• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nebraska Deer season tomorrow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
All you guys and gals in Nebraska be careful tomorrow! Its opening day of stupid season. I already have 15 hunters in and think there could be up to 6 more. Have all the critters locked up, and lots of orange on the horses.

Yup, as much as I love to hunt, I hate rifle deer season. In a week it will be alot calmer.

It's deer season 24/7/365 when your weapon of choice is a Big Tex grille guard! :mad: :mad:

The wife just about had delivery for supper when I was driving home the other night! :mad: :mad:

Deer season has been open for almost 3 weeks here with 2 more to go. Antelope season is over. We've been dealing with hunters since the first of September when bow season opened. By the time it's over about 140 hunters will have signed in to hunt here if it totals up like the past years.

Sounded like a war zone here today. National Forest joins our back fence. :roll:

Lil Lilly "hit" a deer.......
In her "new" Dodge truck!!!!!

Ok here's the story we got when she come flyin in the front door last night.

She was on the last road home before turnin on to our road. When she seen this deer standin in the road. She slowed down....to a stop. The deer was right in front of the truck! She said she honked the horn.....even flashed the lights. The deer wouldn't move! So she decided to just ease forward, and maybe it'd move on outta the way. Course the look on her face was priceless while she's tellin us all this. Ok..she's movin forward.....and she said...."The deer just threw itself down under the right front tire!!!! Yeap.....bluuuuummppppppp. She ran over it! Doin 5 mph. She stopped, and sat there stunned and non believin.....then decided to back up. Now she's kicked into roadkill mode and if it's still layin there, she's thinkin Load it up hahahaha. Well apparently it didn't kill it, because it was up and gone by the time she got backed up to look. I wouldn't think it'd make it too long...bein run over by a Dodge truck, the front ends the heavy part.

But her face....and her tone....."I ran over a deer doin 5!" was priceless....

even at 5 mph, i'm suprised the dodge survived :p i hit one about a couple years ago going...well, more than 5mph..anyways, messed up the front end pretty good. so i had the body shop put on one of those big heavy duty black bumper/grill guards. now when i see a deer up ahead, i don't even turn the cruise off 8) :wink:

Justin said:
so i had the body shop put on one of those big heavy duty black bumper/grill guards. now when i see a deer up ahead, i don't even turn the cruise off 8) :wink:

I've got them on my pickups too but I hit one on the front corner and got dent in the door and it broke the mirror along with bending the front of the toolbox on the flatbed. The mirror was almost $300 to fix. :(

We've just recently found a ranchhand bumper for it. Not the add on, but the one where you completely remove all the existin bumper and replace it. Just haven't gotten it on the truck yet.

Got mine right off this morning just after daylight, had the cruise set at 62 with a load of hay pushing caught the cornor of the bumper and shoved it back, didn't lose any lights thank god, called the state patrol to come put him down as I did'nt have a gun with me, so now I get to straighten my bumper after I get done hauling hay.

Cedarcreek said:
Justin said:
so i had the body shop put on one of those big heavy duty black bumper/grill guards. now when i see a deer up ahead, i don't even turn the cruise off 8) :wink:

I've got them on my pickups too but I hit one on the front corner and got dent in the door and it broke the mirror along with bending the front of the toolbox on the flatbed. The mirror was almost $300 to fix. :(

Yep-- we don't take a pickup off the lot til its got the heavy duty grill guards on it....Saved us a lot again this year as Grandma is a little heavy footed and has mowed down a few (got a nice 5 point whitetail last week)....
My son did the same as you Cedarcreek and took one down the side-- little dent but wiped out the mirror....

I'm still trying to figure out how to fix one of those big heavy duty grill guards to fit my old 75 Olds 98....Probably triple the value of it.. :wink:

I hit a pregnat doe, or rather she hit me, between my headlight and front fender on my scooter back in May '02. Thank God it was a little Texas Whitetail and not a big ol' Western Elk or Muley. Score was: Me and Shovelhead-1, "Momma"-0 :shock: / :(

After the first day of deer hunting here in Nebraska, I would like to ask how everyone handles trespassing. I don't like to be hard to get along with, but have several deer hunters that can't seem to stay off private property. One piece of our ranch used for summer grazing is separated from the main ranch by 12 miles, and is roughly 9 sections in size. It is prime deer hunting land. We guided two hunts there today, but of course, can't be everywhere at once. I came upon two hunters on 4-wheelers and asked them to leave.(this has occurred 5 out of the last 8 deer seasons with these individuals) My questions are:

1. How do you handle trespassing?

2. Can trespassing charges be pressed without a picture as proof? Or is it just your word against theirs?

3. Is pressing charges worth it, or does it just 'stir the pot' on a problem that will always exist?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I realize there are far more important things in life to worry about, but it begins to get frustrating after awhile. These particular people always let me have a good cussing out about what a jerk I am, but I don't want to handle it in that way. I want to respectful, and yet firm. Thanks in advance.

1. i turn them in....i know some make honest mistakes, but who do you believe? as a hunter it is up to then to know where they are and where thier boundries are.

2. as far as i know, its you word against thiers...but most that are caught are going to try and come up with an excuse rather that denying where they were

3. :?

As Cedarcreek has said--- deer season here has been open for over 3 weeks now--- and I can look out my spotting scope every morning and see hundreds all day long- both mulies and whitetails.....Some are in areas closed to outfitters only- and others in my hay meadows (that are open to hunting) know that if they stay in the middle of them they are pretty protected (unless you are a green beret sniper that can make a stomach crawl- or they can get one on a 700- 1000 yard shot).....I watched a big old 5 point buck last year- all season long- that layed out about 700 yards from the house (or anything around him) on a dike in some weeds- and everytime someone put a "creep" on him he was gone into the safe "outfitter only" country....From what I hear nobody got him..

But as the rut is starting- I know they will get dumber and dumber- which gives me a couple weeks to see if one good enough runs in front of me....

Latest posts