• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NCBA tells it like it is

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill

Reaction score
NCBA Statement on Hearing of U.S. Court of Appeals Case
"Science Deserves it Day in Court"

Jim McAdams
Adkins, Texas cattle producer and President, NCBA

July 12, 2005

"Since NCBA filed an amicus brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, some have questioned the intent of NCBA, the American Farm Bureau Federation and the 29 state cattle organizations that jointly signed this brief. These questions and criticism have come despite us making our intent crystal clear the day we filed the brief, April 21, 2005.

"So let us restate our intent with complete clarity: We have filed this brief to ensure the safety of beef has its day in court. We call on the people who have repeatedly attacked the safety of our product in the media and to producers directly to stop. Their efforts are slanderous and misleading to the industry they profess to serve.

"The science that says beef is safe from BSE was not represented in the decision issued by the district court in Montana. The judge's conclusion that this rule 'presents a genuine risk of death for U.S. consumers' is simply not based on science.

"We will not let statements that question the safety of beef and the safety of our consumers go unchallenged. We will not let statements like the one above jeopardize consumer confidence in our beef supply, when consumers have every reason to believe in its safety.

"BSE experts from around the world, including those from the World Organization for Animal Health, agree that BSE is not a public health or herd health risk when key firewalls are in place to protect consumers and cattle, even when a low incidence of BSE is found within a country's borders. The United States cattle and beef industries have these firewalls in place, as does Canada.

"That is why the announcement of a second BSE case, this time domestic, has nothing to do with the safety of beef or the health of our animal herd.

"We remove from the food supply materials that would most likely carry the BSE agent. This process happens every day with every animal to ensure this diminishing disease has no affect on public health.

"Likewise, to protect our cattle herds, we have a feed ban with an extremely high level of compliance. U.S. cattlemen through the NCBA pushed for the feed ban back in 1996, and it became law in 1997. The feed ban prohibits feeding ruminant-derived protein to cattle. BSE is not contagious; the disease is only known to spread through feed, so the feed ban breaks the cycle and helps assure the disease will be eliminated.

"Through the enhanced BSE Surveillance Program, we have now tested more than 400,000 cattle for this disease, and we have found only one positive case, in a 12-year-old cow born before the feed ban. This confirms our firewalls are working and the prevalence of this disease in the United States is extremely low.

"The only way we can create profit opportunities for cattlemen in the global marketplace, where 96 percent of the world's population lives, is to trade based on sound science, the same science that says beef is safe from BSE. Global demand for the high-quality beef U.S. cattlemen produce is what will grow our industry and ensure a future for the next generation of cattlemen."

Global demand for the high-quality beef U.S. cattlemen produce is what will grow our industry and ensure a future for the next generation of cattlemen."

How do foreign customers know they are getting "high quality US beef" when they purchase meat? If they don't know they are getting US beef, how can there be a demand for USBEEF?

Who CARES at Walmart ? Falling prices need cheap BEEF
http://www.foodsystemsinsider.com/articles/0507/0507walmartway.htm

How do foreign customers know they are getting "high quality US beef" when they purchase meat? THEY already Have COOL

If they don't know they are getting US beef, how can there be a demand for US BEEF? Good QUESTION ????????????

Quote:
From NCBA Pres Jim McAdam's letter: "Global demand for the high-quality beef U.S. cattlemen produce is what will grow our industry and ensure a future for the next generation of cattlemen."

From the Chief: "How do foreign customers know they are getting "high quality US beef" when they purchase meat? If they don't know they are getting US beef, how can there be a demand for USBEEF?"

Ya know Chief, the Beatles recorded "Twist and Shout" in 1964. They ended several of their concerts with this song. I see you're following in their footsteps.

Reread the quote from McAdams. There's not one word that's disagreeable there. The McAdams letter doesn't address COOL, nor can you plow COOL into his message. Interpret his message for what it is.......he feels passionately that when the integrity of our product is attached, his organization must respond.

Beefman.

Chief: "How do foreign customers know they are getting "high quality US beef" when they purchase meat? If they don't know they are getting US beef, how can there be a demand for USBEEF?"

GOSH, AH LET ME SEE??????????????

They imported it from the U.S.????????????
It had a USDA inspection stamp on it???????????
It was labeled as required by "TRADE" law?????????????

COULD THAT HAVE GIVEN THEM A CLUE?????

