• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My old picture and story

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
The cool picture H posted got me to thinking about one of mine. The picture and the deer are no where near as good but I have a pretty good story to go with it.

The first one is a picture of my Granddad with a deer tht my Dad shot. It was shot in 1940. The year before Grandpa told Dad he could go deer hunting when he turned 14. Dad was 13 and 11 months come hunting season. He figured that was close enough. So he went out and bought a hunting license, deer tag, and 5 rounds of 00 buckshot. He borrowed a shot gun for a neighbor and shot his first deer. That next year he saved his strawberry picking money and bought himself a rifle. The deer with Grandpa was the first deer Dad shot with the rifle. He was about 3 weeks shy of his 15th birthday. I have the antlers of that deer on the wall in my shop. I also have that rifle. I shot my first three deer with that rifle. One of these days I need to use it to shoot another deer.

Attachments

• P8232627.JPG
    P8232627.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 55
  • P8232628.JPG
    P8232628.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P8232629.JPG
    P8232629.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 54
A wonderful story about a simpler time. I'm grateful there are still some simple places, usually good deer habitat. What caliber is the rifle, I don't recognize it, but Winchester?

A wonderful story about a simpler time. I'm grateful there are still some simple places, usually good deer habitat. What caliber is the rifle, I don't recognize it, but Winchester?
It is a Winchester model 64 (up grade from a standard 94). It is a 30-30. Well old enough that on the barrel it says 30 WCF which is a 30-30.

I thought probably so, thanks. My 30-30 is a Marlin so it will take a while to be that cool. The only Winchesters I recognize have octagon barrels, the CF stands for center-fire I believe.

Latest posts