• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NCBA Still Promoting "Their" Checkoff

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

NCBA must be feeling pretty cocky after the Supreme Court ruling- again putting the message out that all this work is being done by the NCBA- I don't want my dollar used to advertise NCBA or that it is their decision on what to promote as my "government speach"... This is what could lose them the next court appeal-- and I'm a backer of the checkoff... I just don't want it used to advertise NCBA.......

MRJ- This is more of what I saw in my area for years-- Checkoff bucks to promote NCBA :cry: :mad: I thought you told me that the Checkoff is "independent" from NCBA-- If you are right (which I know you aren't) somebody forgot to tell the NCBA leadership :wink: .....

-----------------------------------------------------
6/23/2005 3:10:00 PM

NCBA Update: Beef Checkoff Teams with Boston Market to Feature Top Sirloin Meals

DENVER (June 23, 2005) – The Beef Checkoff Program is partnering with Boston Market to introduce new roasted top sirloin meals. The restaurant chain, previously best-known for its rotisserie chicken, is introducing 5-ounce and 8-ounce lean steak entrées, a BBQ Sirloin and Cheddar deli-sliced carver sandwich and a Sirloin Dip carver sandwich at 630 locations across the United States.

The sirloin meals made their national debut in June, as a joint promotion between the Beef Checkoff Program and Boston Market. The partnership was initiated on behalf of the Cattlemen's Beef Board and state beef councils by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA). The NCBA serves as one of the Beef Board's contractors for checkoff-funded programs.

The top sirloin steak entrees mark a breakthrough in the fast-casual segment of the restaurant industry, and will appeal to customers both in terms of taste and nutrition. The USDA Choice top sirloin meat is aged 21 days and hand-carved to optimize tenderness. Naturally dense in nutrients, these entrées are an excellent source of protein, zinc, selenium and vitamin B-12, as well as a good source of iron, riboflavin and vitamin B-6. Yet the 5-ounce steak contains only 275 calories and 10 grams of fat, while the 8-ounce steak contains just 445 calories and 16 grams of fat.

"There's nothing like a great steak, and the Beef Checkoff Program is extremely excited to team with Boston Market for this promotion," said Sid Sumner, a Florida cattle producer and chair of the beef industry's Joint Foodservice Committee. "We are confident this will be another successful foodservice partnership, and these partnerships have proven to be a great way to promote beef with a small investment of checkoff dollars."

During the past three years, the Beef Checkoff Program has allocated $1.4 million to partnerships with foodservice providers, while the restaurant partners have invested $95.7 million in these programs.

"For every checkoff dollar invested in these partnerships, foodservice providers have put up $68," said Cattlemen's Beef Board Chairman Al Svajgr, a beef producer from Cozad, Neb. "Beef producers are capitalizing on the visibility and popularity of restaurant partners like Boston Market and getting a great return on their checkoff dollar."

Boston Market's top executive was also enthusiastic about the new items and the quality and variety they add to the Boston Market menu.

"We married our rich heritage of rotisserie cooking and roasted meats to create a truly craveable selection of sirloin options that enhance the taste and variety on our menu," said Michael Andres, president and chief executive officer, Boston Market. "We did our homework to make sure we're introducing the right quality options at the right time at the right price for our customers. Based on outstanding consumer reaction during early product trials, we're anticipating a very successful launch for our lean steak entrees and unique sandwiches."

As part of its sirloin launch plans, Boston Market will team with state beef councils to distribute more than 700,000 coupons for its new meals at blood drives. Consuming an iron-rich diet is necessary to build healthy red blood cells, both before and after donating blood. The University of Maryland Medical Center says that foods containing heme iron are best for maintaining healthy iron levels, and it recommends beef as a good source of heme iron.

Oldtimer said:
NCBA must be feeling pretty cocky after the Supreme Court ruling- again putting the message out that all this work is being done by the NCBA- I don't want my dollar used to advertise NCBA or that it is their decision on what to promote as my "government speach"... This is what could lose them the next court appeal-- and I'm a backer of the checkoff... I just don't want it used to advertise NCBA......

MRJ- This is more of what I saw in my area for years-- Checkoff bucks to promote NCBA :cry: :mad: I thought you told me that the Checkoff is "independent" from NCBA-- If you are right (which I know you aren't) somebody forgot to tell the NCBA leadership :wink: .....

{OT, according to your own words, "If you are right (which I know you aren't)" I'm wasting my time on you. However, there may be people whom you are leading astray, so for them I will answer with the TRUTH. Truth apparently is something quite foreign to you!