Perhaps their beef is grass fed and this was "HEAVILY MARBLED" could that have been another clue??????

Oh, silly me, you are confusing foreign trade labeling laws with that ridiculous flawed domestic "M"COOL law that exempts 75% of the imported beef, gives a novelty advantage to labeled foreign beef (5% of our U.S. beef consumption), adds expense to the industry due to segregation of imported carcasses that will be passed on to producers in the form of lower cattle prices, and prohibits the means to enforce it weren't you?

That's what I thought!

~SH~

the chief said:
Global demand for the high-quality beef U.S. cattlemen produce is what will grow our industry and ensure a future for the next generation of cattlemen."

How do foreign customers know they are getting "high quality US beef" when they purchase meat? If they don't know they are getting US beef, how can there be a demand for USBEEF?

Most other countries have COOL laws. We can't seem to get ours funded because the big packers are afraid US consumers might actually begin to prefer US beef and all thier plans and investment on bringing in unlabeled product from all over the world will be for naught. They will give you stories of huge expenses when all a person has to do is look at the seafood laws that are being enforced to see they are fear mongering.

What also helps sell US beef in foreign coutries is that the advertising the checkoff funds, and NCBA supports, specifically promotes US beef, and US beef only. For some reason, they feel that is advantagous in other countries, but not over here. :roll:

Test it all and label it all, with country of origin labeling. Oh excuse me, I jus thought up a nice acronym---COOL.

~SH GOSH said:
COULD BE CANADIAN BEEF[/b]

It had a USDA inspection stamp on it??????????? COULD BE CANADIAN BEEF

It was labeled as required by "TRADE" law????????????? COULD BE CANADIAN BEEF

Perhaps their beef is grass fed and this was "HEAVILY MARBLED" could that have been another clue?????? COULD BE CANADIAN BEEF

That's what I thought! CANADIAN BEEF ISN'T LABELED WHEN IT REACHES THE USA

~SH~

RobertMac said:
~SH GOSH said:
COULD BE CANADIAN BEEF[/b]

It had a USDA inspection stamp on it??????????? COULD BE CANADIAN BEEF

It was labeled as required by "TRADE" law????????????? COULD BE CANADIAN BEEF

That's what I thought! CANADIAN BEEF ISN'T LABELED WHEN IT REACHES THE USA

Perhaps their beef is grass fed and this was "HEAVILY MARBLED" could that have been another clue?????? COULD BE CANADIAN BEEF

~SH~

Excellent analysis, Robert Mac.
You know, I like the song "Honesty" instead of "Twist and Shout." :wink:

RM, are you very sure the Canadian beef is not labeled when it arrives in the USA?

All who want COOL: why do you want a law that exempts so much of the imported beef from labeling?

Why do you want a law that PREVENTS producer of origin of USA beef on the label?

Why do you want a law that punishes packers with heavy fines for not reporting the origin of the beef they buy from US producers who are EXEMPTED from providing that information? Oooops, I forgot, you hate packers and WANT to punish them with your COOL law!

Obviously, you also want to punish good cattle producers who are in branded beef programs by having the government take their value added effort away from them by mandating ALL beef carry that value added origin label. With the exception, of course, of true M-ID of those US producers of commodity beef. RM, I would think you, of all people, would see through this sham of a law.

MRJ

MRJ said:
RM, are you very sure the Canadian beef is not labeled when it arrives in the USA?

All who want COOL: why do you want a law that exempts so much of the imported beef from labeling?

Why do you want a law that PREVENTS producer of origin of USA beef on the label?

Why do you want a law that punishes packers with heavy fines for not reporting the origin of the beef they buy from US producers who are EXEMPTED from providing that information? Oooops, I forgot, you hate packers and WANT to punish them with your COOL law!

Obviously, you also want to punish good cattle producers who are in branded beef programs by having the government take their value added effort away from them by mandating ALL beef carry that value added origin label. With the exception, of course, of true M-ID of those US producers of commodity beef. RM, I would think you, of all people, would see through this sham of a law.

MRJ

Producers are not exempt from Identification in COOL. In fact here are some recommendations for ID from the USDA:
(And all others in the chain of supply)

http://www.ams.usda.gov/cool/coolbeef.pdf

MRJ: "RM, are you very sure the Canadian beef is not labeled when it arrives in the USA?"

