• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NCBA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that since Chandler Keys left that NCBA is starting to come around, that and losing members? SH hasn't called NCBA a liar for saying "There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease,"

Why don't you be more specific Rancher?

What do you mean "coming around"???

NCBA isn't lying about the safety of Canadian beef.

NCBA isn't "bwaming packahs" with no proof of the allegations.

NCBA isn't supporting your flawed "M"COOL law that exempts 75% of the imports and prohibits the means to enforce it.

NCBA isn't supporting the communist packer ban.

Could you be more specific?

~SH~

"There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease,"

rancher said:
"There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease,"

There are some Canadians that have certainly taken exception to that NCBA comment but most are not surprised. Some of us were pleased to read that statement as it finally forced CCA to admit that NCBA is not the sister org they were leading us to believe.

Quote: "There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease,"

Before I would judge that statement, I would ask for specifics. What did they mean by "all that we've done"???

On the surface, that statement appears arrogant but I also don't trust any R-CALFer to report NCBA quotes within the context they were intended.

~SH~

rancher wrote:

i'd like to be enlightened on the measures taken by the usa that canada hasn't taken. not trying to be smart but we are always talking traceback, testing per centages, 4d's. where has usda gone the extra mile?

SH, will post again just for you, it was a NCBA release

NCBA Pushes For "Provisionally Free" BSE Status
The National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) is urging USDA to seek the "Provisionally Free" designation for the U.S. from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). NCBA says such a designation "will provide additional assurance to our trading partners that U.S. cattle and beef are safe from BSE."

In a letter sent Wednesday to USDA Secretary Mike Johanns, NCBA says the designation is consistent with OIE's 2004 Terrestrial Animal Health Code because the U.S. meets all criteria. The letter says the trade disruption has amounted to U.S. cattle losses of more than $175/head and exceeding $4.5 billion in cumulative income losses.

NCBA points out the two decades of work in analyzing the risks of BSE and instituting firewalls dating back to 1989. Among these are surveillance programs that exceed OIE requirements, says Gary Weber, NCBA's executive director of regulatory affairs.

"There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease," the letter says.
-- NCBA news release

NCBA:"There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease," the letter says."

That's one of those statements that we all know is a lie yet so ridiculous that no one will even address it.

Those kind of statements are called "Falsehoods". :roll:

SH for one that says he does his homework you sure don't keep up on your org. Here it is from the horse's mouth.
:? :? :shock: :shock:
http://hill.beef.org/ncba/view.asp?DocumentID=14716 :?

rancher said:
SH, will post again just for you, it was a NCBA release

NCBA Pushes For "Provisionally Free" BSE Status
The National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) is urging USDA to seek the "Provisionally Free" designation for the U.S. from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). NCBA says such a designation "will provide additional assurance to our trading partners that U.S. cattle and beef are safe from BSE."

In a letter sent Wednesday to USDA Secretary Mike Johanns, NCBA says the designation is consistent with OIE's 2004 Terrestrial Animal Health Code because the U.S. meets all criteria. The letter says the trade disruption has amounted to U.S. cattle losses of more than $175/head and exceeding $4.5 billion in cumulative income losses.

NCBA points out the two decades of work in analyzing the risks of BSE and instituting firewalls dating back to 1989. Among these are surveillance programs that exceed OIE requirements, says Gary Weber, NCBA's executive director of regulatory affairs.

"There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease," the letter says.
-- NCBA news release

Thanks rancher that's exactly the same as the one I saw and I sure as hell am no R-calfer. As I wrote above, now at least NCBAs true thoughts are out in the open.

"it illustrates even more profoundly why one imported cow with BSE should not have affected our BSE status or our international trade status. "

That was NCBA talking present, the flop part, the flip part was we are a North American Beef Industry, the other countries know we have Canadian cattle in our herd and will not treat us different. Boy, members spoke and the leaders had to follow.

NCBA President Jan Lyons expected debate on a staff directive that supplements an existing policy supporting normalization of cattle and meat trade with Canada. It didn't happen. Several state delegations traded what one NCBA staff member said were up to 25 drafts of the short-term policy.

"I do believe there has been a lot of discussion on this," Lyons said in an interview after the directive flew through a directors' meeting the morning of Feb. 6.

The directive tells NCBA's lobbying staff to push the U.S. government to seek resumption of beef export trade with Japan and South Korea, and restoration of pre-BSE beef export rules in Mexico before NCBA supports normalization of Canadian trade.

Observers said the NCBA stance is similar to R-CALF policy passed three weeks ago in a Denver convention. The marked difference is that R-CALF is in federal court asking a judge to invalidate the USDA rule. NCBA will make its points through lobbying the Bush administration and members of Congress.

Another Quote from NCBA

U.S. cattlemen lost $15/cwt ($175/head) on fed cattle prices when our export markets closed as a result of the U.S. December 23, 2003, BSE discovery. U.S. cattlemen deserve to get that $15/cwt back. We have done everything right in the United States to produce safe and wholesome beef for world consumption.

~SH~ said:
Quote: "There is no country in the world that has done all that we've done to prevent this disease,"

"Before I would judge that statement, I would ask for specifics. What did they mean by "all that we've done"???

