• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Neat Find!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
We insulated the ceiling of our old house today so I had to clean the attic out-found a whole bunch of old boxes-talk about family history-full of pictures from the late 1800's of relatives in Scotland. Lots of orriginal documents-homestead claims etc-several years of our local newspaper-diesel was 22 cents a gallon the week I was born. There are hundred of letters from the first and second world wars from my Dad and uncles when they were fighting. Some pretty sad stuff in some of them as my Grandmother's sisters and brothers passed away back overseas. Also years and years of the ranches tax records-the cost of things has gone up lol.

Still reading away here-our little town probably 2500 people in 1961-had 13,500 paid admissions to our rodeo and chuckwagon races that year. The old place used to rock that week lol.

My dad tells a story about going to the rodeo your talking about, in the mid-sixties. He had a horse that would jump into the back of his half-ton, put her neck over the roof and brace herself for the ride. He went up there with her (90 miles) with no stock-racks on the truck, roped in the rodeo, and he said the horse was mad all the way home 'cause he missed his calf!

Yeah that's kind off a lost art horses who'd load into a halfton by jumping in-makes those ones who won't step in a trailer look kinda stupid lol. My neighbors had an old Percheron mare you could skid a moose out with then she'd jump up into the truck box with it lol. That's still a landmark 'Nelly's Hill' she pulled an American hunter's jeep up it lol.

Latest posts