You got me there...Canadian beef IS labeled when it comes in country...the label is changed before it gets to the consumer. I stand corrected! :cry:

This law isn't set in stone, I'm amendable to changes...I just want food honestly labeled to the consumer by the country it comes from.

Hey Chief and RM,

I'll make you a deal. If you change the retarded "M"COOL law to include traceback for enforcement, insist on labeling Canadian beef with a bright red maple leaf label, and then track the sales of Canadian beef as compared to the sales of U.S. commodity beef and report them accurately, I'll stop fighting against your flawed law.

I'd be willing to absorb the costs of carcass segregation for the value of traceback and the value of watching Maple Leaf Beef introduce you to your ignorance on consumer loyalty to U.S. products.

If I have to go along with your ignorance on this law the least you can do is allow yourselves to be held accountable for your stupidity regarding this law.

Consumer: "Let's see, should I chose the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, the U.S. beef, .......................ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz(95% of the counter space) or this package of Maple Leaf Beef? Hmmmmm? Same price? Why not?"

Seeing you isolationists introduced to your own ignorance on isolating Canadian beef as a novelty item in the U.S. would be the only value from "M"COOL.

~SH~

Why is it that producers that argue so strongly for COOL to segregate non-US product are so scared of it being used to trace product back to their own ranches? What are they hiding?
I do agree that I would like to see Canadian beef labled as such on US store shelves. Canada is known for providing top quality product. Of course the red-necks would insist on buying only US beef, but joe consumer would likely buy the Canadian product.

DEAL :D :D :D

traceback for enforcement...can you say, "Homeland Security"???? sure you can :eek:

labeling Canadian beef with a bright red maple leaf...all I ever wanted(of course with all other imports and on ALL foods) :)

track the sales of Canadian beef as compared to the sales of U.S. commodity beef...let the informed market decide :D

And let's not forget...do away with ALL exemptions :eek:

RobertMac said:

traceback for enforcement...can you say, "Homeland Security"???? sure you can :eek:

labeling Canadian beef with a bright red maple leaf...all I ever wanted(of course with all other imports and on ALL foods) :)

track the sales of Canadian beef as compared to the sales of U.S. commodity beef...let the informed market decide :D

I'll shake on this deal as well if you also tweak the checkoff so their marketing efforts promote US beef only.

There's only one problem I see with this deal and that's that I don't trust R-CULT or their followers not to take out ads that lie about the safety of Canadian beef. On an equal playing field, Canadian beef would have absolutely no problem competing with our best let alone those Louisiana "swampers".

~SH~

RobertMac said:
MRJ: "RM, are you very sure the Canadian beef is not labeled when it arrives in the USA?"

You got me there...Canadian beef IS labeled when it comes in country...the label is changed before it gets to the consumer. I stand corrected! :cry:

This law isn't set in stone, I'm amendable to changes...I just want food honestly labeled to the consumer by the country it comes from.

{And I just want food honestly labeled as to SOURCE, including USA produced beef. as it currently can be, and in many cases is via our VOLUNTARY branded beef businesses. Let the consumer and the marketplace, NOT the government, mandate this label! MRJ}

Sandhusker said:
RobertMac said:

I'll shake on this deal as well if you also tweak the checkoff so their marketing efforts promote US beef only.

Sandhusker, how loudly would you be squealing if the importers did not have to pay the Beef Checkoff and you did have to pay?

Don't forget that the dollar for every animal equivalent in pounds of beef help pay for far more than just advertising. IMO, many of the research projects and partner beef promotion deals such as the current on with Boston Market are far more valuable even than the advertising, in the long runl

Did you know about this Boston Market deal? They partnered with the beef checkoff, using a huge bundle of their dollars along with some checkoff $$$$ and are introducing quite a line-up of sirloin entre`s into their restaurants. It is selling a lot of beef in a restaurant that wasn't known as a place to eat beef. MRJ

RobertMac, what are the exemptions you refer to?

MRJ

MRJ: "RobertMac, what are the exemptions you refer to?"

Food service, further processed,...I want the consumer to where all their food comes from...this is not a beef only issue with me. I COOL the beef I sell and I don't see the perceived negative impact because all beef will be labeled. Let the consumer decide, but it needs to be mandated that the consumer has the information to make an informed decision. If I have to have my label approved in Washington to have 'grassfed' on it, then importers should be required to have country of origin on their product. It's truth in labeling...and I know you and SH can't be against the TRUTH!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts