• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NCBA is going to p$$$ off Canada

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
NCBA Pushes For "Provisionally Free" BSE Status
The National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) is urging USDA to seek the "Provisionally Free" designation for the U.S. from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). NCBA says such a designation "will provide additional assurance to our trading partners that U.S. cattle and beef are safe from BSE."

In a letter sent Wednesday to USDA Secretary Mike Johanns, NCBA says the designation is consistent with OIE's 2004 Terrestrial Animal Health Code because the U.S. meets all criteria. The letter says the trade disruption has amounted to U.S. cattle losses of more than $175/head and exceeding $4.5 billion in cumulative income losses.

NCBA points out the two decades of work in analyzing the risks of BSE and instituting firewalls dating back to 1989. Among these are surveillance programs that exceed OIE requirements, says Gary Weber, NCBA's executive director of regulatory affairs.

"There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease," the letter says.

...that would be great if you Americans could get your BSE status back... would probably be the best thing that could happen to us Canadians...with last weeks decision maybe our government and CCA will get their heads out of your American butts and finally look for whats best for the Canadian rancher...something tells me I doubt that will happen...

P.S. ...hope all of our live Canadian cows down there die soon...that way you can only blame yourselves if that disease ever shows its ugly head...have a good evening...

NCBA says such a designation "will provide additional assurance to our trading partners that U.S. cattle and beef are safe from BSE."

Well I sure hope the designation will provide assurance because the US beef industry isn't doing it with their selective testing are they?

NCBA points out the two decades of work in analyzing the risks of BSE and instituting firewalls dating back to 1989. Among these are surveillance programs that exceed OIE requirements, says Gary Weber, NCBA's executive director of regulatory affairs.

"There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease," the letter says.

Who are you kidding. Canada has been right beside the US in all that the US has done in the last two decades except when we were a step ahead. Could these be the same firewalls that allowed the Washington cow into the food chain? And should we look at the OIE recommendations for the new aggressive surveilance system compared to the one that is actually being done. And Yes you have had a feed ban in place for 7 1/2 years but how long have you complyed to it. Do you happen to have records to prove your compliance ? I talked to a US rancher today that said he knows that BSE is in the US but it just hasn't been found yet and he fears what is going to happen when it is, thanks to R-CALF and their fearmongering ways.

[
I talked to a US rancher today that said he knows that BSE is in the US but it just hasn't been found yet and he fears what is going to happen when it is, thanks to R-CALF and their fearmongering ways.[/quote]

And how does this USA rancher know that we have BSE?

I guess you would have to ask him as I agreed and that was the end of that topic and we moved on to bashing R-CALF. Oh what fun we had laughing and talking.

Sounds like black helicopters to me. They seen 2,000 bse cows in your area when they flew over.

Tam said:
NCBA says such a designation "will provide additional assurance to our trading partners that U.S. cattle and beef are safe from BSE."

Well I sure hope the designation will provide assurance because the US beef industry isn't doing it with their selective testing are they?

Who are you kidding. Canada has been right beside the US in all that the US has done in the last two decades except when we were a step ahead. Could these be the same firewalls that allowed the Washington cow into the food chain? And should we look at the OIE recommendations for the new aggressive surveilance system compared to the one that is actually being done. And Yes you have had a feed ban in place for 7 1/2 years but how long have you complyed to it. Do you happen to have records to prove your compliance ? I talked to a US rancher today that said he knows that BSE is in the US but it just hasn't been found yet and he fears what is going to happen when it is, thanks to R-CALF and their fearmongering ways.

That's the problem. CCA and CFIA thought they were joined at the hip with NCBA and USDA but that relationship is over. Don't expect NCBA to defend UTM beef continuing to flow into the US. The sooner CCA and it's affiliates get on with what they have the ability to change the better off Canadian producers will be. Comparing what is and isn't being done in each country is pointless so there are those of us working on made in Canada solutions.

Latest posts