• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

National Animal ID System

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America

For Immediate Release Contact: Shae Dodson, Communications Coordinator
July 8, 2005 Phone: 406-672-8969; e-mail: [email protected]

Formal Comments on National Animal ID System Allow U.S. Cattle Producers Opportunity to Shape Plan

(Billings, Mont.) – R-CALF USA continued its role of representing the interests of U.S. cattle producers during the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA's) ongoing development of a National Animal Identification System (NAIS). R-CALF USA on Wednesday submitted formal comments on the draft plan under Federal Register guidelines.

"This is an important time within our industry, and it's crucial that input of producers be considered, as this issue could cause significant changes to the U.S. cattle industry," said North Dakota veterinarian Richard Bowman, who chairs R-CALF USA's Animal Identification Committee. "I am proud of the product this committee put together, as members worked hard to make sure that key concerns of producers are being addressed."

Member volunteers on the committee represent various sectors of the U.S. cattle industry, including American Indian tribes, coordinators of animal identification pilot projects, representatives of livestock markets, livestock haulers, livestock feeders, and ranchers from brand states and non-brand states alike, worked diligently to reach consensus on how the NAIS draft plan should look.

"We are hearing word that a small minority is pushing for privatization of the system, and I just don't see how that will work," Bowman said. "In my 30-plus years as a practicing veterinarian, I've seen the enactment and enforcement of efficient and effective government-run animal health programs.

"The brucellosis eradication program is an example of an effective federal program that was carried out by individual state animal health boards – a program perfected by producers working hand-in-hand with their veterinarians, along with their state and federal animal health officials," Bowman continued. "I foresee this Animal ID plan working the same way.

"I do not think industry associations can work with private companies to create a proper system," he said "A profit-driven system will not benefit cattle producers, consumers, nor the USDA."

Bill Sauble, president-elect of the New Mexico Cattle Growers Association agreed.

"We have to ensure the use of existing systems, and avoid the road of privatization," he said. "New Mexico is a brand state, and I'm pleased that the USDA NAIS draft plan addresses brands. We will continue to work with USDA to ensure that brands are being utilized."

Committee member Ross Racine, executive director of the Intertribal Agriculture Council (IAC), explained the unique role of American Indian tribes in development of the NAIS.

"We are really concerned that a private entity may jeopardize the role of tribes within this NAIS, so the IAC has been looking into making certain that the USDA addresses the intricacies of tribes and their sovereign rights," Racine said. "IAC will work to ensure that tribes have the proper ID system that works."

R-CALF USA Director of Government Relations Jess Peterson praised USDA for the agency's work on the NAIS draft plan.

"The agency has attempted to make the NAIS flexible for various types of cattle operations and unique settings found at ranches around the country," Peterson said. "I believe if we can continue to provide input to USDA, we can create an effective tracking system.

"However, the government needs to maintain control of the system," continued Peterson "Any talk of private groups taking control and putting an ID system in place before 2009 is simply inappropriate.

"There is no need to rush an extremely costly and difficult project," Peterson emphasized. "The USDA needs to move forward in a responsible and deliberate manner so it can properly evaluate the effectiveness of ongoing pilot projects, while continuing to address concerns of producers."

To view R-CALF USA's comments, log on to: www.r-calfusa.com and click "Animal ID."

# # #

R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) represents thousands of U.S. cattle producers on domestic and international trade and marketing issues. R-CALF USA, a national, non-profit organization, is dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry. R-CALF USA's membership consists primarily of cow-calf operators, cattle backgrounders, and feedlot owners. Its members – over 18,000 strong – are located in 47 states, and the organization has over 60 local and state association affiliates, from both cattle and farm organizations. Various main street businesses are associate members of R-CALF USA. For more information, visit www.r-calfusa.com or, call 406-252-2516.

R-CALF quote;"I do not think industry associations can work with private companies to create a proper system," he said "A profit-driven system will not benefit cattle producers, consumers, nor the USDA."

Government is just too EXpenisve,TOO SLOW,Too many Bureau CRATS,and enfasive with the IRS nosing around.

"Bill Sauble, president-elect of the New Mexico Cattle Growers Association agreed.

"We have to ensure the use of existing systems, and avoid the road of privatization," he said. "New Mexico is a brand state, and I'm pleased that the USDA NAIS draft plan addresses brands. We will continue to work with USDA to ensure that brands are being utilized."

Good for you Bill!
Porker............"Government is just too EXpenisve,TOO SLOW,Too many Bureau CRATS,and enfasive with the IRS nosing around.
I suppose the private sector is in the game for shits and giggles? On this deal I will take the Gov in a NY minute over the private sector. If you cannot figure out what NCBA's motives and other private data warehouses are you need to go back and try and pass third grade! :roll:

Latest posts