• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nasty Winter Storm

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
Virden - Souris
10:19 PM CST Sunday 13 November 2005
Winter storm warning for
Virden - Souris continued

Snow and blowing snow expected Monday and Tuesday.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions...Listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system currently developing over southern Alberta is forecast to intensify into a Major storm system spreading snow and blowing snow as it crosses southern Manitoba through the day on Monday and into Tuesday. Southwestern areas of the province will see snow begin Monday morning while in more easterly areas the snow will begin in the afternoon. This system is expected to give generally 10 to 15 cm of snow across most areas although local amounts could reach over 20 cm by Tuesday evening. Strong easterly winds on Monday and northerly winds on Tuesday will accompany this winter storm producing poor visibilities in blowing snow.

Travellers should be prepared for poor driving conditions across southern Manitoba on Monday and Tuesday.

Well, the forecast was finally right, for once! Snowflakes the size of silver dollars coming down sideways!!!
Visibility is less than 100yds. at times. The really scary part is that today is the first day of rifle season here and I can hear shots from every direction. How can these guys even see what they are shooting at let alone what is beyond???
It's a good day to get chores done early and then retire to the safety of the couch!! :)

My son is in Moose Jaw taking his 1A driving test this morning. He was less then impressed when he got up and had to clean 4inches of wet snow off his truck to go down and take the test.

Wow.... I guess winter is here with vengence!! :shock: :shock: Cant see 200 ft. It is one nasty day out. Have to go feed up the cows in the bush, and bed them up. How sthe weather every where else today?

We got a couple inches of the wet stuff. Sun's trying to come out, not succeeding too well. It's supposed to dip down to -17C for the next couple of nights. Brrr! If the forecasters are right (ha ha), it's supposed to warm up quite nicely again come this weekend.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Son is now a trucker. Got his Class 1A in the snow storm this morning. He's happy but worried about getting home as the roads are the S--Ts.

Well good for lil muddy,whats he gonna do now buy a truck ?I hope he is careful on the way home,I know yall get tired of snow up there but,dont sound all bad to us,have plenty firewood and let it snow,we usually get a dusting here most years,sit in frontt of the fire place sippin good whiskey :wink: ..........good luck

Haymaker,

Us poor Canadian ranchers cant afford the finiest whiskies, so I guess strong coffee will have to do..... :eek: :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Son is now a trucker. Got his Class 1A in the snow storm this morning. He's happy but worried about getting home as the roads are the S--Ts.

Well good for lil muddy,whats he gonna do now buy a truck ?I hope he is careful on the way home,I know yall get tired of snow up there but,dont sound all bad to us,have plenty firewood and let it snow,we usually get a dusting here most years,sit in frontt of the fire place sippin good whiskey :wink: ..........good luck

No I don't think he's going to buy a truck. I think he's hoping to get a water truck driving job on the rigs. Lots of work for driver around here. The boys hauling crude from here into the US are making $20 hours and the rig workers maybe more. He is going to haul somemore hay that I bought before he takes off.

Sounds like most of the snow is going to miss us --just getting some little snow squalls now---But the wind is miserable- blowing 30-gusting to 45mph-- temp down to 34, but the wind makes it feel like 20 below.....

Definitely good whiskey weather Haymaker--not much else you can do without getting blown away......I need to run into the Bank this afternoon-maybe talk the banker into us slipping over to the Waterhole for awhile-- have a little Canadian Rye and help Manitoba Rancher and the Canadian economy out a little :wink: :lol: .....

Oldtimer said:
Sounds like most of the snow is going to miss us --just getting some little snow squalls now---But the wind is miserable- blowing 30-gusting to 45mph-- temp down to 34, but the wind makes it feel like 20 below.....

Definitely good whiskey weather Haymaker--not much else you can do without getting blown away......I need to run into the Bank this afternoon-maybe talk the banker into us slipping over to the Waterhole for awhile-- have a little Canadian Rye and help Manitoba Rancher and the Canadian economy out a little :wink: :lol: .....

That's the good part about bad weather,stay inside sipping good whiskey :wink: ...........good luck

we're supposed to get hammered tonight...not so much of the snow -- only 4 to 6 inches -- but the wind is supposed to hit 50 mph and stay well over the 35 mph mark until sometime tomorrow afternoon. Blizzard conditions to say the least...

It's gonna get nasty out there so everyone stay safe!!!

and here I sit complaining about the 45 degrees and full sunshine!

guess a guy don't have to look far to see it can always be worse.

We are just getting hammered here. Roads arent in good shape and its next thing to a good ole blizzard when you step out the door. It has gotten worse all afternoon. Went to feed the cows this afternoon and almost couldnt find them. Good thing I dont have Chars or I would still be searching for them...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

been squallin' off and on all day long here with nice 30-40 mile per hour winds going along!!! Not a good day for our cowdog to decide to "pup-out"....yes, again!! :roll: 8 pretty pups!!! Mom is blue healer/border collie and dad is registered collie (mom and dad both look like "Lassie" and our Onyx came out a rare blue merle.....sure hope i spelled that right :oops: ) They will be ready for homes around christmas!! :D

Pretty much done snowing now. There is a nice breeze out of the NW at about "warp 7" blowing all the snow into some good sized drifts. Schools are closed. Not real cold though, around 20 Fahrenheit. I might have to put on a long-sleeved shirt today. :wink:
A small flock of swans and 2 bald eagles just flew over here, headed south. They were low and fast. They were "head down/ass up" and had that " F--- this" look on their faces.......smart birds! :)

Tim H,

Its the same here, the wind is really whipping that snow around. Heard they are talking about the windchill tonite and tomorrow being in around the -30. That will really put the bite in the fall air....... Could somebody from the south send some warm sunlight our way..... :roll:

We ve got over a foot of snow since this storm started so I guess we can say winter is officially here? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Latest posts