's real athletic but outside her walk, she's the ruffest horse I ever rode. Her trot will loosein up your guts and her lope is big lunges. She's also a criber but we keep a mirical cribin collar on her and as long as she's keep in a big pasture, she stays in good shape and she's easy to catch to. She's there in a pench and is good to trail ride. My buddy grady called me today and found me a 12 year old quarter horse mare. Papered but not nothin special. But she sure is nice. A good lookin dark bay. About 15 hands. No body had been on her in 2 years but she rode real good. He's goin to keep her a month and get her ready for my girl. I'll get a pic of her later.

No, this is a williston bred grady. He day works, trims and shoes, trains a few horse and sells a little hay. He helps me and I help him. How u been doin? Is it greenin up down yalls way? Sure startin to turn here. Thisle lookin bad this year. I'm gettin ready to start sprayin. Yall been hoghuntin any?

Yeah, it's starting to green up pretty good around here, just wet, got another 4 or 5 inches yesterday. I've got to get up to my place up there and start get to spraying, hopefully it ain't got too out of hand up there since i've been gone.

Anyways, i've been tearing up some hogs down here, but my good places I can't hunt for another week til turkey seasons done with. My new pup bout 6 months old found his own hog the other night so I was mighty proud of him for only being the third time in the woods, believe he's gonna make a dog at the rate he's goin.
You been doing any huntin here lately?

Not much huntin for me. My son goes real regular and I get first hand acounts and phone pics. We are in bad need of a good fla cur jyp. We are down to 1 and 1 cowdog jyp that the verdict not in on yet.I got a jyp pup also about 4 mos. We won't to build a 20 acre bay pen soon. I sure love to train a dog. We got 2 good males out off my old dogs that will flat stay with one and stop him. Sorry I mist u when u came up. I was bad sick and aint cared if the sun never shined. Call me when u come up again.

A 20 acre bay pen sure would be handy to get a dog goin. I went out huntin on the swannee when I was up there last. Down in them cypress swamps, my gyp bayed up 8 or so boar hogs and 2 big bars in a group. It was a sight to see, I swear ever single on of em was over 200 pounds an them bars were about 350. I let my catchdog go he caught one an that ol bar grabbed him by the back of the neck started shakin him, he's lucky he got out alive. Ended up catching 5 of em though.

Im gonna try to get up there in the next month or so.

Thanks for the tease of a pic but now you HAVE to show thew horse up close LOL

yes I know I am waiting on my camera battery to charge to get pics of Dally.

Fla has the second bigest wildhog population in the us. Texas of corse, bein the bigest. Lol. We hunt them with dogs. The dogs bay them and if he's real bad and the curdogs won't catch him, we send in a kevlar vested pitbull. Its the best huntin I like. All cattle man hate a wild hog. They reck up pasture bad. Most cowboys hoghunt. And lots of people love to hoghunt. Its open season all year long. Day or night. I"ll try and post a few picks later. I need a little rest.

IMG00206.jpg

Thanks big muddy. Not a good pic. I had to snap it on the sly. My cowgerls a little shy. The mare's papered but a little common. But is sure athletic and willin. A step up for my girl. U pull her up and say woh and she'll slid to stop. Something my girls never had. The little horse don't mind jumpin a bull hole either. I'll try and get some better pics as we go along.

Very pretty young lady and good looking horse. I am sure they will lots of fun together.
Keep the pics coming even on the sly :lol:

Mrs lilly, that little mare is 12 years old. Is that to old to try on barrels? She just wonts to play around at cowboy church and such with her. She's rather work cattle and I'll start takein her more but she was askin me if she could try her on barrles so I was wanderin?

Nope that's not too old to start. The horse Amanda won on today is a 11 year old gelding. She started him on barrels last summer. Previously was a ranch/ropin horse.
So go for it. Only thing I'd advise is.....get someone that knows what they are doin to help her along and give her pointers on what and how to do it. Start slow....don't add speed until he can do everthing asked at a walk. Then a trot....then a lope. Correctly...(key word there lol) Takes time and lots of patience. And it's much easier to start one right....and do it correctly, than it is to do things wrong..and hafta go back and fix it.

edit: Also make sure teeth, hocks, stifles are all ok. Better to have that checked and find out, rather than get the horse goin and have problems and not know what's causing it.

Also....for barrels...get her a pair of braided nylon reins..one piece. She can do her slow work with the split reins...but once speed is added she'll need those one peice reins.

Exactly BMR...then one's that have been there and done that seem to handle it better. Still gotta start em slow and correct..but they progress along faster than the youngsters.

Oh and cowhunter...we have a cowboy church too here, that we love to go ride at. They have open arena for barrels every thursday night. Just cranked back up for the year a couple weeks ago so we went thursday night.

Latest posts