• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My rant for the day!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
What is it with people today? For the last 5 years I have been after the local FFA kids to sell me fruit, at there annual fund raiser. Last year I literally cornered a young lady and made her give me her fruit sales sheet. I think she ended up selling 4 or 5 boxes that night. Anyway, this year I didn't think about it, partially thinking that since I had bought from them last year, they would make an effort to seek me out. Didn't happen, and I didn't really think it should be up to me to beg to buy from them. When I was in FFA, 29 years ago, our chapter paid its own way to anything we wanted to do, Be it livestock judging, range judging, state or national convention. Maybe chapters still pay their own way, but judging by how they handle their fruit sales I doubt it. My biggest issue is its not the kids fault. If we as parents continue to not allow our children the responsibility of paying their own way how can we expect them to be productive members of our society?

And its not just kids!!! Our local parts supplier says they are open Monday through Friday, 9:00-4:30. The last couple times I have been in to buy something, it was either 9:30, or shortly before noon, and both times they were closed. I doubt that I will be buying much there. Everyone says call the cell number on the sign. Again, I shouldn't have to beg for you to sell me something.
If you make me feel like I am a burden, I will take my business somewhere else!!!

If it makes you feel any better I too find the same thing here. We bought fruit for years then no one calls. As for parts stores they are usually open but will be glad to ORDER the parts you need. Have a Great day

The apples and oranges both SUCKED this year. I refuse to eat soft, mushy apples, so the Boss is going to be making apple goody for Christmas. She gave all the oranges away. Should have just written them a check, I guess, and forgot about the fruit.

we bought a box of oranges, andthey were all good.

the FfA is only as good as it's advisor. at Pike Valley, they guy is a joke. gives out awards to kids who has parents doing all the work. even gave the pork award to a kid who's dad ran hogs...the kid NEVER helped at all, but no one applied, so he gave it to him.
just teaching the kids that you can get what ever awards you desire with out any effort...kinda like a nobel prize and a certain idiot from D.C.

We have the same problem. We hear about the FFA fruit SALE
when the ordered fruit is being delivered...

Now a little gal from church is a real go-getter. She sells differnt things
for church and school and she'll call for everything. She's very professional
about it and I appreciate her letting us know, even tho we don't buy
everything she has for sale.

yep its the same here,no one calls on us for fruit,the FFa kids drive around in the fall with a wagon at harvest time and expect you to donate corn and beans to the chapter and they still are broke,they even charge you for the awards banquet :???: :???: most of it cause of a change of teacher here,the old ag teacher had them builing houses to sell every year,not no more they dont do anything,a few years ago the FFA dept used to loan the school money,they are broke now

Just call the school and they will take your order.. Next year I will let you know and I will sell you some friut.. It's not the Instructor or teacher, the kids are pretty lazy and don't want to make an effort not only in fruit sales, but also in proficency books and creed speaking..... acutally in all the speaking there was only one kid in each class, but the program said there was more.... Sad deal ..... :(

Years ago our CattleWomen Club thought if we had an essay contest,
and had the kids do some reasearch it would combat some of the
negative things that were being circulated about beef. The name of the
contest was "Good News About Beef". Pretty simple. The results were
terrible. We tried the Ag Class the first year and the English Class the
second year. Kids couldn't even write complete sentences. We were so
disappointed because we had offered some good prizes. Most of the kids
didn't even bother to enter. So we cancelled the project...

while we do NOT have an FFA here in Ennis (i know..i know...WHAT???!!), our high schoolers who are raising money for the trip to washington dc are the ones selling pasties, burritos, raffle tickets and fruit..i, too, had to track down 2 of the kids to buy fruit from them...however, their "advisor" had given them the sale sheets 3 days before they needed to be turned in! i, therefore, was one of the lucky ones to have placed an order...many of my friends were not so lucky!! i am still giving away grapefruit, oranges and mandarin oranges to those who did not get the sale offered to them!! the fruit was wonderful, but the kids would have done soooooo much better if they had been given a little more notice!!! sad.....

I guess that is part of what bothers me. When I was selling fruit, my folks always mentioned it to everyone they talked to. I had to make all the follow up calls, but my folks broke the ice and made it easy for me to follow up. The parents of these kids never once said anything, nor was there anything in the school newsletter. I guess its just easier to rely on Federal and State Aid, then it is to pay your own way!!

kris said:
the ones selling pasties, burritos, raffle tickets and fruit ....

when you say that they are selling "pasties" are you refering to the little sticker s that women put over thier breasts so they can legally walk topless down the street, or was that a typo and you meant pastries ??
just curious, cause if it is pasties, I am wondering what the hell that prep school is preping them for ??

