• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nebraskans???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Soap- Sandhusker- all you Nebraskans...Did any of you buy a lottery Powerball ticket in Lincoln? If so do you need an adopted son :wink: - or somewhere to invest a few million? I have these plans for a hellacious horse areana and I'd donate the land to use :wink:

I heard there was one winning Powerball ticket sold in Lincoln- worth over 1/3 BILLION $---over $365 million...

Now Oldtimer I think they may need a adopted daughter too, I wouldnt mind splitting it with ya evenly. lmao;). I would just be happy with a dribble of it....ya know like the levins??lol a couple hundred thousand would put me right in life lmao. Anway, Congratulations, I hope they are VERY deserving and smart!!

Easty

A bumper sticker proclaims: "The Lottery is a tax on people who suck at math." Since there is undoubtedly something to that statement, I have so far managed to refrain from buying a ticket. :? :???: :wink:

Another old tried-and-true axiom is: "All is not Gold that glitters." If a person was to luck out and come in for a windfall of that magnitude, I am betting their troubles would just be commencing. Everyone would suddenly want to be their "friend"; that is, all except the old standby friends, who would be so jealous that they would no longer want to be a friend. It probably wouldn't be as delightful to win, as it would appear.

The sad thing is that I saw a poll lately where a large percentage of people put winning the lottery as a higher chance of them ever being able to retire-- over earned income, company or investment retirement accounts, and social security :???: .....

I listen to David Ramsey every chance I get. He is a financial guru and he treats his callers with so much kindness, patience and good old common sense. It is amazing the problems people get themselves into about money. "Spend today, tomorrow may never come" type of thinking. Credit cards maxed out, owe too much on their cars, houses, etc. Anyway, the topic one day was about winning money, the lottery, etc. Dave said if you get an unexpected windfall that pertains to a lot of money, it will magnify the person you are. If you are generous, you will become very generous, if you are miserly, you will become very miserly. If you are nasty, you will become very nasty. I didn't get to hear the whole of it, but this part was so interesting.

Money, while we all have to have some, sure doesn't buy happiness.

That last sentence is very true FH, I don't bother wasting my money on that stuff, just do my gambling in cattle business.

Dave said if you get an unexpected windfall that pertains to a lot of money, it will magnify the person you are. If you are generous, you will become very generous, if you are miserly, you will become very miserly. If you are nasty, you will become very nasty.

I would sure like to find out if I would become very generous, or very miserly, or very nasty. :wink:

I listen to Dave nearly every day, and am flabergasted at the amount of people earning over 100,000 a year. and they are BROKE!!!!!!
we gave up the credit cards and try to save and skimp by. It is tough not to be tempted by new and shiny things, but sacrifices have to be made. even my kids know, family first, farm second, fun a distant 4th. and none of it happens if the work ain't done! thay complain alot, and some guys think I need to let them be kids and not work them, but I see it a bit different than most.

You just happen to have the proper values and your kids will grow up with good values as a result. I am afraid for our children. So many have never been told "NO." I admire anyone that teaches kids as you stated you do.

Parents feel guilty because they both work, money is plentiful and the SKY'S THE LIMIT!! Easy come, easy go.

Christmas isn't Christmas any more.

jigs said:
I listen to Dave nearly every day, and am flabergasted at the amount of people earning over 100,000 a year. and they are BROKE!!!!!!
we gave up the credit cards and try to save and skimp by. It is tough not to be tempted by new and shiny things, but sacrifices have to be made. even my kids know, family first, farm second, fun a distant 4th. and none of it happens if the work ain't done! thay complain alot, and some guys think I need to let them be kids and not work them, but I see it a bit different than most.

Jigs, I'm sure that you will know how important it is to keep a balance, but just to show it again, I would like to reflect back on how my dad kept us kids busy ALL the time. We seldom were allowed to "just be kids", especially the older ones in the family. The resentment this caused still leaves it marks to this day. I would not wish that on anyone. You do not want your kids to feel this way about you some day. Trust me on that one.

The times that you spend with your kids in just affirming their real value as unique persons created for a unique purpose is the most valuable investment you can make in them and in yourself. It will pay you back more than any work that they can ever do for you. Work ethic is important. But it comes a distant second to affirming their value as a person.

I wonder if our "no discipline, anything goes" society affirms them as a person. Personally, I think discipline and respect for others affirms kids as a person. They learn some real values and to appreciate things. Sure, it can go overboard either way. But for kids to work WITH you, learning as they go, correct supervision, the feelings of achievement, what could be better. Sure, fun times are part of it. But life is not all about fun. We need to prepare them and that starts early in their life. That doesn't mean they need to miss out on things, but to appreciate what they get to do.

I'm sorry that your childhood turned you bitter. Dr. Laura says what you are before 30 you can blame on your parents, after that it is up to you how you are and what you do.

Thats the thing about living on a farm or ranch, fathers and kids, (and mothers) work together, building a, usually. good relationship and teaching the kids some responsibility.
There aren't many ocupations where they can do that.

Theres nothing wrong with children working and working hard BUT family fun is soooo important! We always played board games with our children.Thats still the first thing we do after a meal...get out the games.Lots of laughter comes from playing with children!

Board games are excellent interaction with kids. My husband is fairly introverted and his family did not play cards or board games. I sure think they are important. (Not that he wouldn't be intorverted anyway...)

Everything in moderation. What I see nowdays is lots of 'stuff' and not much time spent with kids, which is what they need be it at work or play.

I am a grandma and I read where kids talked about granparents. One little one said "Grandparents are the only grown ups who have TIME for you."

Faster Horses, I think we are pretty close to being on the same page. You used the word "moderation"; I said "balance". I guess there was a time when I was at one time bitter about some stuff in the past, but I've discovered that, well, your quote from Dr. Laura says it all! The past does not need to be our prison. Let's just be careful to not build more of them, especially for others!

Latest posts