• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NCBA checkoff bid

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker

Reaction score
Can't remember who was asking about a contract NCBA got from the checkoff, but I read something today on it.

NCBA and National Livestock Producer's Association (NLPA) were both bidding on the same contract from the checkoff. NCBA was awarded the bid even though their bid was $850,000 higher than the NLPA. That's all I know.

Sandhusker said:
Can't remember who was asking about a contract NCBA got from the checkoff, but I read something today on it.

NCBA and National Livestock Producer's Association (NLPA) were both bidding on the same contract from the checkoff. NCBA was awarded the bid even though their bid was $850,000 higher than the NLPA. That's all I know.

I was asking about it. I'd heard the general story but no details. If government speech is involved, then like all government contracts there would peferrably be three bids. I know that not all governmnet contracts ALWAYS go to the lowest bid, but I do know that when it doesn't, there has to be a full WRITTEN explanation on file.

If the government has "hired" someone to speak for it, the contracting process ought to be open to FOIA as well. What can be found out about this?

Wouldn't it be a conflict of interest to let out a bid to someone sho shares your office space. If they don't get the contract wouldn't that possibly effect your own tenancy?

Some bids are evaluated strictly on cost, others on other considerations such as technical merit. If one bidder did not write a compliant proposal -- omitted bidding activities or approaches that the government mandated, left out required material such as past relevant experience, then they could lose regardless of price.

There don't have to be three bidders, that is for certain types of contracts such as buying HW. It's really all about the evaluation criteria and the specifics of the two proposals. It's a highly regulated process and it's hard to be grossly unfair given all the paperwork and regulations. That's not to say that there won't be favorites but the winner still has to write a good proposal and provide good value.

Every once and a while I hear about undue influence -- some representative from West Virginia let's say who influences an award to a local company. But for the most part, this stuff is pretty much on the up and up, at least in the procurements I've seen. There are often surprises, such as an incumbent losing, an underdog being awarded on the basis of a great proposal.

I'd be interested in what purchase/contract requirements are imposed on the Beef Board. Have they been operating like they are a private business that can rightfully give the bid to whoever they want, or not even have a bid at all?

Now that we know the contract is for government speech, contracting should be done just like on all government projects?

Is it?

I know it doesn't always go to the low bid. But when it doesn't, it has to be documented as to why. (Different specs. Some items left out. Terms not acceptable.) So what were the reasons on the contract when they didn't go with the low bid?

Latest posts