On the surface, that statement appears arrogant but I also don't trust any R-CALFer to report NCBA quotes within the context they were intended.

~SH~

SH, "Before I would judge that statement, I would ask for specifics. What did they mean by "all that we've done"???"

I actually laughed out loud when I read that! :D :D

Do you "ask for specifics" before you judge R-CALF's statements?

I usually try to refrain from calling names, but what a flaming hypocrite! :D :D :D

Lord, that's funny!

Just one item missing from their argument. One very large item.

That is the literally millions of Canadian cattle in your national herd. The same Canadian cattle that have been labelled as tainted and diseased by American self-interest groups.

Have they all just vanished? NO
Have they all been identified? NO
Can they be identified? NO
Are they being scrutinized at slaughter or natural death to the extent that cattle in Canada are? NO
Does the OIE know this? YES

:roll:

While SH is trying to defend the NCBA, maybe he or any other NCBA member would like to comment on what Creekstone has to say,

"Fielding says he went back to NCBA's charter and found that among their guiding principles are free enterprise, limited government and consumer focus. "

How does supporting USDA's denial of Creekstone's proposal match these guiding principles?

Kato said:
Just one item missing from their argument. One very large item.

That is the literally millions of Canadian cattle in your national herd. The same Canadian cattle that have been labelled as tainted and diseased by American self-interest groups.

Have they all just vanished? NO
Have they all been identified? NO
Can they be identified? NO
Are they being scrutinized at slaughter or natural death to the extent that cattle in Canada are? NO
Does the OIE know this? YES

:roll:

Kato- There are still some Canadian cattle in the US- but many of the imports were dairy or bulls that have probably already gone thru the system-already used up--- That said it is possible both countries have BSE- but to what extent? The US has somewhere around 90-95% of the cattle in North America- but we have found no cattle of US origin... Canada has 5% of the cattle in North America and have been traced to 4---To me, that makes the risk factor of Canadian cattle much higher-- I think the statisticians say it is 1000% more likely that Canada still has BSE cows than the US....

How hard have you looked? The rest of the world is thinking "Not too hard".

That is a problem, not just due to the number of Canadian cattle in your herd, but due to the same history of importing British cattle, and feeding practices that we both used before the feed bans came in place. A lot of people are of the opinion that it's just a matter of time..

While I agree with you totally, Hat, I just have to ask...
Are you 'bruskers' little brother by any chance. Same attitude but without the evolved brashness of the boy we used to love. Just curious, nobody's picking a fight...
well, at least I'm not, have a good day all!

SH (previous): "Before I would judge that statement, I would ask for specifics. What did they mean by "all that we've done"???"

Sandhusker (in response): " I actually laughed out loud when I read that!"

Well good for you. I am sure it is beyond your grasp to comprehend qualifying a statement from a credible source such as Gary Weber. For all I know that statement may have been taken out of context by the author.

As I said before, that statement, if actually stated, appears quite bold when considering all that Canada has done to address BSE with their traceback system and testing of 4-D cattle.

I would allow Gary Weber to at least qualify his statement. He has far more integrity than to lie about the safety of Canadian beef the way R-CULT does.

Sandhusker: "Do you "ask for specifics" before you judge R-CALF's statements?"

Depends on the statement. Like you say, they are usually presenting the half of the story that supports their bias. Either that or they are flat lying or contradicting what they said yesterday.

Sandhusker: " usually try to refrain from calling names, but what a flaming hypocrite!"

I know you need something like an NCBA quote now and then to take the focus off R-CULT's lies about the safety of Canadian beef. I understand. If I was an R-CULT turbin head that couldn't think for myself and had no integrity, I'd probably do the same thing.

OT: "There are still some Canadian cattle in the US- but many of the imports were dairy or bulls that have probably already gone thru the system-already used up--- That said it is possible both countries have BSE- but to what extent?"

If it wasn't an issue, R-CULT would have never demanded that USDA find the Canadian cattle in our system and test them. Too late to change the significance now OT!

OT: "The US has somewhere around 90-95% of the cattle in North America- but we have found no cattle of US origin... Canada has 5% of the cattle in North America and have been traced to 4---To me, that makes the risk factor of Canadian cattle much higher-- I think the statisticians say it is 1000% more likely that Canada still has BSE cows than the US...."

Canada has also looked harder than we have by heavily testing the highest risk categories. This is just how you justify knifing the Canadian producers in the back.

OT: "How does supporting USDA's denial of Creekstone's proposal match these guiding principles?"

It stops at the point of deceiving consumers into believing 100% testing offers safer beef.

It stops at setting a presidence that 100% testing is justified.

Quote: "The directive tells NCBA's lobbying staff to push the U.S. government to seek resumption of beef export trade with Japan and South Korea, and restoration of pre-BSE beef export rules in Mexico before NCBA supports normalization of Canadian trade."

I disagree with that NCBA directive. In order to normalize trade, we have to take the first step. We cannot expect Japan to take our beef if we are unwilling to take Canadian cattle but are willing to take their beef.

Unlike these R-CULTers, I can think independent of my chosen organization. I also disagree with their position on limiting the USDA grade stamp to domestic production only without a valid traceback system to confirm it.

~SH~

Latest posts