• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My sheep dogs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
My son brought home 4 sheep to train his young Border collie, he lives in town and is busy trucking plus other things so doesn't work the wild little buggers nearly enough to get the pup able to handle them
I decided to take my 2 cattle dogs that I never gave much for formal training and dog break these sheep. It's been fun, my old dog was close to being a Trial class dog but these 2 work on their own some, they will put calves back through the bunk on their own if I don't make it out of the tractor to get gate open. They are getting the sheep out of the corner, and they are getting them to stand by me. I am still working on getting them to work off the sheep and maybe some day they will do an Outrun instead of just charging in but I am having fun in the evenings and hope the young pup will have a chance at herding the sheep/ antelope crosses that are out in my arena, :D :D

lavacarancher said:
I really like watching good sheep/cattle dogs work. They are pretty amazing.

I do to , unfortunately mine aren't good sheep dogs. :lol:
The pup was out this morning so I took her to the pen, she was still having troubles with them so I brought my younger dog in the pen to help and left the old boy outside to help keep them off the fence, Things worked a little better, we were able to hold the sheep in the middle of the pen so thought that was a good time to stop. :D

Sounds like fun. I have 14 wk old pups, one of which is wanting to work. Not sure I am all that ready for her to be so intent already. I have a few quiet yearling that I have used a time or two for her but even those are big next to her. Weaning some lambs this week, I suppose I will dog break those then move them into the training pen. Less of a chance of anyone getting hurt when things go south :)
Jess is currently figuring out that swallows might be fun to watch as they fly low over the grass but the buggers don't herd at all. No fair when they fly out of the yard.

I am getting another pup since Tators passed. With her I started her on some fat Longhorns. Don't have any of them now so how do I start a new pup? Only 8 weeks old so I have time to get the basics instilled maybe.

Latest posts