1. Government speech: Our government wants the cattle/beef industry to be successful for all participants, so passed the Act and Order creating the Beef Checkoff which was also affirmed by a nearly 80% margin of producers, which mandates that cattle producers run the Checkoff with government oversight to assure the law is followed, that the "speech" created for the checkoff is accurate.

2. You conveniently ignore the fact that one division of NCBA is not the membership organization, but actually is comprised of the MANY cattle organizations in all the states, the Federation of State Beef Councils. Further, you apparently ignore the fact that the membership organization, the Policy/Dues division of NCBA is one of the organizations which contracts with the CBB to achieve the work of the Beef Checkoff. YOu ignore the fact that the CBB directors are peer nominated cattle producers from any cattle organizations in the nation and that CBB runs the national half of the Beef Checkoff. NCBA does not.

3. I'm sorry that, despite your claims to like the Beef Checkoff, you do not seem to realize (nor want to admit!) it is the contractors who have carried out the work outlined by the cattle producers from virtually ALL cattlemen organizations. You seem to resent the fact that NCBA Policy/Dues division is a major contractor in that successful effort. Do you believe it should be a secret as to who does that contractual work? Openness MUST prevail for the success of this checkoff! MRJ}
-----------------------------------------------------
6/23/2005 3:10:00 PM

NCBA Update: Beef Checkoff Teams with Boston Market to Feature Top Sirloin Meals

DENVER (June 23, 2005) – The Beef Checkoff Program is partnering with Boston Market to introduce new roasted top sirloin meals. The restaurant chain, previously best-known for its rotisserie chicken, is introducing 5-ounce and 8-ounce lean steak entrées, a BBQ Sirloin and Cheddar deli-sliced carver sandwich and a Sirloin Dip carver sandwich at 630 locations across the United States.

The sirloin meals made their national debut in June, as a joint promotion between the Beef Checkoff Program and Boston Market. The partnership was initiated on behalf of the Cattlemen's Beef Board and state beef councils by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA). The NCBA serves as one of the Beef Board's contractors for checkoff-funded programs. ***************************************mrj

The top sirloin steak entrees mark a breakthrough in the fast-casual segment of the restaurant industry, and will appeal to customers both in terms of taste and nutrition. The USDA Choice top sirloin meat is aged 21 days and hand-carved to optimize tenderness. Naturally dense in nutrients, these entrées are an excellent source of protein, zinc, selenium and vitamin B-12, as well as a good source of iron, riboflavin and vitamin B-6. Yet the 5-ounce steak contains only 275 calories and 10 grams of fat, while the 8-ounce steak contains just 445 calories and 16 grams of fat.

{OT, what is your REAL problem with NCBA and the Beef Checkoff? Or are you just following the LMA lead in trying to punish NCBA for existing?}

"There's nothing like a great steak, and the Beef Checkoff Program is extremely excited to team with Boston Market for this promotion," said Sid Sumner, a Florida cattle producer and chair of the beef industry's Joint Foodservice Committee. "We are confident this will be another successful foodservice partnership, and these partnerships have proven to be a great way to promote beef with a small investment of checkoff dollars."

During the past three years, the Beef Checkoff Program has allocated $1.4 million to partnerships with foodservice providers, while the restaurant partners have invested $95.7 million in these programs.
{Please take note of the small ratio of checkoff $$ to "corporate" $$ NCBA was able to generate for this project, as well as the successes of the project. And there have been MANY such, with NCBA Policy/Dues division working hard for the good of the entire spectrum of cattle organizations, not just for the benefit of NCBA. The small amount of favorable publicity generated for the organization is intangible and not of measureable benefit for that organization, IMO. mrj}

"For every checkoff dollar invested in these partnerships, foodservice providers have put up $68," said Cattlemen's Beef Board Chairman Al Svajgr, a beef producer from Cozad, Neb. "Beef producers are capitalizing on the visibility and popularity of restaurant partners like Boston Market and getting a great return on their checkoff dollar."

Boston Market's top executive was also enthusiastic about the new items and the quality and variety they add to the Boston Market menu.

