• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My type of cattle Vol 1

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Doug Thorson

Reaction score
Mytypeofcows003.jpg

heading to water

Mytypeofcows017.jpg

Grandma

Mytypeofcows005.jpg

Grandma's daughter

Mytypeofcows010.jpg

lunchtime

Mytypeofcows012.jpg

is a great time

Mytypeofcows016.jpg

to take pictures

Mytypeofcows020.jpg

11 year old cow

Mytypeofcows027.jpg

magnesium, even though I am not sure there is enough grass to get grass tetnous

ps sorry about the picture size. I couldn't get photobucket to resize the middle ones

Amen to what Soap says....I thinkthe bottom end of the Hereford Breed tends to give a bad rap to the rest..Very nice udders,

PPRM

Thanks for the nice remarks, especially about the udders. I have worked on that. The seeds of Hardass Cattle Company were planted with a prolapse, watered with bad udders and grew under the heat of late calvers. Now I am a hardass and crap gets gone.

Doug Thorson said:
The seeds of Hardass Cattle Company were planted with a prolapse, watered with bad udders and grew under the heat of late calvers. Now I am a hardass and crap gets gone.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug Thorson said:
Thanks for the nice remarks, especially about the udders. I have worked on that. The seeds of Hardass Cattle Company were planted with a prolapse, watered with bad udders and grew under the heat of late calvers. Now I am a hardass and crap gets gone.

Funny how when you quit making excuses for you cows you suddenly have cows you don't have to make excuses for,

PPRM

Nice cattle! It confuses me though, seeing the brand on the left rib makes me wonder some. We have what looks to be the same brand on some bulls we own. Do you sell bulls?

Nice cattle! It confuses me though, seeing the brand on the left rib makes me wonder some. We have what looks to be the same brand on some bulls we own. Do you sell bulls?

Sorry I missed your question Tap. Yes I sell bulls, but I don't think I have sold any to you. The rib brand is the Shield Bar. My brand is the 22 Below Zero. Wilk Riesland who run the Shield Bar passed away a couple years ago. I bought about 50 of his cows at the herd dispersal. That led me to try the bull business.

Doug Thorson said:

Sorry I missed your question Tap. Yes I sell bulls, but I don't think I have sold any to you. The rib brand is the Shield Bar. My brand is the 22 Below Zero. Wilk Riesland who run the Shield Bar passed away a couple years ago. I bought about 50 of his cows at the herd dispersal. That led me to try the bull business.

The cow in your fourth picture really made me scratch my head. She looks like she could be the mother of a bull we bought a year ago from SBH. I wonder if you have the cow if it is not her. She is SBH L1 Miss Domino 8037. We might have to do some business down the road. Here is a picture of our bull (to the right), and another SBH bull.

cowsandranchpictures123-1.jpg

I don't think a new calf would have trouble getting ahold of any one of those gals. Nice cattle. Good pictures.

The cow in the fourth picture is SBH 9033. She is a 3/8 sister to 8037. I bought most of the 2 series and a large portion of the 9 series and then the 8 series come in and brought more money than the 9 series. On page 6 of this forum I posted a bull poster. A question for you. Are you going to Carmichaels today for the Hereford Meeting?

those are some solid looking herfords, around here the small producers are not watching the udder problems that has got me a little shy of the breed but like everyone else said those are some cows to write home about.

Doug Thorson said:
The cow in the fourth picture is SBH 9033. She is a 3/8 sister to 8037. I bought most of the 2 series and a large portion of the 9 series and then the 8 series come in and brought more money than the 9 series. On page 6 of this forum I posted a bull poster. A question for you. Are you going to Carmichaels today for the Hereford Meeting?

Today would have been a good day to be indoors at a meeting. Wind blew up to 50 mph again here. I did not make it, but if you did, did you learn anything? I have seen Carmichaels bulls, and they are good looking bulls.

I went. Huge turnout of over 200. Good and bad. The AHA is working on a study to prove Hereford's feed efficiency and the benefits of hetorosis. All well and good but they are also pushing retained ownership and eid tags. A lot of the stuff they are trying to prove the oldtimers proved in the 50s with their eyeballs. They also mentioned that they are trying to catch up to CAB but CHB is 10 years old so it's time to quit whining about being the new guys. All in all I don't see AHA doing a lot to help us guys up here in the north(all CHB is killed in the south) but I am not going to go buy black bulls today and give up on Herefords. I think the feed efficiency can easily make up for the other things with feed as high as it is. Initial results are something to the effect of at 3.75 corn a Hereford converts enough better to cover the average choice/select spread on 50% of the animals so if you can get 51% choice you will make more on the Hereford pen. The first test on heterosis is showing a baldie averaging over 70 pounds heavier plus the benefit of feed effeciency from the Hereford. Of course everyone who ranched in the 50s and 60s knew about heterosis but a lot of younger people forget.

When you read the propaganda the angus assn. puts out there is no need to crossbreed. I know where they came up with that idea. Pruse through 1950 and 60 Hereford Journals. The editorials and testimanials are loaded with examples of straight bred cattle out doing crossbreds. History has a way of repeating itself.

Say Northern I have some Lad semen coming next week going to use it in some heifers and some Red Baldy cows I have.

Latest posts