I can't believe anyone would be mad that they didn't get hit up to buy overpriced fruit. Way back when our senior class had to raise money for our senior trip. I found out what my share was and wrote a check. It was easier to work for it myself then to do all the stupid fundraisers we were supposed to do.

You may have missed the point BH. First of all when you were a kid you did get the point and went out and worked for it. This rant as I understand it is about the lack of work ethic the new generation has and it is not being taught at that level. I buy all sorts of overpriced stuff to support the work ethic education. It would definitely be easier for us to buy goods elsewhere cheaper and stroke the kids a cheque but no lessens are learned by the kids for that.

jigs said:
kris said:

when you say that they are selling "pasties" are you refering to the little sticker s that women put over thier breasts so they can legally walk topless down the street, or was that a typo and you meant pastries ??
just curious, cause if it is pasties, I am wondering what the hell that prep school is preping them for ??

In case kris misses this, jigs, I will let you know what the 'Pastie" is
that she referred to. It is meat and veggies put in a dough, rolled
up and baked. It can be eaten with gravy over it, or plain. The miners
in SW Montana packed them in their lunch, and they are well
known there, but not everywhere. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding
you may have. And I think it is spelled "Pasty", but I'm not sure.
:D :D :D

I sold many boxes of fruit as that was our only way to go to National Convention. The top 10 sellers earned and trip and therefore we were highly motivated. I graduated 11 years ago and have been asked once to buy fruit.

I was Chapter president and vice president and a state and american degree holder. I also still live in the area. It's not like I am a stranger to the program. I will not call and ask to buy, but the 1st kid that would come I would be more than willing to buy from them.

Faster horses said:
jigs said:
kris said:

it sounds delicious...I would enjoy eating one, as I watched the other ones on stage ! :shock:

4Diamond said:
I sold many boxes of fruit as that was our only way to go to National Convention. The top 10 sellers earned and trip and therefore we were highly motivated. I graduated 11 years ago and have been asked once to buy fruit.

I was Chapter president and vice president and a state and american degree holder. I also still live in the area. It's not like I am a stranger to the program. I will not call and ask to buy, but the 1st kid that would come I would be more than willing to buy from them.

I guess this is what I was trying to say to start out with. We have moved into this area, but I have known most of the parents of the kids most of my life, and actually went to alot of Range Judging contests with this FFA chapter. I am an easy sell. All kids have to do is call, or stop me at church, a ball game, or when I am visiting with their parents.

Quite a few years ago, I was filling my pickup with gas at the local station. A young very timid high school girl walked by on her way to the cafe. She went by me quite a few steps, and then worked up her courage to come back where I was leaning on the pickup. She said, "The school is selling magazines. I know they are terribly expensive, and I sure wouldn't blame you if you don't want to buy any." Needless to say, I looked over the pamphlet and subscribed to one of the available publications. Her humble attitude was the selling point. :wink:

On the flip side, sometimes a "pushy" kid comes along peddling something I really don't want. It is quite easy to say no to these requests, although usually I try to take into consideration where the money will be going.

jigs said:
Faster horses said:
jigs said:

it sounds delicious...I would enjoy eating one, as I watched the other ones on stage ! :shock:

Here ya go, jigs. Your wife can make them, they are very easy and very
tasty.

OLD WORLD MEAT PASTY
OLD WORLD MEAT PIE: PASTY

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1932,147166-236194,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
2-3 med. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 lg. onion, chopped
3-4 carrots, sliced
Parsley
Spice for taste

DOUGH:

3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. shortening
3/4 c. water

Mix dough and divide into 8 parts. Roll each part into a circle. Assemble filling one half of each circle, beginning with layer of ground beef. Follow with layers of potato and carrot slices. Top with onions, parsley and garlic salt to taste. Fold dough over like a turnover and bake at 350 degrees one hour or until lightly browned. Makes 8 pastys.
To freeze: Bake only 45 minutes. Reheat in 350 degree oven until brown, about 20 minutes. Microwave: Reheat frozen pastys 3-4 minutes.
-----------------------------

She won't need to layer the filling, it can be all mixed together. And
the dough needn't be in a circle, just so that it surrounds the filling
that is put on it. :D

Latest posts