"We married our rich heritage of rotisserie cooking and roasted meats to create a truly craveable selection of sirloin options that enhance the taste and variety on our menu," said Michael Andres, president and chief executive officer, Boston Market. "We did our homework to make sure we're introducing the right quality options at the right time at the right price for our customers. Based on outstanding consumer reaction during
early product trials, we're anticipating a very successful launch for our
{**************************
lean steak entrees and unique sandwiches."
********************************* Please don't try to tell us it will harm producers to sell more beef, OT!!! mrj}

As part of its sirloin launch plans, Boston Market will team with state beef councils to distribute more than 700,000 coupons for its new meals at blood drives. Consuming an iron-rich diet is necessary to build healthy red blood cells, both before and after donating blood. The University of Maryland Medical Center says that foods containing heme iron are best for maintaining healthy iron levels, and it recommends beef as a good source of heme iron.

MRJ- If you don't see it I can't show you-- Its taking government tax dollars (mandated checkoff payments) to advertise a political lobbying group (NCBA) that not only endorses political party interests and policies, but outright endorse and donate funds to political candidates....That is wrong...

If they want to say it was funded and/or intitiated by the checkoff, or Cattlemans Beef Board, or the Beef Council that is fine- but not by NCBA, unless NCBA is really in control of all that checkoff money :? ... Is that the case MRJ :???: I don't want my checkoff dollars tied to advertising NCBA......Any group that supports the USDA and Packers in defrauding and lying to the US consumers is not a group I want growing because they used my money to advertise.....

This is exactly what the justices suggested could overturn the checkoff.....

Oltimer I know of one state beef council that has sent some of their excess checkoff dollars directly to the NCBA. So checkoff dollars do fund the NCBA.
I am with, you why does NCBA take credit for things that the Checkoff pays for?

Tommy said:
Oltimer I know of one state beef council that has sent some of their excess checkoff dollars directly to the NCBA. So checkoff dollars do fund the NCBA.

Do you know what the NCBA does with that money? Your appear to be implying they use it for their own purposes. What proof do you have of that action?

Tommy said:

{Tommy, are you VERY, VERY sure that money went to the Policy/Dues division of NCBA, or did it go to the Federation of State Beef Councils division? There is a HUGE difference!

I know you hate the fact that NCBA Policy Division has such a successful record of doing the contractual work for the CBB, but please admit that we have a right to know who is doing that work. NCBA is an excellent hired hand doing that work and well deserves the recognition and credit.

MRJ}

Oldtimer said:
MRJ- If you don't see it I can't show you-- Its taking government tax dollars (mandated checkoff payments) to advertise a political lobbying group (NCBA) that not only endorses political party interests and policies, but outright endorse and donate funds to political candidates....That is wrong...

{OT you are WRONG! The Policy/Dues division makes NO PROFIT on contract work for the CBB. What do you fail to understand about that? It means that there is no way NCBA can even be able to use checkoff money to "donate funds" as you claim, to ANY cause because there is NO MONEY LEFT AFTER THE COSTS OF DOING THE WORK OF THE CINTRACT ARE PAID! All Checkoff funded contract work is on a cost recovery only basis. Why will you fail to admit this is true? MRJ}

If they want to say it was funded and/or intitiated by the checkoff, or Cattlemans Beef Board, or the Beef Council that is fine- but not by NCBA, unless NCBA is really in control of all that checkoff money :?

{Surely you know better than that! Doubtless you would like it hidden that NCBA does that great work. Would you feel better if the tag line said "this project is the result of work accomplished by the NCBA under contract with the CBB on a cost recovery only basis"? Maybe that is how it should be MRJ}...

Is that the case MRJ :???: I don't want my checkoff dollars tied to advertising NCBA....

{You know what, OT, I wish you did not have to benefit from the work for the Checkoff done by NCBA. MRJ}

..Any group that supports the USDA and Packers in defrauding and lying to the US consumers is not a group I want growing because they used my money to advertise.....

{Until you show proof of such a charge, why shouldn't we regard you as an outright liar? MRJ}

This is exactly what the justices suggested could overturn the checkoff.....

{What were their exact words that lead you to that assumption? MRJ}

BTW, maybe I did not make it crystal clear that the NCBA Policy/Dues division is NOT the contracting group. It is the Federation of State Beef Councils division. There is financial separation of the two divisions. The CBB has no connection to NCBA's policy/dues division, not to any of its state cattlemen's association affiliates.

As the Federation of State Beef Councils, then, NCBA does have connection to the checkoff--but the ROLES of the CBB and the Federation division certainly are separate.

Also remember: the members of the Federation of State Beef Councils and of CBB do not have to be NCBA members, and many of them are not. THey may and do come from virtually any state cattlemens organizations in the nation.

MRJ

Latest posts