• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

my story

Help Support Ranchers.net:

VCC

Reaction score
All though I joined 10 years ago, I'm not much of a serious Rancher, I have 2 cows, no pasture except when the winter rye will grow. I do enjoy visiting this site and learning, Soapweed's stories and pictures along with the rest of the post. I have been around Ag most my life. My grandfather worked on a dairy all his life, my uncle farmed hay, before that he sold International Harvesters throughout the Smith Valley, Yerington area along with the rest of western Nevada. When I was young I wanted to be a Cowboy, in high school a cowman, I'll settle for a hobby farmer.

A story about my grandson "Curren". Since the time he could take notice of things, he loved the cows, all 2 of them, more than anything. All he ever wanted to do was go see the cows, he would feed them hay, chew on some sweat feed or just watch them. They were both old show heifers so they are dog gentle, once and awhile he would get a big kiss when he got too close to the fence. When he was first trying to walk he had one of those things on wheels that lets them walk and hold on to it to keep balance, well his dad was walking around with him around the driveway. He gets this look on his face, well more like a devilish grin and starts running, pushing the walker, looking over his shoulder to see if he was getting away, he was headed to the barn to see the moos. When he would wake up the first thing he would do is look up at you from the crib and moo, when he woke up from his nap, Moo.

Well on July 24, 2016 he did not wake up from his nap, SID's they said. One day shortly after we lost him, I was just standing in the barn watching the cows eat, Therapy I call it, when I came up with this idea: In his honor we have started a foundation to assist a youth raise a breeding heifer, each year we will award a heifer scholarship. It took over a year for me to work out all the bugs in my plan but we will be awarding a heifer scholarship this fall. I have some really good friends that are helping me along the way.

I'm doing it for 2 reasons, in memory of Curren my Grandson and because, of the benefits the kid will get from the experience, with the way are world is going today kids need something to help them develop self-worth, something to take pride in, humility, responsibility, work ethic as well as learning about life. Almost every child I have known who was involved in youth Ag have gone on to successful adults. My oldest, Curren's dad, is a foreman for an electrical company, my youngest graduated college with a degree in Landscape Architecture, Kids they showed with, an Ag teacher, a nurse, a business major, One owns parking lots all over San Diego, they all found out hard work pays off.

I'm not asking for anything, just help a kid out when you get a chance and hug those young ones whenever you can.
We have a webpage, share it if you can, help me get it out there.

Currenscows.com

Again I do enjoy visiting this site everyone has a wealth of knowledge and experience but you all seem like real nice people to boot.

VCC, that is sad about losing your grandson Curren. Life is very fragile, and we all need to enjoy the gift of each day we are given. That is probably why it is called the "present." Your idea sounds like a wonderful way to honor him.

One of the requirements is they must send in a monthly update on what they have learned, experienced, what they are feeding, if they have gone to a show that experience as well as pictures of their project. All of this will be posted on our website, that will allow anyone interested to follow their progress.

I would be happy to help in any way. My kids show 4H animals and maybe we can donate some show equipment if that would help? I will send you a PM with my contact info. You are a good man and it would be an honor to meet a guy like you.

Latest posts