• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NASCAR Update

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MsSage

Reaction score
NASCAR to begin policing bump drafting
Associated Press
Posted: 5 hours ago

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Two days after Nextel Cup champion Tony Stewart said the bumping and banging at Daytona International Speedway must stop before somebody gets hurt or killed, NASCAR decided to begin policing what drivers call "bump drafting."

The practice - slamming into the rear of another car to maintain momentum - is common at Daytona and Talladega, the only two NASCAR tracks that require carburetor restrictor-plates to choke horsepower and limit speeds.

Although this has been going on for years, Stewart thinks it's out of control. And NASCAR apparently agrees.

Nextel Cup officials said Tuesday that spotters in "zones" in the turns on the 2.5-mile Daytona track will feed information to NASCAR, which will then determine whether to penalize cars in Sunday's season-opening race.

The decision came in the wake of Stewart's criticism of bump drafting in superspeedway racing following a particularly wild ride in Sunday's Budweiser Shootout exhibition.

Robin Pemberton, vice president of competition, and Nextel Cup director John Darby outlined a plan to begin policing the bump drafting in Thursday's two 150-mile qualifying races for Sunday's Daytona 500.

"As we go forward in attempting to control bump drafting in those areas, there's going to be some very subjective calls being made," Darby said. "That's the reason we'd like to get this under way as quickly as possible. ... Hopefully we don't have to make a call. But if we do make a call in the twins, it wouldn't be quite as painful as having to make it in the Daytona 500."

Pemberton said penalties for overzealous bumping could range from driving through the pit lane at the pit road speed limit to being parked for repeat offenses.

He said it will be up to the drivers to keep from getting into trouble on track.

"It's a serious matter," Pemberton said. "To leave it in our hands when we're not out there, they may get a call they didn't bargain for."

Two-time Daytona 500 winner Michael Waltrip, said the new policy could be a problem.

"That's going to be really arbitrary to police because even the most sublime bump drafts at a time when a guy's getting ready to make a move in another direction can result in sending a guy out of control," Waltrip said. "It seems to me it would have to result in a crash before (NASCAR) could react.

"If you bump draft going straight really hard, that's OK. You have to know the other guy is going to continue in a straight line. Even if you barely bump draft him, it would cause a crash if he's starting to make a move."

Darby said NASCAR is going to try to work with the competitors on the situation.

"Every bump draft will not create a penalty," Darby said. "Every time a car touches another car will not create a penalty. Unless it becomes very apparent to us that there is an unnecessary hit, specifically in one of the no zones, we will not issue a penalty."

Darby noted that bump drafting in and of itself is not an offense.

"It can enhance the excitement of the race," he said. "As it transfers to stock cars, and particularly applies to Daytona and Talladega, with the cars running closer together, a bump draft at the right time in the right place is not the worst thing in the world. But it has been turning bump drafting into slam drafting because the hits just keep getting harder and harder and harder."

Pemberton said having officials police bump drafting is not a long-term solution.

"There are a number of things that can be done," he said. "But we have to do it right and make sure that whatever the fix is, the cars are at least as safe as they are now."
Good about time. Bump drafting is good in the straight away BUT NOT in the turns.

Nascar was better before all the stinking rules. Back when they ran cars off the showroom floor and deating and banging was the way you ran. Even 10 years ago it was better than now. That was when you could still put the compotation in the wall to win. That is why those drivers were so good the could take a beating and still hold it on the track.

Only part of the Nascar cars today that is "Stock" is the engine block.

Why do they call them "Stock" cars?

If they still ran stock cars then we would not have all this restrictor plate trouble.
If you want to see real racing just go to the local dirt track and watch the locals run on saturday night. They call it dirt track fighting and some times a race breaks out.

So true Alabama, Mr Lilly always says, "NEVER git outta yer car and take your helmet off, and always hang on to the steerin wheel after ya take it off" He's not there to fight, but you never know who else just might be.

And fun.......whats even more fun that watchin dirt track is gettin behind the wheel, I cant wait for this season to start, they got powder puffs scheduled once a month!!!!!!

yep. You can't beat a saturday night at the dirt track with a full moon. Now that is real racing.

Yeah its a great place to start out in racing. Fun to watch the kids coming up. BUT as you know every true racer who is good enough ends up in the Charlotte area looking to play with the BIG BOYS.

let em' bang all they want...... first no bump drafting, and I suppose they wont let you rub at Bristol next!

NO BUMPING at Bristol???????NO WAY!~!~!~! The best race was when Earnhart "wrecked" Terry coming out of turn 4. Terry still won the race ~sidways wwohhhooooooo

Geeshhhhhhh it EARNED the nickname the BULLRING

ever listen to Johnboy and Billy??? I love the song about Ironhead and Rubber neck ! when they interviewed Rusty, I just loved it...he was in tear before it was over talking about the intimidator....they are not on around here anymore, I sure miss them!

hmmm Johnboy & Billy.......nawwwwww never heard of the FOX :wink:
Yeah I have listened to those two since I was in high school yessssssss they have been on THAT long LOL I think they are on sat. radio now.....
Yes I can say I heard them before they got National.
You should have SEEN the water bottle hitting Dale LOL OMGAWD

Latest posts