• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My little steer project

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
This is my little steer project. There are 36 of them. They are getting about 2 pounds of shell corn, the grass hay they will clean up, and a protein tub. They also have about 10 acres of hay meadow to pick at although that has already been picked pretty good. But I opened the gate so they could get to the river for water. If nothing else the manure lands in the field instead of in the corral.

PB223059.JPG
PB223061.JPG
PB223062.JPG

They look like money makers to me. They should do really good on what you are feeding them.
Only thing I would do different, is add a low a phos loose mineral. 😊 The mineral pack in tubs isn't very good in general.
Good luck with them!!
Keep us posted on their progress.

They look like money makers to me. They should do really good on what you are feeding them.
Only thing I would do different, is add a low a phos loose mineral. 😊 The mineral pack in tubs isn't very good in general.
Good luck with them!!
Keep us posted on their progress.
They do have loose minerals. I forgot to mention that because I always keep minerals in from of any cows I own.

Last week they passed out a Hereford steer I had sent. I didn't find out until yesterday. So today I went to pick him up. Of course this was sale day so I came home with my Hereford steer and two black steers. Big sale last week and this one the day before Thanksgiving. Not many cattle and fewer buyers. I bought those two for 25 cents less than I am averaging on the others. I need to quit going to the sale........ but I think I can fit 2 more into the feed bunk.

They do have loose minerals. I forgot to mention that because I always keep minerals in from of any cows I own.

Last week they passed out a Hereford steer I had sent. I didn't find out until yesterday. So today I went to pick him up. Of course this was sale day so I came home with my Hereford steer and two black steers. Big sale last week and this one the day before Thanksgiving. Not many cattle and fewer buyers. I bought those two for 25 cents less than I am averaging on the others. I need to quit going to the sale........ but I think I can fit 2 more into the feed bunk.
The brand inspector said last weeks sale went til 3:30 am :oops:

The brand inspector said last weeks sale went til 3:30 am :oops:
I helped a neighbor haul some calves in last week. The sale started at 10:30 AM. The lunch truck which is normally there wasn't there. At 4:30 PM my calves hadn't sold and I was getting hungry. So I loaded up the 5 that I had bought and left. I went up on the cat walk before leaving and there was calves for as far as I could see. But my calves weren't in sight.

That nexst day Matt got home from La Grande at 4:00 in the morning. He said they were still selling when he left. I don't know how many La Grande had but Vale was just under 3,000.

I helped a neighbor haul some calves in last week. The sale started at 10:30 AM. The lunch truck which is normally there wasn't there. At 4:30 PM my calves hadn't sold and I was getting hungry. So I loaded up the 5 that I had bought and left. I went up on the cat walk before leaving and there was calves for as far as I could see. But my calves weren't in sight.

That nexst day Matt got home from La Grande at 4:00 in the morning. He said they were still selling when he left. I don't know how many La Grande had but Vale was just under 3,000.
They have a lunch truck now? What happened to the restaurant? Not a good idea to not have food with that many animals especially.

They have a lunch truck now? What happened to the restaurant? Not a good idea to not have food with that many animals especially.
La Grande still has the cafe. It even ran through all the covid shut downs. The deal at Vale which was more like a snack shop shut down with covid. They have had various trucks over the last 8 or 9 months. The most recent one has pretty good food. They were there yesterday but missed the big sale the week before.

La Grande still has the cafe. It even ran through all the covid shut downs. The deal at Vale which was more like a snack shop shut down with covid. They have had various trucks over the last 8 or 9 months. The most recent one has pretty good food. They were there yesterday but missed the big sale the week before.
Whar weight of calves are you buying?

Whar weight of calves are you buying?
About 400 +/- 40 pounds. I see calves that size bringing $2.40. I am cheaper. There is 38 of them out there now. My average is $1.81. One of the advantages to being retired. I see guys come to the sale and today is the day. They buy everything in the size they want. And pay through the nose. If I just get a few that work I will be back next week.

Latest posts